F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New member, new purchase F30.. 2-3k to spend. Pimp my ride
Studio RSR

11-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive m-sport

New member, new purchase F30.. 2-3k to spend. Pimp my ride

Hi all,

Just picked up a 2014 335i M-Sport black/black w/ premium & tech package, 30k miles and 10 months left on warranty.

I've searched around and have seen so many great cars and mods from you guys. Wondering what thoughts you have for upgrades with 2 to 3k to spend.

I'm assuming any performance mods would void warranty so thinking I'll have bmw go through it before any mods.

First things will be light tint and matched paint lip spoiler. Any lip spoiler suggestions?

Noticed there's no fog lights, will need to research adding those. Possibly wood grain or carbon interior mods (currently black w stock silver metal)

Once these tires wear a bit more I was thinking sell these and pick up m3 wheels and better tires. Then intake, tune, and axelback exaust.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

Pic1
Pic2
Appreciate 1
zamboni1130.50
      11-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

better tires would be my first pick, followed by springs/coilovers (stock xdrive wheel gap is ridiculous) and then a tune/downpipe
jmg18705.00
      11-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

You can get the mppk for about $1400 and it won't void your warranty. It should also have the same fuel economy and remain emissions legal. You'll have some money leftover for rims as well or other m performance pieces if you don't want to void warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
better tires would be my first pick, followed by springs/coilovers (stock xdrive wheel gap is ridiculous) and then a tune/downpipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
You can get the mppk for about $1400 and it won't void your warranty. It should also have the same fuel economy and remain emissions legal. You'll have some money leftover for rims as well or other m performance pieces if you don't want to void warranty.

Nice thanks. So suspension and software coding (forgot to mention I want to do this also.. not sure on cost) voids warranty but not mppk?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Easy. Tune..maybe BM3..I have Jb4 but the BM3 route looks promising. CP. DP. You have more cash so let the others chime in. I had a year on warranty and went with a JB4, CP and DP right away..figured life was too short to not enjoy my car. I would say get a detailing kit...that will set you back several hundred.
      11-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by outspiral View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post

Nice thanks. So suspension and software coding (forgot to mention I want to do this also.. not sure on cost) voids warranty but not mppk?
Yes coding could potentially do this but you can always code it back to stock if you're unsure. Coding usually isn't a problem though since you're just changing some default settings. Mppk is made by bmw so it won't void the warranty if your car has one. It will even raise the resale value of your car as it is a factory upgrade and you can even order it port installed if you were buying a new car but it can be installed after the fact as well. I just looked online and you can get the mppk for $995 on getbmwparts.com so that leaves you with a grand left to spend on other stuff like a jb4 which will give you m3 levels of power but could affect your warranty and may not be emissions legal but you can disable it when getting a smog check and then turn it back on.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

definitely keeping the cat because I dislike that sound/emissions. At most doing something similar to MPE. I will look into the charge pipe though. Good to know mppk won't void warranty.. I guess I have a decision either go JB4 / CP / Exaust and forget warranty or go mppk / mpe. Yeah and I have a dog.. just ordered an aggressive rear seat cover. Will def need a detail kit
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #8
s2kvee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Hi all,

Just picked up a 2014 335i M-Sport black/black w/ premium & tech package, 30k miles and 10 months left on warranty.

I've searched around and have seen so many great cars and mods from you guys. Wondering what thoughts you have for upgrades with 2 to 3k to spend.

I'm assuming any performance mods would void warranty so thinking I'll have bmw go through it before any mods.

First things will be light tint and matched paint lip spoiler. Any lip spoiler suggestions?

Noticed there's no fog lights, will need to research adding those. Possibly wood grain or carbon interior mods (currently black w stock silver metal)

Once these tires wear a bit more I was thinking sell these and pick up m3 wheels and better tires. Then intake, tune, and axelback exaust.

Pic1
Pic2

how much did you pick up the car for?... i just bought mine on the 20th this month... 2013 model msport 6 speed, almost fully loaded.. just missing LDW, Automatic parking assist, radar cruise control....

but so far i spend around 2-3k to pimp it out as well...

heres what've done and how much i paid so far..

Exterior:
M Performance style full lip kit - $375 new (ebay)
M Performance OEM CF Rear spoiler - $150 new (local)
Weather tech window visors - $60 used (ebay)
Style 403 M Sport wheels and tires - $600 (local)
m3 style gloss black grilles - $50 new (ebay)
m3 style carbon fiber mirror covers - $80 new (ebay)
OEM Front + rear reflectors - $8 used (ebay) - I CF vinyl wrapped them
35% front + 20% rear window tint - $260 (shop install)

Interior:
M Performance Shift knob w/ boot - $135 used (F30post)
Bmw oem floor liners - $140 new (ebay)

Performance:
Clutch stop - $10 new (ebay)
JB4 + Topspeed pro1 Catless downpipe - $500 new (local)
BMS intake + Evo Racewerks CP + VRSF Intercooler - $380 used (local)

MISC:
Bimmer code IOS app - $25 (app store)
Vline OBD Wifi adapter - $20 new (amazon)

installation cost not inlcuded, i did most of the install myself... only thing a shop touched was the window tint...... but here how i spent my 2-3k
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Better tires are going to be the best first purchase, they will improve your performance and confidence in every category, on top of being so much more comfortable.

If you want more power under warranty, get a Dinan Sport or JB+. You can install and remove both in under a minute with no trace, if the need arises.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
jmg18705.00
      11-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Sell it, add 2k and get yourself a beauty F32 coupé which hasnt to mod

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Sell it, add 2k and get yourself a beauty F32 coupé which hasnt to mod
nothing around here 2k more or even close.. and it's the same engine so why wouldn't I mod.. and don't love the look.. and I have a dog so want a sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Better tires are going to be the best first purchase, they will improve your performance and confidence in every category, on top of being so much more comfortable.

yeah I'm gonna let these wear out first a bit. did you get a full spare or just a donut? annoying there is nowhere to put it. or I guess I could just carry around a can of fix-a-flat

If you want more power under warranty, get a Dinan Sport or JB+. You can install and remove both in under a minute with no trace, if the need arises.
thanks will look these up

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kvee View Post
how much did you pick up the car for?... i just bought mine on the 20th this month... 2013 model msport 6 speed, almost fully loaded.. just missing LDW, Automatic parking assist, radar cruise control....

but so far i spend around 2-3k to pimp it out as well...

heres what've done and how much i paid so far..

Exterior:
M Performance style full lip kit - $375 new (ebay)
M Performance OEM CF Rear spoiler - $150 new (local)
Weather tech window visors - $60 used (ebay)
Style 403 M Sport wheels and tires - $600 (local)
m3 style gloss black grilles - $50 new (ebay)
m3 style carbon fiber mirror covers - $80 new (ebay)
OEM Front + rear reflectors - $8 used (ebay) - I CF vinyl wrapped them
35% front + 20% rear window tint - $260 (shop install)

Interior:
M Performance Shift knob w/ boot - $135 used (F30post)
Bmw oem floor liners - $140 new (ebay)

Performance:
Clutch stop - $10 new (ebay)
JB4 + Topspeed pro1 Catless downpipe - $500 new (local)
BMS intake + Evo Racewerks CP + VRSF Intercooler - $380 used (local)

MISC:
Bimmer code IOS app - $25 (app store)
Vline OBD Wifi adapter - $20 new (amazon

installation cost not inlcuded, i did most of the install myself... only thing a shop touched was the window tint...... but here how i spent my 2-3k
Thanks that sounds like a lot of bang for the buck there. I got same non oem spoiler and mats being shipped now. I like those wheels too. Sticker on mine was 30k but that's misleading because we negotiated my trade up rather than the bmw down.. I got what I paid for my '10 A4 and thus saved on taxes by 50%. So it was like I paid 27k for mine with 30k miles. I'm missing the same options. After seeing the passenger mirror I wish I had blind spot warning. That mirror sucks in this car... my only complaint so far besides the tires and the wind noise. I wanted a stick but none around here. Love estoril blue also but none around here that weren't 5k more for the same car. Are you changing the exhaust? They have the mperformance oem axelback on ebay for $800.. not terrible from what I'm seeing elsewhere. Kind of like the quad tip look though.. i assume with quad tips it wouldn't affect warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Have two hundred+ pound sheep dogs & they fit fine in the coupe.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Have two hundred+ pound sheep dogs & they fit fine in the coupe.
That's nice I like this car better 😎

Also just realized I have the cold weather package even though it wasn't listed on the dealer sheet 👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

First thing I did was ditch the stock RFT's and installed some DWS06 Conti's. Ride is night and day. Next up is MPE followed by MPPK a month later.
Appreciate 1
jmg18705.00
      11-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Hi all,

Pic1
Pic2
I would spend spend the 2-3k and get an extended warranty.

I purchased my 2014 435i CPO so I didn't buy the additional warranty. If you decide on mods then getting a bundle deal is the best route. For well under $3k including shipping I got:

-JB4 with Bluetooth kit
-Fabspeed high flow cat
-ER Comp. intercooler
-ER Charge pipe

Other mods include
-CTS turbo intake
-Active Autowerke Exhaust

Give Mike at X-PH a shout he'll hook you up.
Attached Images

11-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #16
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
You said pimp your ride. It wouldn't be pimp your ride without tvs in the headrests. Dont forget the back headrests for the people in the car behind you
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #17
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
You said pimp your ride. It wouldn't be pimp your ride without tvs in the headrests. Dont forget the back headrests for the people in the car behind you
What was I thinking.. ordering tv's now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
I would spend spend the 2-3k and get an extended warranty.

I purchased my 2014 435i CPO so I didn't buy the additional warranty. If you decide on mods then getting a bundle deal is the best route. For well under $3k including shipping I got:

-JB4 with Bluetooth kit
-Fabspeed high flow cat
-ER Comp. intercooler
-ER Charge pipe

Other mods include
-CTS turbo intake
-Active Autowerke Exhaust

Give Mike at X-PH a shout he'll hook you up.
Man so many different performance mods.. tough to research them all. How did you choose the brands you did? Got any sound clips? I would hate to get set up then have to switch something out because its not the sound I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #18
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
First thing I did was ditch the stock RFT's and installed some DWS06 Conti's. Ride is night and day. Next up is MPE followed by MPPK a month later.
what's your thoughts on the differences specifically? tia

also i assume tires don't affect warranty but what about rims? I was thinking I'd get m3 or m performance rims

Last edited by outspiral; 11-29-2017 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #19
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I went with the High flow cat instead of cat less down pipe because of Fabspeed's reputation of their HFC not triggering a CEL and that's spot on.

The CTS Turbo intake was my first mod and the easiest choice actually. If you look at what they stand by, same principal as Fabspeed. They guaranteed no problems, no CEL and best of all great sound and that's definitely a fact. Had it on the car for 8k miles and no issues what so ever the sound is amazing you can hear the suction of the intake and then the whoosh of the diverter valve, exactly what I was looking for.

As far as Charge pipe and intercooler I narrowed my choices to Active Autowerke, Wagner or the Evolution Racewerks. Since I went with the ER Charge pipe I stuck with the ER intercooler which is large so for a daily driver and no tracking I'm sure the Active Autowerke which is a couple hundred less would probably be enough.

I went with the Burger JB4 pretty much because of how popular it was and what it can do for the price point with the ease of in/uninstallation. Even when I was buying my car at a BMW dealer they told me if I didn't want to go with Dinan for power mods they recommend Burger JB4.

As far as exhaust I did not want to spend too much and be too loud. So I heard a couple of sound clips and went with the Active Autowerke gen 2 exhaust. Again I got a great deal on this exhaust from Mike at X-PH because of Black Friday and I had rewards points with them the exhaust came out to $650 shipped you really can't go wrong with that. And I installed it my self. The sound is on the milder side but louder than stock and has a bit of drone between 1k-2k rpm. To me the exhaust sounded louder in the videos but those videos were taken on the outside and behind the car, I'm just going by what I hear from inside the car.
      12-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #20
Bradshaw88
Rep
Drives: 335i

[QUOTE=Seba77W;22480645]Well I went with the High flow cat instead of cat less down pipe because of Fabspeed's reputation of their HFC not triggering a CEL and that's spot on.

The CTS Turbo intake was my first mod and the easiest choice actually. If you look at what they stand by, same principal as Fabspeed. They guaranteed no problems, no CEL and best of all great sound and that's definitely a fact. Had it on the car for 8k miles and no issues what so ever the sound is amazing you can hear the suction of the intake and then the whoosh of the diverter valve, exactly what I was looking for.

As far as Charge pipe and intercooler I narrowed my choices to Active Autowerke, Wagner or the Evolution Racewerks. Since I went with the ER Charge pipe I stuck with the ER intercooler which is large so for a daily driver and no tracking I'm sure the Active Autowerke which is a couple hundred less would probably be enough.

I went with the Burger JB4 pretty much because of how popular it was and what it can do for the price point with the ease of in/uninstallation. Even when I was buying my car at a BMW dealer they told me if I didn't want to go with Dinan for power mods they recommend Burger JB4.

As far as exhaust I did not want to spend too much and be too loud. So I heard a couple of sound clips and went with the Active Autowerke gen 2 exhaust. Again I got a great deal on this exhaust from Mike at X-PH because of Black Friday and I had rewards points with them the exhaust came out to $650 shipped you really can't go wrong with that. And I installed it my self. The sound is on the milder side but louder than stock and has a bit of drone between 1k-2k rpm. To me the exhaust sounded louder in the videos but those videos were taken on the outside and behind the car, I'm just going by what I hear from inside the car.[/QUOTE

Have you gotten your setup dyno'd? I was considering the same configuration with the jb4, ER components, and Fabspeed catted DP.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #21
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Bradshaw88;22530360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
Well I went with the High flow cat instead of cat less down pipe because of Fabspeed's reputation of their HFC not triggering a CEL and that's spot on.

As far as exhaust I did not want to spend too much and be too loud. So I heard a couple of sound clips and went with the Active Autowerke gen 2 exhaust. Again I got a great deal on this exhaust from Mike at X-PH because of Black Friday and I had rewards points with them the exhaust came out to $650 shipped you really can't go wrong with that. And I installed it my self. The sound is on the milder side but louder than stock and has a bit of drone between 1k-2k rpm. To me the exhaust sounded louder in the videos but those videos were taken on the outside and behind the car, I'm just going by what I hear from inside the car.[/QUOTE

Have you gotten your setup dyno'd? I was considering the same configuration with the jb4, ER components, and Fabspeed catted DP.
I haven't got it on the dyno. Let me know if you do
      12-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #22
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
what's your thoughts on the differences specifically? tia

also i assume tires don't affect warranty but what about rims? I was thinking I'd get m3 or m performance rims
Even the best run-flat tire is dynamically disadvantaged to a go-flat, almost entirely because of over-stiff sidewalls. This adversely affects performance in more than one way, the most perceivable difference is how harsh they make the ride. Instead of road imperfections being dampened by the tire, they are pushed into the suspension and then cabin, harshly enough sometimes where the suspension feels like it is "crashing". This phenomenon adversely affects damping control, on top of making you lose the sense of adhesion from all of the noise being transmitted through the steering. On a smooth road, this is not the case, but when it gets rough it is hard to miss, and really knocks confidence. This is a scenario I experienced every day living in the Northeast.

Another downside to RFTs is their lack of tread durability, particularly when placed in performance driving situations, they simply do not hold up nearly as well to high cornering forces, especially once they are hot. Autocrossing at Lime Rock this past June made this extremely apparent. First run they were cold which reduced the grip and had it push a lot, expected as much. Second run they were warmer and performed quite well. On the tail end of my third run I was already running into heat dissipation issues, and then the grip started to fall off a cliff. After my fourth run I noticed the sidewalls were completely scrubbed and there were small chunks missing from the interior portions of tread. After my fifth run, there were large chunks missing, and I had the car towed for fear of the tire belt failing on my way home. The following Monday I had four brand new PS4S fitted, put a can of fix-a-flat in my trunk, and renewed my AAA Gold. All of these things cost less than the price of installing another set of OE run-flats.

Good riddance to those RFTs. It finally felt like I was driving a Luxury vehicle and not the Flintstones family car. It will make a world of difference for someone with my driving habits and location. For some people, I guess they make sense, but in literally every single scenario and metric outside of tire failure, they are disadvantaged to a go-flat. As for implications on your warranty, there are none if you change your wheels or tires. OE wheels are a good choice, just have to make sure to get the offset correct. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is, at best, trying to sell you some run-flats.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0