XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
aparikh1207
Rep
Drives: To many to list....ha

X6 vs. ML550? Opinions appreciated...

I am debating between an X6 and Ml550. Both fully loaded are around $70000. I have driven both, but am still undecided. I love the sound and endless pull of the V8 in the ML. But I also love the cornering ability of the X6, it feels like a sports car compared to other SUV's, SAV's, SAC's or whatever else there are haha. What do you guys think of both? Which would you pick? Thanks! I can't decide....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

Really depends on your needs.

If I didn't need the extra trunk space and didn't need to carry 5 in the car. I'd personally go with the X6. Much more fun to drive. The TT engine is SOOOOOOO smooth. Plus IMO it's definitely a good looking car (not everyone will think so), but it'll grow on people.

The ML550 will get a facelift for 2009 so if you want one of those, wait for it. New bumpers and some interior upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I struggled with the SAV/SAC/SUV purchase for the last 12 months. I finally pulled the trigger on the X6. I wanted something sporty, with some utility, and not a boxy as a typical SUV.

I think the styling, handling, and performance of the X6 represents a new direction for the market overall. As a result, the X5, ML, LR, all look dated compared to the X6 design.

So I would choose the X6 over the ML. Think of the X6 as a lifted 5 series with utility. An option to the 5 series wagon. The ML is best compared to the X5.
      05-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

I have had 2 MLs (ML430 & ML500), and was pretty certain on the 3rd until Mercedes made running boards standard on the 2008 V8 models. I hate running boards; but it was going to be an expensive approach to NOT get them, so I started looking around… now I have a 4.4L twin-turbo X6 squarely in my sites… HOWEVER, I am still giving some thought to the ’09 ML, since I have too much time on my hands while waiting for the ’09 xDrive50i..!

The major issues in this decision for me have been:

Engine technology:
ML has a nice 5.5 liter V8, but I really didn’t want just more displacement. The turbo-charged, direct-injected 4.4 gets the nod here. More advanced technology, better efficiency, more power per liter and so-on.
Desirable features (not for everyone, but these are important to me):
X6 offers Heads-Up display, Active Ventilated seats and Soft Close doors – I just love these features. Mercedes does put ventilated seats on the AMG ML-63, but will not option them out on the ML-550… very frustrating to me. Nod to BMW.
Maintenance costs:
BMW still has 4-years fully paid service (including brake pads & rotors). For both my 2000 and 2004 M-Class SUVs, Mercedes also had free service (though it did not include pads & rotors!). Now they have dropped it – very disappointing… I know many argue that you still pay for service (only up front) when you buy a BMW – but I disagree… 4-years free scheduled maintenance is a big incentive for me to go to BMW.
Resale:
It has been very disappointing to watch the value of my M-Class vehicles go down so fast. I think the M-Class has the highest depreciation of any Mercedes, and is far worse than the BMW X5… I expect the X6 to hold value at least as well as the X5 – so another big nod to BMW.
Looks / Design:
This is totally – personally - subjective… I still like the looks of the M-Class (and the face-lifted ’09 is fine too). But the X6 is simply one of the most appealing profiles I have seen… I just love the lines of this vehicle!!! I would be fine with the ML from a looks point of view, but I have been totally taken by the X6… it’s not just another SUV – there is a far more passionate appeal to the vehicle for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

Morty looks like you answered your own question! X6 it is. Did you have trouble with your tranny or electronics? Consumer reports kept up the drumbeat of defective mercedes to the point where my wife waited a year for e93 vert instead of 55clk that she could have had then and there. She id happy now she did. Cheap
      05-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
John
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

x6 has a unique look to it that no other car has now imo, and i'm sure it will be sporty. i guess just test drive it and find out for yourself. plus it looks much better in person than in does in pics (and it looks GREAT in pics).

goodluck with decision

E90post Project 325i

www.creativeautoworks.com
James@creativeautoworks.com
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
morty
Private
United_States
Rep

So in my earlier post on this subject, I really only mentioned the attributes which are really pushing me towards the X6… but there are several attributes that keep me questioning the decision. The M-Class has a lot to offer, and a few strong points that exceed beyond the X car. And after having two examples of the M-Class over the last 8 years, with very few problems (no engine / transmission / or even electronics issues at all), I am still ‘thinking’ a little.

For example: (again, I’m only comparing the ML-550 to the X6 xDrive50i - V8 to V8)

• The M-Class is 475 pounds lighter.
• Both cars decked out with options – the ML is still going to be easily $10,000 lower in initial price
• The ML is smaller by most every dimension on the exterior, while being larger in EVERY dimension on the inside!
• ML is 3.5 inches shorter in length
• ML is not as wide – the X6 is about 3 inches wider.
• ML is 5 inches taller outside (which leads to the next point)
• ML has more headroom (1” in front, 2” in back)
• ML has more leg room (2” in front, 4” in back)
• ML has equal shoulder room up front, and nearly 3” more in the second row.
• M-Class will seat 3 in the second row.
• ML is more maneuverable in tight parking places – the turning diameter is over 4 FEET smaller for the Mercedes. It takes 42 feet between obstacles to make U-turn with the X6, but only 37.9 for the Mercedes. (I really enjoy how tightly the ML can turn around in parking lots!!).
• For some reason, the BMW does not have second row side airbags… the Mercedes does.

All of these stats come from the Comparison feature on http://autos.msn.com/. This website (MSN autos) is great for doing a side-by-side comparison for features and dimensions. They just added the X6 data a couple weeks back…

So does all this point me back to another Mercedes? Probably not. But it does give you something to think about. And if you are at all worried about second row accommodations, the M-Class is the winner (even over the X5 too). But I’m not planning to carry many people, so give me a 4.4liter, twin-turbo X6… NOW!!!

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

I picked up my X6 last Saturday and have to say it is absolutely awesome! Incredible attention everywhere from stopped at the lights to filling her up at the gas station. Everyone comments on what a great looking car it is - "Looks like a 5'er on steroids" was the comment of the day today! Gas consumption was pretty poor out-of-the-door, but now with 500 miles of mixed road use I'm averaging 17.5MPG overall according to the trip. If you can find one I'd say go for it - having said that, none of the dealers around Chicagoland have any to sell right now according to the SM this week....

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
morty
Private
United_States
Rep

Brought forward for new discussion…
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
So in my earlier post on this subject, I really only mentioned the attributes which are really pushing me towards the X6… but there are several attributes that keep me questioning the decision. The M-Class has a lot to offer, and a few strong points that exceed beyond the X car. And after having two examples of the M-Class over the last 8 years, with very few problems (no engine / transmission / or even electronics issues at all), I am still ‘thinking’ a little.

For example: (again, I’m only comparing the ML-550 to the X6 xDrive50i - V8 to V8)

• Both cars decked out with options – the ML is still going to be easily $10,000 lower in initial price
• The ML is smaller by most every dimension on the exterior, while being larger in EVERY dimension on the inside!
• ML is more maneuverable in tight parking places – the turning diameter is over 4 FEET smaller for the Mercedes. It takes 42 feet between obstacles to make U-turn with the X6, but only 37.9 for the Mercedes. (I really enjoy how tightly the ML can turn around in parking lots!!).
• For some reason, the BMW does not have second row side airbags… the Mercedes does.

All of these stats come from the Comparison feature on http://autos.msn.com/. This website (MSN autos) is great for doing a side-by-side comparison for features and dimensions. They just added the X6 data a couple weeks back…

So does all this point me back to another Mercedes? Probably not. But it does give you something to think about. And if you are at all worried about second row accommodations, the M-Class is the winner (even over the X5 too). But I’m not planning to carry many people, so give me a 4.4liter, twin-turbo X6… NOW!!!

Cheers,
BRAVO!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
aparikh1207
Rep

was just browsing through the forums and saw my old post resurrected. Thought I'd tell you guys, took delivery of my 2009 Ml550 (face-lifted) thursday, and it is truly amazing. The updates they've done to the outside make it look very aggressive, and the interior updates to the nav system are great. It also pulls like no other, it's blazing fast (for an suv). For the same price as a loaded 35i I got this. Have seen more X6's on the road, and must say, they are very imposing, in a good way. The cornering on the ML is surprisingly good too, with the air suspesion/active damping system option, just hit the sport mode button, and it becomes great. The X6 still beats it in the corners though (as all BMW's handle great), but the ML is still 9/10 (for an SUV). Good luck with your X6's
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparikh1207 View Post
was just browsing through the forums and saw my old post resurrected. Thought I'd tell you guys, took delivery of my 2009 Ml550 (face-lifted) thursday, and it is truly amazing. The updates they've done to the outside make it look very aggressive, and the interior updates to the nav system are great. It also pulls like no other, it's blazing fast (for an suv). For the same price as a loaded 35i I got this. Have seen more X6's on the road, and must say, they are very imposing, in a good way. The cornering on the ML is surprisingly good too, with the air suspesion/active damping system option, just hit the sport mode button, and it becomes great. The X6 still beats it in the corners though (as all BMW's handle great), but the ML is still 9/10 (for an SUV). Good luck with your X6's
I agree, the ML550 is a beast with it's pulling power from any speed. Sure it's no ML63, but I can live with the difference between 0-60 in 4.8 secs vs 5.4 (I have an '08 ML550). I previously had an ML430, then ML500 from the W163 chassis and I've always liked this model line. I also agree about the air suspension, I think it's absolutely critical for proper performance especially with the larger engine. The car I test drove was a basic ML550 with spring and shock, I couldn't believe how pronounced the difference was.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparikh1207 View Post
I was on the point of paging you to see what decision you had made. If you look at my post here: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167490 you will see that I suddenly discovered the ML550, partly as a result of your original post. I remember the original ML series as cart-like and clunky, so I never really considered them again. But wow, have they ever changed -- particularly the 550, and even more particularly with the AMG body package.

Now I'm torn...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
aparikh1207
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
I was on the point of paging you to see what decision you had made. If you look at my post here: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167490 you will see that I suddenly discovered the ML550, partly as a result of your original post. I remember the original ML series as cart-like and clunky, so I never really considered them again. But wow, have they ever changed -- particularly the 550, and even more particularly with the AMG body package.

Now I'm torn...
Now I'm probably a little biased as I have the ML550, but I would vote for the ML, unless you get the V8 50i. The 35i engine is good but, to me, does not have that oomph factor. I also love the sound of the engine, it has a good rumble to it at idle, and especially when you hit the gas. And I can tell you, GO LOOK AT THE 2009! In my opinion it looks leaps better than the 08 550. It has the updated front and rear bumpers, same as on the 09 ML63 AMG. It also has the 19" AMG rims, but the ride is still great. If you get the ML550, get the air suspension/active damping option, it is a must! Compared to normal steel springs, it is amazing, especially when you put it in sport mode. I eventually also decided for the Ml550 because of safety, which it has more features than the X6. It has second row airbags, and presafe (I don't think the X6 has it, but I may be wrong). Safety is always the number one priority I have. If I get in an accident, which I have no way of controlling, I want to be able to walk away unharmed. It just depends on what you want, a car that will do better in the bends (X6) or in acceleration (ML550 vs X6 35i, because the 50i is more comparable in price to ML63 when fully loaded). But that was my reasoning behind getting the ML550 over the X6. The ML also has a few more pluses such as more space inside for both the front and back passengers, 5 passenger (doesn't matter if you never have more than 4 people, which is reality for a lot of people). The X6 has a very different design (which I like, but some don't, so that depends on you), it has a more spartan interior (I like the ML550's better), but I like the seats slightly better in the X6. The entertainment/navigation system has been upgraded in the ML, and now is very good. The X6 idrive is good, but I would wait for the new idrive in the spring time to be phased into the X6 as it looks MUCH better. Hope this helps you decide. I still think that when choosing between a X6 and Ml550, life is good. Because, either one you choose, is an outstanding choice. You just have to decide which one you will like in the long run (will the X6 styling grow old quickly?).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #15
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

Cool X6 50i Comparison

Quote:
I have had 2 MLs (ML430 & ML500), and was pretty certain on the 3rd until Mercedes made running boards standard on the 2008 V8 models. I hate running boards; but it was going to be an expensive approach to NOT get them, so I started looking around… now I have a 4.4L twin-turbo X6 squarely in my sites… HOWEVER, I am still giving some thought to the ’09 ML, since I have too much time on my hands while waiting for the ’09 xDrive50i..!

The major issues in this decision for me have been:

Engine technology:
ML has a nice 5.5 liter V8, but I really didn’t want just more displacement. The turbo-charged, direct-injected 4.4 gets the nod here. More advanced technology, better efficiency, more power per liter and so-on.
Desirable features (not for everyone, but these are important to me):
X6 offers Heads-Up display, Active Ventilated seats and Soft Close doors – I just love these features. Mercedes does put ventilated seats on the AMG ML-63, but will not option them out on the ML-550… very frustrating to me. Nod to BMW.
Maintenance costs:
BMW still has 4-years fully paid service (including brake pads & rotors). For both my 2000 and 2004 M-Class SUVs, Mercedes also had free service (though it did not include pads & rotors!). Now they have dropped it – very disappointing… I know many argue that you still pay for service (only up front) when you buy a BMW – but I disagree… 4-years free scheduled maintenance is a big incentive for me to go to BMW.
Resale:
It has been very disappointing to watch the value of my M-Class vehicles go down so fast. I think the M-Class has the highest depreciation of any Mercedes, and is far worse than the BMW X5… I expect the X6 to hold value at least as well as the X5 – so another big nod to BMW.
Looks / Design:
This is totally – personally - subjective… I still like the looks of the M-Class (and the face-lifted ’09 is fine too). But the X6 is simply one of the most appealing profiles I have seen… I just love the lines of this vehicle!!! I would be fine with the ML from a looks point of view, but I have been totally taken by the X6… it’s not just another SUV – there is a far more passionate appeal to the vehicle for me.
Morty, great debate. I myself would have spoken or debated similarly between the X6 50i(which i ordered for my wife) and the Porsche Cayenne Turbo (which we have and she drives the V6 cayenne now)

Quote:

Cheers,
Really, all that said tells me the ML is thinner, squared, and less economical or fuel effecient than an X6 which explains why the ML is 475lbs lighter...... X6 50i without question!
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

The ML550 offers ventilated front seats, it was an option on my '08.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
morty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
The ML550 offers ventilated front seats, it was an option on my '08.
Yeah – another Canadian mentioned that you guys got the ventilated seats option… but for the United States market, the option cannot be ordered on the V6 or V8 car - but is standard on the AMG… AND for the V8, running boards are standard. It is strange how MB decides what to make available for specific markets.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #18
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
It is strange how MB decides what to make available for specific markets.
Ditto for BMW.

I remember when I visited the BMW plant in Munich that they made a big deal of how every car coming along the production line is a custom order. In other words, all the regional packages and options are nothing more than marketing decisions because the factory just builds whatever is specified.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Ditto for BMW.

I remember when I visited the BMW plant in Munich that they made a big deal of how every car coming along the production line is a custom order. In other words, all the regional packages and options are nothing more than marketing decisions because the factory just builds whatever is specified.
Well, just as an example, click on the following link and select the X6 xDrive50i, then click on the tab 'Sonderausstattungen'

http://www.bmw.de/de/de/newvehicles/...figurator.html

Have a look at the EXTENSIVE list of INDIVIDUAL options you can pick and choose from for the X6!!!

They SHOULD have that for ALL markets!!!

On a another note, I just noticed under the 'Editionen + Pakete' tab, they now list a new option called 'BMW Individual Komposition Polster, Leiste, Lenkrad' which basically is one of the BMW Individual offerings like on the 7, 5 and 3 series, where you can pick 4 different upholstery options, 3 different trim options and a wood or leather inlay option for your steering wheel all for additional bucks of course!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 02:52 AM   #20
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Well, just as an example, click on the following link and select the X6 xDrive50i, then click on the tab 'Sonderausstattungen'

http://www.bmw.de/de/de/newvehicles/...figurator.html

Have a look at the EXTENSIVE list of INDIVIDUAL options you can pick and choose from for the X6!!!

They SHOULD have that for ALL markets!!!

On a another note, I just noticed under the 'Editionen + Pakete' tab, they now list a new option called 'BMW Individual Komposition Polster, Leiste, Lenkrad' which basically is one of the BMW Individual offerings like on the 7, 5 and 3 series, where you can pick 4 different upholstery options, 3 different trim options and a wood or leather inlay option for your steering wheel all for additional bucks of course!

wOw

that can be very upsetting info when you want the best or the hottest only to find out the manufacturer offers another market better options. Damn
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's
Appreciate 0