F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Upper plastic coolant line, break easy?
GetBMWParts

11-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Upper plastic coolant line, break easy?

Just wondering if many have had issues with the upper coolant line breaking at the reservoir connection, or the connection on the other end..??

This is the line I'm talking about..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I heard tales that it was prone to breaking on my E92 - DIY replaced it under regular maintenance along with every other hose in the car @ 80K miles

Also did the belt tensioner/idler pulley/belt, coil packs, plugs, coolant res tank+cap, PS res+cap, VANOS solenoids

Then found a great deal on my new F32 MSport, & promptly traded it in 5K miles later - so the guy that bought it off the lot got a car with all the maintenance pre-done

That hose was THE easiest to replace
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

BTW, the reason I ask is because I went and test drove a car at my local Germain Toyota dealer, and it's being sold "as is/whole-sale" with only 49k miles on it, but they refused to fix any of the little stuff, including this coolant hose which is currently broken on the vehicle and coolant was leaking which produced a steamy engine bay after my test drive.. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just fix this $30 hose and be able to sell it for a bit more, so I'm leary on pursuing the purchase.. But just thought I'd ask to see if others have had issues with this hose, and if it's a known thing to break.. Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I heard tales that it was prone to breaking on my E92 - DIY replaced it under regular maintenance along with every other hose in the car @ 80K miles

Also did the belt tensioner/idler pulley/belt, coil packs, plugs, coolant res tank+cap, PS res+cap, VANOS solenoids

Then found a great deal on my new F32 MSport, & promptly traded it in 5K miles later - so the guy that bought it off the lot got a car with all the maintenance pre-done

That hose was THE easiest to replace
Thanks brother, appreciate the quick reply..

https://www.germaintoyotaofnaples.co...3A9C52EF477763

^ I went and test drove this, and it drove fine but had a low coolant light on, TPMS sensor light on, and regular SES light on.. I noticed those wheels were removed and most likely the TPMS were swapped off the car to the wheels which were probably kept by the owner, so that doesn't bother me.. The low coolant light and broken coolant hose, does bother me tho, and they weren't willing to fix it and said it's because the car is being sold "as-is" and I just don't get how that makes any sense... My brain is telling me to stay far away from it, but for $22k and just @ 50k miles, it seems like an easy fixxer upper haha..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Car looks clean from the pics, no HUD though

Someone painted the calipers red also - TPMS prolly not something to worry about (if it is indeed that the sensors are just missing from wheel - which is EZ to tell), but if you get sick of the error you either have to code them out or buy all new sensors for next time you install tires

Coolant line is cheap & EZ, but if it were me I would need to know why the low coolant is ON and even more the SES?

Will they allow you to run diagnostics on the car with an app such as Carly before buying?

Personally, I would never buy ANY car, especially from a dealer, no matter how great the deal is, that didn't have a original or CPO warranty (or warranty of at least some kind)

There has to be a reason they don't want to check over the car & attach a warranty - mebbe they already checked over the car & just don't want to fix whatever is wrong

Without warranty, and taking my chances, I would offer them 18k at most...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Someone painted the calipers red also - TPMS prolly not something to worry about (if it is indeed that the sensors are just missing from wheel - which is EZ to tell), but if you get sick of the error you either have to code them out or buy all new sensors for next time you install tires

Coolant line is cheap & EZ, but if it were me I would need to know why the low coolant is ON and even more the SES?

Will they allow you to run diagnostics on the car with an app such as Carly before buying?

Personally, I would never buy ANY car, especially from a dealer, no matter how great the deal is, that didn't have a original or CPO warranty (or warranty of at least some kind)

There has to be a reason they don't want to check over the car & attach a warranty - mebbe they already checked over the car & just don't want to fix whatever is wrong

It actually did have HUD, as that was one of the first things I noticed on the test drive.

And yes I agree that I definitely shouldn't get this thing without a warranty, which is something I questioned to them and they said that they cannot replace these items even if I did add a warranty because the issues would have been there prior to adding the warranty, sounded kind of fishy to me so I'm thinking of backing off this one and not taking any chances as it just seems to have too many issues, many of which seem relatively easy to fix but are being pushed aside because they are perhaps covering a larger issue. I told my friend who went with me that I was going to bring my laptop next time or at least my cable to plug into my phone and run the error memory to see what's going on in there LOL.. I don't know how fond of that idea the dealer would be but perhaps I could sneak it in there without causing too much notice.

when I started it up it did sound kind of loud so I thought perhaps I had a performance exhaust but when I crawled under there I seen that it was actually a muffler delete, so the car definitely came from somebody who knew a little bit about the platform, at least I'd imagine anyways.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry the pics are kinda blurry, I used the bimmerpost app for the first time and it compressed the shit out of them lol.. But yeah man there's also this weird coating over the entire vehicle that at first I thought was tree sap but it was on all the cars at this dealer and it kinda smeared when I tried to wipe it off lol.. Yeah I'm just gonna keep on looking elsewhere now unless they pull a magic trick and fix all that stuff..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 03:13 AM   #8
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Just imagine how many times the engine has over heated
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #9
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
Just imagine how many times the engine has over heated
That was the first thing to came to mind. If I bring my laptop up there and I run INPA on the error memory will that show if it had overheated or went into limp mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Too much money for so much risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Run away. Don’t look back.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Yes it breaks easily !

Mine broke out of nowhere, and your car will overheat without it.

You have to have it !

This is a very easy fix but it cost somewhere between $50 and $80 in part only.

You can change it yourself, but the condition of the car is unknown... It could be very bad to being nothing.

From the photos, the coolant HAS leaked and exploded in the engine bay, believe me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 04:28 AM   #13
dogmush
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I'm not sure I would want to do any business with a dealer that 1. Allows a car to be test driven with a big coolant leak, and 2. Would actually sell a car with that line cracked.

What are you going to do if you buy it, tow it home?

Last edited by dogmush; 11-28-2017 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 06:18 AM   #14
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmush View Post
I'm north sure I would want to do any business with a dealer that 1. Allows a car to be test driven with a big coolant leak, and 2. Would actually sell a car with that line cracked.

What are you going to do if you buy it, tow it home?
That's exactly what i asked them.. I got the reply, "it's whole sale as is, great deal" lol...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #15
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

YES Chinese-made parts! While maintaining the car I noticed the left side of the hose was a little raised and rubbing against metal frame. I pushed it down gently and the piece of shit just snapped off clean. BMW has new part number and is actually better constructed; the bend is now an inch away from the frame. The damn part costs 80 BUCKS!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Get the VIN and ask a BMW dealership for service history. That will tell you if it faced any real hardships during warranty and of course the car fax
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #17
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Just spoke to dealer, told them I'm going to pass.. They'll probably send it off to the auction and lose tons of money, which is stupid since they could just fix it but apparently each dealer has their own budget and this one just doesn't want to invest a little to make this one sales worthy.. As it is, I don't even think they should be giving test drives, but w/e.. Thanks for input guys..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #18
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Well, that’s assuming (ass-u-me) that they don’t already know there’s something up with that motor.
Appreciate 0