BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

What is up with the Ventilated Seats?

Any word on if this is going to change beyond the normal black/beige/mocha choices? I've become used to it from my other vehicles. Since this is going to be a work vehicle, I am prone to choosing creature comforts over vanity. But at least let me get the blue stitching if I'm going with black leather!

It has me even thinking about individual options...

I was hoping to place an order for December build, if anyone has any info...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibookM3 View Post
Any word on if this is going to change beyond the normal black/beige/mocha choices? I've become used to it from my other vehicles. Since this is going to be a work vehicle, I am prone to choosing creature comforts over vanity. But at least let me get the blue stitching if I'm going with black leather!

Yeah, those are the choices listed in the Pricing Guide, so I'm assuming it is not a "temporary" start up issue and those will be the only ones that will be available for 2018 models.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Yeah, those are the choices listed in the Pricing Guide, so I'm assuming it is not a "temporary" start up issue and those will be the only ones that will be available for 2018 models.
Pretty typical for BMW. They often only have a subset of their standard leathers available for the ventilation option. They've been getting a bit better about this over the last couple of years, but offering a subset only is pretty standard.

FYI - you lose the side bolster adjustment when you tick the ventilated seat box, and generally speaking, the ventilation is not terribly effective, as it's only the ambient air blowing, but it is better than nothing (although not much).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Pretty typical for BMW. They often only have a subset of their standard leathers available for the ventilation option. They've been getting a bit better about this over the last couple of years, but offering a subset only is pretty standard.

FYI - you lose the side bolster adjustment when you tick the ventilated seat box, and generally speaking, the ventilation is not terribly effective, as it's only the ambient air blowing, but it is better than nothing (although not much).
What I've noticed is that if you have the actual aircon blowing through the seat, you get tired of it rather quickly. So my opinion has changed in that now I'm fine with "ventilated" vs "air conditioned" seats.

I would probably care more about adjustable side bolster with M3/4/5. I just wish I could pick better leather choices with ventilated option.
Appreciate 1
TonySCV510.00
      11-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
I got the mocha ventilated seats and tried it out during my two-hour shake down drive back home today from the dealer. They worked great - you get three speeds to select from so you can adjust it to your liking. And I like it!

Last edited by gregoryw1; 11-05-2017 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryw1 View Post
I got the mocha ventilated seats and tried it out during my two-hour shake down drive back home today from the dealer. They worked great - you get three speeds to select from so you can adjust it to your liking. And I like it!
I have in my 535dX -- nice feature -- but not happy it drops from 3-fan speed to 2 (so I don't get too cold -- Yeah right) and it doesn't chill you like a Lincoln product does where they have a/c in the seats where it can get damn cold. As posted by others, keeps the heat off your back and butt in extreme heat, but by no means cooling..... it's why they call them "ventilated" --- no assertions made that they will cool you.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

It is as if BMW is doing a "soft launch" of the X3. My December build (Canada) had the choice of 3 Individual leather seats. None are ventilated, but they do have bolsters. Tartuffo narrowly beat out Fiona Red/Black Merino leather in my case. Hopefully US buyers may soon have those choices too.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Quote:

It is as if BMW is doing a "soft launch" of the X3. My December build (Canada) had the choice of 3 Individual leather seats. None are ventilated, but they do have bolsters. Tartuffo narrowly beat out Fiona Red/Black Merino leather in my case. Hopefully US buyers may soon have those choices too.
They basically are doing that with most models now. Always phasing in the goodies.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I do have the vent seats and can also validate earlier comment that this eliminates the side bolster adjustment. Wish it didn't because I found myself wanting a bit more bolster support than it now provides, even though I have a fairly wide body

That said, I do love the way the vent seats work. I usually like to keep the heated seats on to relieve back pain (like a heating pad!) and in the X3, you can leave the heating on and still turn on the ventilation option (vs my wife's Acura RDX which is an either/or), which could be quite nice! The Acura probably does this since the ventilation is actually A/C air and they figure it would be contradictory to both heat and cool.
Appreciate 0