BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

05-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5

Question for anyone that drove both the M3 and C63.

Is the C63 noticeably faster than the M3? Or it's about the same? I am trying to decide on which car to get; the engin on the C63 is just a monster, but the "///M" and the look of the M3 is just too attractive!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

C63 has more torque and is also faster in a straight line.

The track and curves though? No comparison
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
markdds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I've tried to get a test drive at Downtown LA Motors but they said they'd only let me if I committed to buying the car. I declined.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

I know the C63 is faster, but is it really obvious? I would assume not, because according to Edmunds' test the quarter mile of both M3 and C63 are both in the 12.x range. I just want to get opinions from people who got to drove both cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
markdds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-Turismo View Post
I know the C63 is faster, but is it really obvious? I would assume not, because according to Edmunds' test the quarter mile of both M3 and C63 are both in the 12.x range. I just want to get opinions from people who got to drove both cars.
It's the torque that makes the C63 feel faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
YES. it is noticably faster, and it's because of the torque. It snaps your neck back under full throttle, whereas the M3 is quick and gives you a shove, but it's much gentler. The M3 revs forever, the C63 just feels stronger to me.

That's why I bought one today!

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246317
      05-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #7
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Nice Hans!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #8
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
YES. it is noticably faster, and it's because of the torque. It snaps your neck back under full throttle, whereas the M3 is quick and gives you a shove, but it's much gentler. The M3 revs forever, the C63 just feels stronger to me.

That's why I bought one today!

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246317
Hey, is that the darkest gray they got? The SG color on the M3? If I get that car I might pick that color too. Got a question for you, is the C63 actually faster or it just feels faster because of the torque. The reaosn why I asked this is because they both got 12.x quarter mile times. BTW, what is the clear reflector thing you getting? And nice car!!! You should show me it sometime since we live pretty close to eachother!!! xD

Last edited by eNCore; 05-30-2008 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 06:16 AM   #9
Irish Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

It is definitely faster - one thing you have to ask yourself is what kind of driving do you normally do. Probably just day-to-day city driving with short little stints of gassing it - this is where the C63 will shine. The torque is rediculous on that car, and to back that up it has 451 hp. As far as the feel of speed the C63 should and will FEEL faster.

As far as actual times go, they will be close.... however, unless the person in the M3 really knows how to drive - I'd say that the C63 should be repeatably faster almost everytime.

They really are two different machines - I'd reccommend driving them both.
      05-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep

Hopefully I will soon, but no Merc dealer right now will give a test drive. -.-
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
C63 is faster but it has a much harsher ride. It was quite a turnoff for both me and my wife.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Is the C63 noticeably faster than the M3? Or it's about the same? I am trying to decide on which car to get; the engin on the C63 is just a monster, but the "///M" and the look of the M3 is just too attractive!!!
C63 is faster, but you think that's fast, wait until you flash the engine software and unleash the more ponies
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
mcorliss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 M-Sport (Loaded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
C63 is faster but it has a much harsher ride. It was quite a turnoff for both me and my wife.
It is true that it is a firmer ride, but I found it acceptable, not overly harsh. The M3 with Electronic Damp... is more adjustable.

Both nice cars, you wouldn't go wrong with either one. However, the C63 is definitely faster, everytime.

The M3 does provide quicker lap times. Question: how many times are you driving on the track on the way to work??

Overall winner: C63 (rarer/more exotic, faster, less expensive)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
It is true that it is a firmer ride, but I found it acceptable, not overly harsh. The M3 with Electronic Damp... is more adjustable.

Both nice cars, you wouldn't go wrong with either one. However, the C63 is definitely faster, everytime.

The M3 does provide quicker lap times. Question: how many times are you driving on the track on the way to work??

Yes, because we fucking nurburgring to work. way to go. excellent post.

I considered the C63, the ride sucked, the handling sucked, and it is missing many options that the M3 has, most notably the Comfort Access.

Yes, I do plan on tracking the car a few times a year, even if I didn't I wouldn't take the C63. If I wanted a rare exotic german car I'd have the sense to buy an Audi S6 or RS4
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:

How many 12 second, 115mph quarter miles connect you to your office? Steering precision, weight, handling, and ride however are with you at all times.

The track is where true automotive performance is measured, the C63 is an on-ramp hero but not a track star. A quarter mile is just a short straight between corners to this driving enthusiast, a means to an end.

There will be fewer C63's on the road but there are plenty of AMGs, I saw what looked like an AMG M-B minivan on my way from work this afternoon, she didn't look like an auto enthusiast, her kids seemed to be enjoying their movie however.

I shopped the C63, along with others, I liked it, but could do without the decorative bodywork flourishes. It just tries too hard to play the player.

Congrats on your new car Hans, it's all about smiles per mile in the end.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Yes, because we fucking nurburgring to work. way to go. excellent post.

I considered the C63, the ride sucked, the handling sucked, and it is missing many options that the M3 has, most notably the Comfort Access.

Yes, I do plan on tracking the car a few times a year, even if I didn't I wouldn't take the C63. If I wanted a rare exotic german car I'd have the sense to buy an Audi S6 or RS4
"The ride sucked, the handling sucked..."

You must have driven a Smart car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 03:43 AM   #17
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
"The ride sucked, the handling sucked..."

You must have driven a Smart car.
Agree, handling does not suck on the C63. Yes the M3 is more precise, but that is not to say the C63 handling sucks.

The IS-F does slower lap times than the C63. I wouldn't say the IS-F handling sucks either. Just different levels of performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 03:45 AM   #18
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Congrats Hans great f*cking car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 08:26 AM   #19
aggie57
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S

Quote:
Same here. In the first 100 metres (sorry yards) I realised it was not for me. It felt just like my 2003 C200K with a bloody great V8, rocks for springs and seriously uncompromising seats that would be a real pain to live with every day.

But horses for courses - for others it'll be exactly what they want which is fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #20
M3NTAL
Baller, Shot Caller
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, AMG G55 & more

Quote:

I've never seen "rarer" or "more exotic" and "less expensive" used in the same sentence or talking about the same thing for that matter, they seem to be contradictory statements, that's because they are.

The only reason they are rare is because fewer people are buying them than the M3, and I wonder why Don't call me a fanboy, I'm all for AMG Mercedes, I have two in my garage, and if they can come out with a car that can actually handle like an M3 and put down the massive loads of torque & horsepower, then I would for sure buy another one. In fact I was interested in a C63 before I considered an M3. I test drove one of the first C63s to make it in the country, and while it was fun as hell, and produced smiles, it left me cringing everytime I hit one of the notorious spring-time mid-western pot holes. Not only that, I would get the 19" wheel option, it looks so much better imo, and that would make the ride even worse. Mercedes has made leaps and bounds to better this AMG C-Class, only a couple things have held it back from taking the M3's crown, and that's awesome, but it's still second place.

I believe the both companies have some work to do. BMW M-Division with adding horsepower and especially torque to the M3, and AMG with refining the handling, ride quality, and adaptability with the C63. If both were able to do this, then, we'd have a hell of a competition on our hands.
      05-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #21
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:

Ah... a highway hero.

I derive much greater driving pleasure from the bends
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #22
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
In any case, C63 buyers should wait for the P30 option for 09 cars and get a proper LSD and even harsher suspension, can't believe they'd put a torque monster in this car not stick an LSD in it, but then who needs one when it's at it's best being a morning commute missile.
I bet the traditional AMG buyer won't miss a thing. Could you imagine an M3 with an open diff? of course not, because the M division isn't stupid.

As far as the numbers go, my local and sole MB dealer is getting three 2008, and perhaps 5 2009s, all the 09s are available to buy with delivery in August, they've yet to delivery one 2008 as of last week.
My local and sole BMW dealership is getting and selling more M3s in a month than the MB dealership is receiving in a year; and they only have one M3 coupe available on the floor. Very similar story with the IS-F according to my local and sole Lexus dealer. I'd be curious to see the numbers if anyone has access to them.

If rare and exotic are a function of being less desirable and marketable then I guess an Aztec would also fit this criteria. One would think that the AMG being potentially less expensive with more ponies they would be outselling the M3 and ISF 2:1 but it's not and it won't. Not poking at the car, just the logic. I suppose you won't see many on the street, but then there are plenty of C class cars, it's not a SLR.
Appreciate 0