F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F30 drive era for handle / lock failure
proTUNING Freaks

01-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Knuckle89
Rep
Drives: F30 320d SE 6MT MY2013

F30 drive era for handle / lock failure

I'm getting a now frequent issue with my door. Often after locking the car, when I return and unlock it the door pin goes up but I can't physically open it. The handles pull out on the inside and out but nothing happens.

Eventually, usually after climbing over the passenger seat, the door handle will operate as if nothing happens minutes later.

Here's what I know:
-Only happens after being locked
-So far only the interior handle has opened the door but this too is disabled to start with
-Seems more likely to happen after a longer period of being locked but some exceptions

Any recommendations on what this could be?

Video here not that it will tell you much.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Something inside the lock mechanism is starting to fail. Impossible to tell exactly what. Could be the servo motor, or the rod that actually connects parts might be starting to slip and need replacement or re-securing.

Basically, you either get the door stripped apart now (while it is easy to do so, because the door opens), or you wait until it fails properly, and are then faced with a larger bill when they have to tear apart the door panel, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I'd do a search for "actuator" & see if that is a common issue on these cars, like it was for the E39 & E46.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:03 AM   #4
Knuckle89
Rep
Drives: F30 320d SE 6MT MY2013

Well I spoke to my independent, he is fairly confident that it's this issue here as per a bulletin

Its definitely worse when it's cold (about 3 degrees and below Celsius)

£44 to fix, hopefully that is the issue
Appreciate 2