BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Canadian spec 540 wheel/tire query.

10-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Canadian spec 540 wheel/tire query.

Hi there,

I am trying to help a family member figure out what winter tires they need for their 2017 540i xDrive. I believe it has the stock 19" rims at the moment (must be with 245/275 tires?). My suggestion to them is to throw on the winter tires on the same set of rims. My questions are;

1. Will a set of square 245/40R19 winter tires fit the front and back stock rims? My understanding is that ideally for winter square set ups are preferred, but I am not sure what the width of front and back rims is.

2. If going this route, they certainly won't need a new TPMS module correct? Do Canadian spec 540's even come with TPMS, as all other (example my m3 and 440 gran coupe) just had flat tire monitoring system and not actual TPMS. So when I threw on a aftermarket winter/rim set on mine I didn't need TPMS. I know if in this case they aren't getting an aftermarket rim set it doesn't matter but I am curious to know.

Thank you guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Hi there,

I am trying to help a family member figure out what winter tires they need for their 2017 540i xDrive. I believe it has the stock 19" rims at the moment (must be with 245/275 tires?). My suggestion to them is to throw on the winter tires on the same set of rims. My questions are;

1. Will a set of square 245/40R19 winter tires fit the front and back stock rims? My understanding is that ideally for winter square set ups are preferred, but I am not sure what the width of front and back rims is.

2. If going this route, they certainly won't need a new TPMS module correct? Do Canadian spec 540's even come with TPMS, as all other (example my m3 and 440 gran coupe) just had flat tire monitoring system and not actual TPMS. So when I threw on a aftermarket winter/rim set on mine I didn't need TPMS. I know if in this case they aren't getting an aftermarket rim set it doesn't matter but I am curious to know.

Thank you guys.
The 19" G30 wheels are width are 8" front and 9" rear.
I've got 245/40/19 winters all around on my 8.5" and 9" wide F10 OEM wheels. So the 245/40/19 tires will fit both the 8" and 9" wide wheels.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
mgs
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i xDrive M Sport Plus

Quote:
Hi there,

Thank you guys.
I'g getting aftermarket (BBS CI-R) 19 x 8.5 wheels all around for my 540i, with Pirelli Sottozero 3 245/40/19 RFTs all around, plus a set of TPMS sensors, so that I can keep the original TPMS on the 20" summer wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs View Post
I'g getting aftermarket (BBS CI-R) 19 x 8.5 wheels all around for my 540i, with Pirelli Sottozero 3 245/40/19 RFTs all around, plus a set of TPMS sensors, so that I can keep the original TPMS on the 20" summer wheels/tires.
Are you purchasing the set online somewhere? These are for my uncle and the last thing he cares about is aftermarket rims and what not but if it's not too bad of an option I can steer him towards that direction.

The other thing I discovered is the set that he currently has (OEM) is actually 20" and not 19" like he told me initially (that's how much he knows about this stuff). So if purchasing just tires he would be looking at 20" winter tires.

Do you know how wide the front and back 20" rims on these vehicles are? And if a set of 245/35R20 tires will fit both the front and back in a square set up for winter?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Width of 20" OEM wheels are also 8" front and 9" rear.
245/35 square set up does work on the 20" OEM wheels

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #6
mgs
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you purchasing the set online somewhere? These are for my uncle and the last thing he cares about is aftermarket rims and what not but if it's not too bad of an option I can steer him towards that direction.

The other thing I discovered is the set that he currently has (OEM) is actually 20" and not 19" like he told me initially (that's how much he knows about this stuff). So if purchasing just tires he would be looking at 20" winter tires.

Do you know how wide the front and back 20" rims on these vehicles are? And if a set of 245/35R20 tires will fit both the front and back in a square set up for winter?

Thanks
The 20" rims that my 540i came with are 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 back. I do not recommend he puts winter tires on these. BMW dealers in Canada currently offer 3 nicely priced winter wheel/tire packages for the 540i, in 17" (225/55), 18" (245/45) and 19" (245/40) sizes. You can see those online at bmw.ca. Your uncle can select one of these and he'll be fine. Aftermarket rims come in various quality and price points, and they can be ordered either online or in local tire/mechanic shops. So there are very many choices but, for the case you are describing, I'm guessing that one of the BMW dealer options will be the easiest.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:27 AM   #7
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post
Width of 20" OEM wheels are also 8" front and 9" rear.
245/35 square set up does work on the 20" OEM wheels
Thank you for that. Good to know that if he decides to go this route then the square set-up of 245/35 R20 is still an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs View Post
The 20" rims that my 540i came with are 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 back. I do not recommend he puts winter tires on these. BMW dealers in Canada currently offer 3 nicely priced winter wheel/tire packages for the 540i, in 17" (225/55), 18" (245/45) and 19" (245/40) sizes. You can see those online at bmw.ca. Your uncle can select one of these and he'll be fine. Aftermarket rims come in various quality and price points, and they can be ordered either online or in local tire/mechanic shops. So there are very many choices but, for the case you are describing, I'm guessing that one of the BMW dealer options will be the easiest.
Thank you for the comment. Is there a reason as to why you wouldn't put the 20" winter tires on the OEM rims if there are no issues with fitment etc? I understand the convenience of having a separate winter rim/tire set (what I did for my previous M3's, C63 and now 440 Gran Coupe) but is there any other reason behind it? I have suggested to him to speak with the local dealer as well and get a couple of quotes but I don't expect that to be anything less than $3K (on the lower end). So I was the one who suggested to him to just throw on a winter set on the OEM rims and call it a day, but if functionally or mechanically for some reason this isn't wise to do then that's something to be taken into consideration.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #8
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Having dedicated winter wheels eliminates the risk of damaging tires (and maybe the rims) due to frequent demounting and mounting, saves from labor cost (demounting/mounting tires) and therefore may be cheaper in the long run if you buy inexpensive winter wheels. And of course, it is more convenient.
At least, these are reasons I can think of.

I am also trying to decide what to do at the moment.
I currently run OEM 20" and have a set of OEM 18"
Wise thing is to put winter tires on the 18"s and use them for winter.
However, I will probably put winter tires on the 20"s and run them also in winter as the 18"s look too small for G30

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
mgs
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for that. Good to know that if he decides to go this route then the square set-up of 245/35 R20 is still an option.

Thank you for the comment. Is there a reason as to why you wouldn't put the 20" winter tires on the OEM rims if there are no issues with fitment etc? I understand the convenience of having a separate winter rim/tire set (what I did for my previous M3's, C63 and now 440 Gran Coupe) but is there any other reason behind it? I have suggested to him to speak with the local dealer as well and get a couple of quotes but I don't expect that to be anything less than $3K (on the lower end). So I was the one who suggested to him to just throw on a winter set on the OEM rims and call it a day, but if functionally or mechanically for some reason this isn't wise to do then that's something to be taken into consideration.
In Canadian icy winters, 275 and low profile winter tires are not as effective as narrower ones. In addition, the cost of changing tires twice a year rises quickly, so if one keeps a car for more than 5 years (like I do), it pays off to have separate winter wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #10
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the input everyone. All things considering, for his needs I think a square set-up of 245/35R20 will do the trick. He won't keep the car longer than 3 years for sure so the cost of having the tires taken off and put on doesn't make too substantial of a difference. He does always buys 5 series (I think he's on his 6th if not more) so the separate set could be used in the future but then they keep changing that around based on facelifts and newer versions and what not. Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0