BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
Juelz
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI

New Owner of F10 M5 LCI - A nightmare so far :(

Hello everyone,

I bought my first BMW M5 LCI last week at a dealers (non BMW), the car came at a decent price with good trade in for my previous car.

While going through history, dealership mentioned that the car had a brand new Engine fitted by BMW Warranty around 6 months ago and done around 5k miles (Car is still under warranty), and the paperwork confirms that.

As soon as I took the car, on my way to Dover (planned to take it over the English channel) the car broke down :O (This is after about 300 miles local driving).

BMW Emergency services came out with replacement vehicle etc (But not allowed to take it abroad), I had to cancel the trip. Went in to BMW garage close to break down. The error was Drivetrain fault - 'Drive at moderate speeds, full performance not available'. Car lost power (couldn't accelerate - maybe limp mode?), but after restarting the car after half hour was able to drive to a service station with the message still on idrive. After they checked the car, apparently they couldn't find anything - The car only had 0.1l of fuel at a certain mileage (Before I bought the car) and that set off multiple fault codes related to fuel pressure. Assured me that it should be fine and they can only clear the codes. Sent the car back to me 2 days later. As soon as I started the car, car broke down again and in to limp mode! Took it to local BMW garage this time - their assessment is the same! want to give the car back to me with no work done. Apparently tried numerous test drives and can't recreate the problem. Any advice?

Last edited by Juelz; 11-10-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Juelz
Rep

So many experts here on M5, someone please advise me on what might be going on with the car... thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juelz View Post
So many experts here on M5, someone please advise me on what might be going on with the car... thank you
unfortunately mate the drivetrain malfunction could be so many different things

I guess you have two options

1) Take the car back to where you bought it and say it was sold as a advertised and argue for your money back

2) Ultimately you are covered by BMW warranty. Take it to a decent dealership and demand that they fix what is an obvious problem. Im not sure what there issue is as their diagnostics will pop up the fault code and hence they should be able to rectify

3) Whilst doing 1 or 2 go straight to BMW customer services (i.e. UK customer services and not the dealer) and make them aware of all of this and really kick up a stink as ultimately you have warranty

hope you have some luck
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

what i should also add is that a drivetrain malfunction error it is usually a simple fix...For me I needed my software updated which was 3 years ago and no problems since relating to that
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Juelz
Rep

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I contemplated in returning the car (but I love it too much and it was an excellent deal). The issue with the second dealer was that when they ran diagnostics the fault codes frequency was one (the resolution for that is to delete the error codes and return the car back to customer after checking a couple of components probably) - but in actuality the frequency of the issue was 2 ( because the initial breakdown had same problem but the first bmw garage deleted the error codes and latter garage did a fresh assessment - hence why they tried very hard to recreate the problem.). But I think I’ll just accept the car back for now and hope it doesn’t occur again
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Maximo1970
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

When I had a drive train malfunction it turned out to be a bad coil pack. Fair to say thought my local dealer didn't just change it, they did a full diagnostic on the car. The technician didn't want to send me on my way with out checked all of the obvious possible reasons, such as faulty injector or low fuel pressure.

Thanks fully they kept me feed and water while I hung around waiting for them to fix it.

As advised I would contact BMW customer services about your problem and let them assist you. With the BMW warranty on the car you shouldn't need to pay anything out either.
Appreciate 0