F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Limp Mode and extra faults... Need advice!
Studio RSR

11-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
marwin888
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Dinan Stg 2

Limp Mode and extra faults... Need advice!

Hey guys,

So I'm going to be taking in my car on Monday to get a couple of stuff checked out. See below:

1- My 2013 335i has been a victim of the infamous limp mode for quite a while now!(Fan makes extreme loud noise while driving, and car will not accelerate after 3000 RPM's. Temporary fix is to turn off the car then it's back to normal) Ironically, the last time I took it in the SA told me they couldn't replicate the issue and told me to monitor it. This was last year around the same time of the year when it is cold out. Throughout the spring and summer I didn't really experience the limp mode but now that it's cold again I'm experiencing the same thing very frequently. Got the CEL code and this is what it says:

1A2108/Intermittent. Electric fan, self diagnosis, interval stage 1: minor fan fault.

2- Another infamous issue, the door lock issue. (Door won't unlock by pulling the handle, unless I physically press the unlock/lock button) Couldn't get a CEL for this. It's been doing it a lot, but I failed to get a video of it. Now it hasn't been happening and afraid they're going to again say "they could not replicate the issue".

3- Idrive system reboots randomly while driving. It happens plenty of times during the day. Got a CEL for it and see below:

B7F1B5/Intermittent- CBX Media: Overvoltage.

The problem with all of these issues is that for every single one of these things they can claim they can't replicate the issue, especially since my vehicle is out of new car warranty BUT does have the CPO warranty. Any advice is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
marwin888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwin888 View Post
Hey guys,

So I'm going to be taking in my car on Monday to get a couple of stuff checked out. See below:

1- My 2013 335i has been a victim of the infamous limp mode for quite a while now!(Fan makes extreme loud noise while driving, and car will not accelerate after 3000 RPM's. Temporary fix is to turn off the car then it's back to normal) Ironically, the last time I took it in the SA told me they couldn't replicate the issue and told me to monitor it. This was last year around the same time of the year when it is cold out. Throughout the spring and summer I didn't really experience the limp mode but now that it's cold again I'm experiencing the same thing very frequently. Got the CEL code and this is what it says:

1A2108/Intermittent. Electric fan, self diagnosis, interval stage 1: minor fan fault.

2- Another infamous issue, the door lock issue. (Door won't unlock by pulling the handle, unless I physically press the unlock/lock button) Couldn't get a CEL for this. It's been doing it a lot, but I failed to get a video of it. Now it hasn't been happening and afraid they're going to again say "they could not replicate the issue".

3- Idrive system reboots randomly while driving. It happens plenty of times during the day. Got a CEL for it and see below:

B7F1B5/Intermittent- CBX Media: Overvoltage.

The problem with all of these issues is that for every single one of these things they can claim they can't replicate the issue, especially since my vehicle is out of new car warranty BUT does have the CPO warranty. Any advice is appreciated!
Update 1:

Issue 1- Because of the limp mode, the dealership is now saying there is an SIB which is to reprogram the ECU and possibly replace the fan (covered under the CPO warranty) as opposed to before where they told me they couldn't replicate my issue, which is good news. The bad news, since I have Dinan installed on my vehicle they want to charge me $520 to remove the Dinantronics (since it is not covered by the CPO warranty) and then the rest of the repair would be covered under the warranty or charge me $120 for the inspection fee and do nothing. As an FYI, this dealership does not do anything Dinan which is why they're charging, I got Dinan installed at another dealership that does do Dinan work. I'm debating whether to just pay the $520 to get it removed then I'll install myself or pay $120 and drive an hour to the dealership that does do Dinan work and hope that they cover the cost of removing the Dinantronics. Any insight would help!

Issue 2- SA came back to say that they're leaning towards the fact that the door lock issue is due to a mechanical component and not the electrical component (Door actuator). As an FYI the mechanical component is not covered under CPO warranty and the electrical component is. I've read through the forums that it most always is the electrical component and that if they fix the mechanical component, the issue comes back. Idk how else to tell them to fix the actuator but also cover it under CPO.

Issue 3- No update. They're not sure if this is covered under CPO.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 01:42 AM   #3
MHL
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW G22 and '22 Volvo S60

I cant give you advice, but i am interested how the story will end. Good luck and keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
marwin888
Private
Rep

Update 3:

Issue 1- Since BMW wanted to charge me to remove the Dinan since it was not covered by the CPO warranty, I ended up paying $120 for the diagnostic fee so I can remove the Dinan and take the car back tomorrow morning so they can move forward with reprogramming the DME and possibly replace the fan.

Issue 2- My luck, they came back claiming that the issue is because of a faulty mechanical component and not electrical. Because they say it's mechanical, it's not covered by the CPO. Not sure what else I have to tell them so they can fix it. This seems like it needs to be covered regardless if it's under warranty or not because it's a safety issue! Idk what else to do.

Issue 3- My luck, they couldn't replicate the issue and they claimed that there was no CEL. So another battle I lost.

Note to self: It is very frustrating dealing with dealerships.
Appreciate 1
MHL13.00
      01-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
neil4
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M Sport

Sent you a PM Marwin888 - I also have the limp mode problem. I was curious if you could post or send me the SIB # for the revised fan and reprogramming on the DME?

Thanks,

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
marwin888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil4 View Post
Sent you a PM Marwin888 - I also have the limp mode problem. I was curious if you could post or send me the SIB # for the revised fan and reprogramming on the DME?

Thanks,

Neil
Yeah here you go.

SI B12 25 13

I responded to your email with a screenshot so you can get all the details!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
marwin888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil4 View Post

Thanks,

Neil
Yeah here you go.

SI B12 25 13

I responded to your email with a screenshot so you can get all the details!
Never mind I couldnt get a a pic to send through DM

Here you go
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
neil4
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Never mind I couldnt get a a pic to send through DM

Here you go
Perfect - thank you! The dealer said they are replacing the fan but didn't mention anything about reprogramming the DME. I am supposed to pick my car up tomorrow so I will make sure the service receipt list something similar to what you posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
JuicedboXed42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 f30 335i Msport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335I  [0.00]
check for a fuel pump recall. Mines a 2013 and SA said to go in. Out of warranty as well. Mine had the same exact symptoms mild at first which later led to a failure.
      01-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Update 3:

Issue 1- Since BMW wanted to charge me to remove the Dinan since it was not covered by the CPO warranty, I ended up paying $120 for the diagnostic fee so I can remove the Dinan and take the car back tomorrow morning so they can move forward with reprogramming the DME and possibly replace the fan.

Issue 2- My luck, they came back claiming that the issue is because of a faulty mechanical component and not electrical. Because they say it's mechanical, it's not covered by the CPO. Not sure what else I have to tell them so they can fix it. This seems like it needs to be covered regardless if it's under warranty or not because it's a safety issue! Idk what else to do.

Issue 3- My luck, they couldn't replicate the issue and they claimed that there was no CEL. So another battle I lost.

Note to self: It is very frustrating dealing with dealerships.
About CPO warranty: did you receive something in writing which explains what is covered and what is not covered?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
marwin888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
About CPO warranty: did you receive something in writing which explains what is covered and what is not covered?
Unfortunately I do not have anything in writing but their website pretty much says what is covered and what is not. As I mentioned, I was able to get the limp mode and door actuators repaired with my CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0