BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

06-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Lowered on KW Variant 3

I can't tell you what a win/win situation it is installing these coilovers. The ride is better, the handling is better, the car looks better. The only drawback was a slight gain in weight, very small, but the BMW OEM suspension is cast aluminum and quite light. The total difference is about 6.6 pounds total.

With the car jacked up, the front ride height can be adjusted without removing the wheels (just turn the wheels). The Variant 3 kit has adjustable ride height, compression, and rebound. Compression adjustment can be found at the bottom of the strut, rebound is adjusted at the top of the rod. The adjustments can be measured by a series of clicks. Go here to find out more about adjustment.

The KW kit just exudes quality. No fitment issues whatsoever, everything fit perfectly. The stainless steel assembly resists corrosion, see here. These guys did their homework, this is the only way I would lower my car. Do yourself a favor, don't just buy springs to drop your car.

The rear perch is set to the lowest setting in the "after" pictures. The front still has about 1/2" of lowering left. I kind of like it right now as I haven't had trouble with curbs yet and the car will have a rake if the front sits too low. If I want to drop the front a bit more, I just need to jack up the front and I can get to the ride height adjustment.

Thanks to my friends at Supreme Power, Vorsteiner, and KW.

So the install goes something like this.

You have to take apart the trunk to get at the top of the struts for the rear.

Jack the car up and remove the wheels. This is what the rear looks like.

Loosen the two bolts, remove the spring. Remove the nut from the top strut and the strut should come out. Install spring with perches on top and strut. (I know, I'm leaving out some pictures or details but if you don't know, you might not want to try this).

Here are those two bolts. That black plastic collar around the bottom of the strut is where you can adjust the compression.

Ok, this is what the original front assembly looks like

You need to pop the cover off of top of the strut in the engine compartment.

Compress spring, remove top.

This is what it looks like with the assembly removed.

You need to compress the KW assembly to attach the top. Then install.

I wouldn't recommend you install this without having really good resources at your disposal. Like a lift, spring compressor, good tools, etc. $300 for an experienced installer is money well spent.

OEM rear weight 9.35 pounds (OEM perch not shown but it weighs about 1 pound) vs KW rear 10.95 pounds with perch.

OEM front weight 7.2 pounds KW front 8.9 pounds

Before

This is after

Last edited by badfish; 06-24-2008 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
kosh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m3 e92

Haw about ride comfort?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh View Post
Haw about ride comfort?
These are adjustable. And the way they are adjusted right now it's more comfortable than OEM. Keep in mind I have no EDC.
      06-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

how much
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
kuruptracing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Soon 2015 M4

Garage List
that drop looks amazing! very nice write-up by the way!... do you have any rubbing issues? if so did you have to roll the fenders?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruptracing View Post
that drop looks amazing! very nice write-up by the way!... do you have any rubbing issues? if so did you have to roll the fenders?
Thank you. No rubbing issues whatsoever, no rolling fenders.

As for the price, a good shop should charge you about $300 to install them. Check in the classifieds as several vendors here carry them.
      06-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

One of the Best Drops I have ever seen on the E92 M3!!!!
Badfish, Your car keeps getting SICKER and Sicker my friend!

Please post more pics!!!!!!

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:58 AM   #8
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Fantastic drop. Only reason I have not bought those is because I have EDC. Do you knwo what happens other than it gets eliminated? You know, malfunctions, dash lights, etc...?
      06-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Oh, and is there weight savings?
      06-05-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Fantastic drop. Only reason I have not bought those is because I have EDC. Do you knwo what happens other than it gets eliminated? You know, malfunctions, dash lights, etc...?
From what I understand they have code isolator units that will eliminate all the errors. See picture below. Also, there is not a weight savings as the OEM parts I removed were mostly cast aluminum. The car will gain about 6.6 pounds overall for non-EDC. I don't know how much those EDC code eliminators weigh.

Last edited by badfish; 06-24-2008 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #11
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

OK thanks for the info and the pics!
      06-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #12
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328

KW V3s on E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
These are adjustable. And the way they are adjusted right now it's more comfortable than OEM. Keep in mind I have no EDC.
That's great to hear. I have the V3s on my E46 M3 and plan on putting them on my E92 when it shows up. I LOVE the KWs. My perception is they are some of the highest quality coilovers you can buy and my E46 rides amazingly well, considering I have it very low. My understanding is the isolator units disable the EDC and eliminate any error codes. We don't have pricing info on the isolator units yet.

I would prefer not to get the EDC, but I want DCT and if you are as impatient as I am about getting the new M3, I'll probably end up with EDC. It seems most cars are coming in pretty much fully optioned.

Check out website over the next week or so for more info about the KWs.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
unique
SiDeWaYz
Rep
Drives: M3

how does it corner and handle??????????????????????????
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #14
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Wonder how I missed this thread before.

WOW, I'm loving EVERYTHING you have done to the car...wheels, drop, lip, etc

Digging how the wheels kinda match the tail lights
      06-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Frankie D
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6 gran coupe

car is perfect
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #16
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Nice, I love your wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #17
drsnooz
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 M5

I am interested in the KW coilovers for the E92 M3 and understand that it will negate EDC. My question is what would happen if the system were restored back to stock after a KW coilover mod (i.e. error codes, EDC function, etc...)?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 01:10 AM   #18
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

What about EDC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnooz View Post
I am interested in the KW coilovers for the E92 M3 and understand that it will negate EDC. My question is what would happen if the system were restored back to stock after a KW coilover mod (i.e. error codes, EDC function, etc...)?
This is all new with the EDC on the new E92 M3. The isolator disables the EDC and prevents error codes. Removing the isolator and reinstalling the OE shocks and spring would restore the original functionality, so you would NOT want to sell the OE parts unless you're 100% sure you'll never put the car back to stock.

I'll be parting out my E46 M3 at the end of the month in anticipation of delivery of my E92 M3 at the end of July. I waited until I could get DCT. The only parts I didn't keep were my original wheels, so I'll be selling the E46 M3 with Velocity Motoring VB3s or put on the SSR GT3s I had on when Bimmer Mag did the article on my car.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #19
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie D View Post
car is perfect
Thanks. I'm sorry to see it go, but the new journey begins.

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #20
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

Volk Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
Nice, I love your wheels.
Thanks. Those are a set of Volk Racing TE-37s in titanium gunmetal. They are 18X9.5 ET35 front and 18x10.5 ET25 rear, and I have BF Goodrich R1s in 265/285 I have mounted on the rims since those pics were taken. Those were. I'm keeping those for the new E92 M3 and should fit perfectly. In talking to our rep at Mackin, the fitment for the new M3 will be 19x9.5 front and 19x10.5 rear with a more aggressive rear offset. The gives us the opportunity to run 275 front & 295 rear. WOW!!

I was really pleasantly surprised to stick my hand under the rear fenders of the new M3 and find NO lip, so there is a LOT of room for big wheels and tires on the new car. Because of that, I will probably be selling my 19" Volks to get the 9.5" fronts. The Volk Racing E46 M3 sets were configured with 8.5s in the front.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #21
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie D View Post
car is perfect
Thanks. I'm sorry to see it go, but the new journey begins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPS View Post
Thanks. Those are a set of Volk Racing TE-37s in titanium gunmetal.
I don't mean to be rude or assuming but you do realize they could be referring to my car don't you? Since this is a thread I started...
      06-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
Bob@BPS
United_States
Rep

OOPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I don't mean to be rude or assuming but you do realize they could be referring to my car don't you? Since this is a thread I started...
D'oh...so sorry. You're car IS beautiful and my new car will actually look very much like your E92 M3. The look of YOUR car has me excited about getting a new AW E92 M3. You have done a beautiful job.

I apologize if I rudely hijacked your thread. I apparently was assuming the poster was referring to the pics of my Volk track wheels, since that was the flow of the conversation. You know what "they" say about the word assume.

This thread is about YOUR car, so pics deleted.

Bob

Bimmer Performance Store
Appreciate 0