E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lights on when i unlock car??

03-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
zola&osgood
Rep
Drives: 320d SE

Lights on when i unlock car??

I've got Xenons and idrive on a 320d SE. Is it possible to have my lights come on when i lock/unlock the car. My mates CLK 240 does it and it looks cool in my opinion when you open/close the car and the exterior lights come on!!! I thought that was the home light feature but it doesnt seem to work. What am i doing wrong?
Also, what is the daytime running light feature all about?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Unfortunately you cannot have the lights come on when you unlock the car (to my knowledge). The home light feature, is when you turn your car off, and remove your fob - you flash your brights, and the Xenons stay on for a certain amount of time (about 45 seconds) so that you can see infront of the car (or the pathway to your home).

I have heard that in some post-sept production cars - the angel eyes stay on (if the lights are in auto mode - and it's night time) until the car is locked, however in my pre-sept production car, the angel eyes turn off when I open the drivers (or any) door.

Day time running lights uses the inner two halogen bulbs at lower voltage. These lights turn on when ever the car is turned on, and are meant for extra visibilty during the day (Other poeple seeing you). It is law in some countries (eg Canada) to have DRL's. Because you have i-drive, it's a user settable option. Turn them on, let the car run, jump out and see what they do. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
zola&osgood
Rep
Drives: 320d SE

Broken 1 - Thanks for that.
Tried flashing my lights once i removed the fob and you were right! Lights stayed on for a short time, long enough for me to walk to my front door.
However, i enabled the daytime running light feature on the i.drive, got out the car as u said but nothing!!! :mad:
I havnt got auto lights, maybe thats the problem??? But why wud they have the option in the menu??
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 06:14 AM   #4
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

So you mean I don't get a proper 'home light' function with entry & exit illumination??

The Audi i've just sold would put the headlights and tail lights on when you unlocked the car in the dark. This was great for walking to your car in a poorly lit car park or a dark street. (or finding the car when you can't remember exactly where it is!)

Pooh to BMW for that one.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zola&osgood
Broken 1 - Thanks for that.
Tried flashing my lights once i removed the fob and you were right! Lights stayed on for a short time, long enough for me to walk to my front door.
However, i enabled the daytime running light feature on the i.drive, got out the car as u said but nothing!!! :mad:
I havnt got auto lights, maybe thats the problem??? But why wud they have the option in the menu??
I think the car needs to be running. (Ie started but in neutral - if it's an auto - you might even need to be in DRIVE - in which case, park infront of a window or mirror of some sort)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m
So you mean I don't get a proper 'home light' function with entry & exit illumination??

The Audi i've just sold would put the headlights and tail lights on when you unlocked the car in the dark. This was great for walking to your car in a poorly lit car park or a dark street. (or finding the car when you can't remember exactly where it is!)

Pooh to BMW for that one.
What Audi did you just sell? My mother has a 2004 A4 and it doesn't do that?

I agree. Poo to BMW.

I think BMW's answer was the door handle lights, which light up the floor area around the car...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

It was a 2005 A3, but with auto-lights option which also includes entry/exit homelights. I also had a 2003 A4 with the same option and it was v useful.

The BMW 'handle' lights don't really compare for illumination.
Appreciate 0