BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Steering Wheel Angle

11-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Steering Wheel Angle

I've searched for this with no success so apologies in advance if this has been covered. I doubt it though because it's an odd observation/annoyance. The angle of the seat has been covered repeatedly but this is about the steering wheel. I've noticed that when I have set my seat and steering wheel tilt/telescope set to the right position for me that my hands aren't completely comfortable on the wheel at 9 and 3. My wrists are forced to bend awkwardly back just above the thumb area. In other words unlike every other BWM I own or have owned my hands don't fall comfortably on the wheel but instead are forced to bend back slightly. It took a while for me to notice this because it's not immediately obvious but the lack of comfort and the annoyance of it take time to realize. FYI I'm 5'10" 160 lbs no unusual proportions and nothing unusual about the seat or steering wheel adjustments. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
I've searched for this with no success so apologies in advance if this has been covered. I doubt it though because it's an odd observation/annoyance. The angle of the seat has been covered repeatedly but this is about the steering wheel. I've noticed that when I have set my seat and steering wheel tilt/telescope set to the right position for me that my hands aren't completely comfortable on the wheel at 9 and 3. My wrists are forced to bend awkwardly back just above the thumb area. In other words unlike every other BWM I own or have owned my hands don't fall comfortably on the wheel but instead are forced to bend back slightly. It took a while for me to notice this because it's not immediately obvious but the lack of comfort and the annoyance of it take time to realize. FYI I'm 5'10" 160 lbs no unusual proportions and nothing unusual about the seat or steering wheel adjustments. Any thoughts?
I felt almost the same and did actually mentioned and asked if MY18 LCI fixed "crooked seat" problem, but it is not.

The seat is slightly facing toward left, so your body will be off to left and hands are oriented to the right side to compensate the angle of the seat. And there you feel your right side of the wrist to be bent inside further when your seat long enough and your hands says "I want to align with my body position".

This is the point I felt that 3/9 clock wheel grabs start will be akward. I believe it is not the steering wheel, it is the seat that makes you feel that way. Most ppl do not notice but some individuals (including myself) will notice it after 5-10 min of driving the vehicle.
I made my worder and my M2 will be arriving mid Dec. I will see if my body can be eventually adjusted to the weird angle of the seat and adopt with it... There is nothing that we can do unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
m34m
Captain
Rep

I don't know if the seat issue is related to this or if it's simply the steering wheel angle that's the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
I don't know if the seat issue is related to this or if it's simply the steering wheel angle that's the issue.

It's a 2 series (about the bottom of the line right ) that's been tricked out by the factory. It's not a purpose built sports car. I found the pedals to be offset to the left compared to what I'm used to driving (Porsche/Lotus). Just guessing from memory, but it felt like the pedal box should move toward center a few inches at least.

It was my first BMW though, so I don't know if it's a BMW thing or not. It could just be what each person is used to driving becomes natural feeling.

I'm circling back to see what the CS has for seating as the standards seats just didn't fit me well.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Steering wheel should be positioned parrele to the actual front end of the vehicle that will be based on the axles/ drive train. Those cannot go wrong as slight angle change could bring huge problems in the car.

See the 2 series (inclduing M2) and search the pictures on Google using crooked seat, and then you will see the top down view of the actual seat and steering wheel (with foot rest).

I can only find a little angle issue with seat but not anywhere else.

Dont get me wrong tho, I could be wrong and there could be someone with Eagle eyes and 6th sense to catch something else...

Name:  bmwM2Seat_zpsxghwbq27.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  52.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Steering wheel should be positioned parrele to the actual front end of the vehicle that will be based on the axles/ drive train. Those cannot go wrong as slight angle change could bring huge problems in the car.

See the 2 series (inclduing M2) and search the pictures on Google using crooked seat, and then you will see the top down view of the actual seat and steering wheel (with foot rest).

I can only find a little angle issue with seat but not anywhere else.

Dont get me wrong tho, I could be wrong and there could be someone with Eagle eyes and 6th sense to catch something else...

Attachment 1721650
To me it seems the seat is angled to the left slightly.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

I didn't know this until recently, but the murcielago has angled seats even worse than ours.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

From what you describe, you 'liking' where the wheel is, and the wheel actually being in an ergonomic position seem to be the issue. Try the wheel a half inch in towards the dash and see if that helps the wrists. I make the motion in front of me and can see how the wheel being too close could do this.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by look585 View Post
To me it seems the seat is angled to the left slightly.
Too close to the transmission tunnel as well. If you sit square in the seat facing forward I bet the pedals are offset left of what's natural.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
From what you describe, you 'liking' where the wheel is, and the wheel actually being in an ergonomic position seem to be the issue. Try the wheel a half inch in towards the dash and see if that helps the wrists. I make the motion in front of me and can see how the wheel being too close could do this.
Yes this is a good point. My setup is as instructed at a BMW performance driving event I attended years ago. I've used this position since then which involves sitting close to the controls. I'll try to move the wheel further away.
Appreciate 1
McPurrs290.00