F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 500 mile review - my new 440i GC
Extreme Powerhouse

12-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

500 mile review - my new 440i GC

Engine & exhaust
I haven’t driven a petrol engine in years, and I’m enjoying it , although I’m driving like a granny for the first 1,000 miles or so. It’s smooth and very refined, makes a lovely sound, and doesn’t need working hard, which was a minor concern, considering the deficit in torque as compared with my 330D with MPPK. Cold start up is very seductive.

Steering
I think this is an improvement over what I’m used to. I had the VSS option on my pre-LCI F31, which just felt light, all the time. I know that BMW steering is never going to be what it was since they went electronic all those years ago, but the F36 LCI standard rack feels nicely weighted on turn in and doesn’t need correcting much when you’re heading in a straight line on the motorway

Transmission
Well suited to the engine, although it seems slightly too eager to change into 7th/8th as soon as possible when taking it easy, which is fine, I suppose, and helps with MPG. Still running in so I only expect things to improve when I get the chance to open her up more.
It’s a shame that there’s no manual option on the 440i in the UK – I think it would be a lot of fun, and would suit the engine well. The only advantage of living in the US, period

Tyres
She came with Bridgestone Potenzas RFT’s, and I hate them. They will have to go. Jittery and noisy – and crap in the wet, by all accounts

Space
No complaints – mind you, I haven’t let anyone else in the car yet!

Digital cockpit
Nothing to shout about. If specc’ing again, I’d drop it and replace it with the reversing camera, which I hardly ever used on the F31 and am now missing!?

Seats – electronic adjustment
Nice – that much easier to get your position spot on

Adaptive dampers
Had them before and one of the first options I ticked this time around so nothing to say which hasn’t already been said. The ride would be optimal though if she wasn’t on the Bridgetsones – aaaggghh!

Adaptive LEDs
Drove back from the Midlands at the weekend in the dark and they seem fine. Difficult to say if they are as bright as my adaptive xenon’s on the F31 – about the same, I think. Rural minor roads will be a better test

Folding mirrors
The mirrors fold at the press of a button – genius!

M Sport Plus
Had it before, had to have it again. Simples. Am liking the 704M Orbit grey alloys. They look just right, and offer lots of space to get to the callipers for a change as I had 403M’s before, which were knuckle busters

Storage package
Ridiculous that you have to pay £150 odd for somewhere to put your shades?!

Speed limit display
Had it before, had to have it again. It doesn’t always get it right but it helps to stop me from getting points, and that’s worth paying for.

Colour and trim
I’m glad I went for Carbon Black with the Ivory White / Carbon Alu interior. CB is awesome. Both will be a bugger to maintain, mind you. You only have to look at CB and she gets dirty. The Carbon Alu trim is nice, and dark enough to provide a bit of contrast with the light seats. I’d originally ordered Alpine White with black interior – as per my F31 – and changed the order after a few weeks.
Having her detailed at the mo’ as the dealer’s standard of paintwork preparation was really poor. They used an abrasive polish to clean the car – WTF!? Will post some decent pics when I get her back.

Thanks for reading
Attached Images

Last edited by TodmordenLad; 12-20-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 6
jeffc83725.00
Aberle74.00
Beek707.00
CJ4211559.00
      12-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Congratulations and enjoy it in good health!

What's this storage package you speak of? What did BMW delete now?

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post

Hi Jeff
In the UK we get charged for what's referred to as Extended Storage, so I got it wrong above

Extended Storage includes a range of practical additional storage options, making the transportation of cargo even more secure. Two 12V sockets offer additional charging options. Among the interior storage compartments are a folding compartment on the driver's side and a storage net on the back of the front seats. What's more, in the luggage compartment there is a bag hook and retaining strap on the left, a storage net on the right, as well as a storage net for the luggage compartment floor.

Exciting stuff...
      12-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
440GCSTL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440 Gran Coupe

Congrats! Nice looking ride.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post

Hi Jeff
In the UK we get charged for what's referred to as Extended Storage, so I got it wrong above

Extended Storage includes a range of practical additional storage options, making the transportation of cargo even more secure. Two 12V sockets offer additional charging options. Among the interior storage compartments are a folding compartment on the driver's side and a storage net on the back of the front seats. What's more, in the luggage compartment there is a bag hook and retaining strap on the left, a storage net on the right, as well as a storage net for the luggage compartment floor.

Exciting stuff...
I'm still jealous of the leather delete option if it's still available! (miss cloth haha)

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Great looking car !! I expect my new carbon black beauty first thing in the new year, can’t wait! Really appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

We pay for Storage package here as well, 300 bucks. I ordered it, as I like the bag hooks in the trunk.
Appreciate 2
jeffc83725.00
      12-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #7
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian eh! View Post
Great looking car !! I expect my new carbon black beauty first thing in the new year, can’t wait! Really appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

We pay for Storage package here as well, 300 bucks. I ordered it, as I like the bag hooks in the trunk.
I keep forgetting about that feature, thanks for bringing it up haha

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Nice review and a beautiful car. Many think the B58 is perfectly mated to the ZF tranny and I happen to agree, but as you say a manual might be a lot of fun too. It does seem about the only people who think RFT's belong on a BMW is ... the people at BMW, go figure? Anyway, yes by all means get rid of the Run Flat's as soon as possible! I'd also recommend the MPPSK, a noticeable bump power and the exhaust can be quiet when you want it to be and gloriously loud and all snarly when you want that too so the best of all worlds, not cheap though. Give us another review after you've done a proper break in.
      12-21-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Nice review. I should just like to mention that the 440i GC isn't available with a 6MT in the U.S., I have never seen a GC with a manual as a matter of fact. I would have bought a 440i GC if it was available with a manual.

I really like the way your 440i GC looks, it's a beautiful car. Congratulations!

Charles
      12-22-2017, 02:31 AM   #10
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Nice review. I should just like to mention that the 440i GC isn't available with a 6MT in the U.S., I have never seen a GC with a manual as a matter of fact. I would have bought a 440i GC if it was available with a manual.

I really like the way your 440i GC looks, it's a beautiful car. Congratulations!

Charles
My apologies, I thought the 440i was available with manual transmission in the US. Shame it isn't
      12-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #11
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
My apologies, I thought the 440i was available with manual transmission in the US. Shame it isn't
Both the 440i and 440i xDrive ARE available as 6MT in the US

Both the 440i GC and 440i GC xDrive are NOT available as 6MT in US
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #12
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb Mode View Post
Quote:
Both the 440i and 440i xDrive ARE available as 6MT in the US

Both the 440i GC and 440i GC xDrive are NOT available as 6MT in US
Aha
Thanks for the clarification
      12-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i MSport GC

Great review mate, I agree with everything apart from the digital dash, I love it, you've had yours a couple of weeks more than me, Mines in for a new car detail in Jan so I'll do a bit of an update then

Enjoy

Jay
Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:
F36 440i M Sport GC STORMTROOPER

Previous:
F30 320d M Sport Xdrive STORMTROOPER
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Just to (agree with and) amplify a couple of points...

I was restricted financially to what I MUST have, rather than what I want :-)
So I have an almost vanilla car.

Coming from an E91 335d.

Basic LED headlights - good enough. Better than Adaptive Xenons on the E91 on Dip beam.

I don't miss the MSport pack - I'm not an Audiophile and don't need drug dealer glass in the back. The standard brakes are good enough for 99.5% of what I do.

I'm on standard 18's (with Michelin's) and the ride (and handling) is far better than the E91, so I can't complain.

Much quieter inside than the E91.

Space: Better all round than the E91. Boot is arguably bigger, just that the dog has a limited headroom in parts - first time I had the dog in, I only removed the panel behind the seat. Made him duck when the boot lid came down on his head, so now the tailgate panel comes off too when I need a dog in.

I miss the Extended Storage too. I knew I wasn't going to get the drivers knee panel cubby, so I didn't spec this, but I do miss the net in the right rear boot panel - ideal for small odds and ends, fire extinguisher, poo bags, leads etc.

Digital Display - OK, I know I didn't NEED this, but...... I'm glad I've got it, just as a toy. And now I've had it, I would specify again. Not overly keen on the red Sport setup generally - maybe because I'm old.

Eco Pro - just not for me thanks. See last sentence.

Gearbox and associated software is a revelation. I know it's been said before, but it is a peach. A real slush box when you are pootling at low revs, but give it some right foot and a tug on the paddle gives a very satisfying kick in the back.

Engine. What can I say. Better point and squirt capability than the 335d even at running in speeds. After 1000 miles, a large right foot is guaranteed to bring out a huge grin as the six howls towards red line. Pull the lever. Kick-in-the-back. Howl. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Lovely.

And I'm still averaging around 32 miles per (Great British) gallon with mixed motoring.

As a bonus, the Wife likes it too, although she'll probably never drive it.

A Sensible Family Hatchback indeed.
Appreciate 3
Beek707.00
      12-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #15
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

I tested a loaded 440i GC and came to a different conclusion...

Space was really an issue for me. The cabin felt slightly tighter than my 2014 435i xDrive coupe to me: I was banging my elbow on the armrest. The trunk is not much bigger than the coupe's, although it is more accessible.

Then there is the run flats and no proper sports suspension issue. I really couldn't feel much difference in the VSS steering from my 435i coupe, but then I was quite happy with it anyway. The power train is still brilliant, and it is the best thing about the car, apart from the usual great ergonomics and all around visibility.

I ended up opting for an Audi S5 Sportback, largely on the basis of the roomier front seats, larger trunk, no run flats and a true sports suspension. The tradeoff here is that the powertrain is not quite as responsive and the ergonomics not quite as driver-focused as the BMW. Perhaps after six BMWs in a row I just needed a change.

The bonus is an interior which is more on par with an F80 than anything in the F4x brood, and styling which is more coupe-like and cohesive to my eye. But, what the heck - your car looks great. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #16
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
Space was really an issue for me. The cabin felt slightly tighter than my 2014 435i xDrive coupe to me: I was banging my elbow on the armrest. The trunk is not much bigger than the coupe's, although it is more accessible.

Then there is the run flats and no proper sports suspension issue. I really couldn't feel much difference in the VSS steering from my 435i coupe, but then I was quite happy with it anyway. The power train is still brilliant, and it is the best thing about the car, apart from the usual great ergonomics and all around visibility.

I ended up opting for an Audi S5 Sportback, largely on the basis of the roomier front seats, larger trunk, no run flats and a true sports suspension. The tradeoff here is that the powertrain is not quite as responsive and the ergonomics not quite as driver-focused as the BMW. Perhaps after six BMWs in a row I just needed a change.

The bonus is an interior which is more on par with an F80 than anything in the F3x brood, and styling which is more coupe-like and cohesive to my eye. But, what the heck - your car looks great. Enjoy!
Thanks for your post. I did consider the A5 but preferred the looks and the drive of the Gran Coupe and BMW deals in the UK are much better than Audi's
Both are fine cars
      12-28-2017, 02:21 AM   #17
juggsy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

Great write-up and sums up many of my thoughts. I picked up my snapper rocks 440i GC last week, first BMW after a string of VW brand cars. The power train is definitely the highlight for me, I too was looking at an S5 sportback but preferred the looks and little more theatre of the Beemer.

I agree on the digital dash, I have it and it's nice but doesn't do a great deal. I ended up adding the HUD as well and TBH that's all you need, although I do think it improves the overall feel of the cabin compared with the slightly dated dials.

Overall, very happy after my first week of ownership!
Appreciate 1