BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins knocking

09-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Leonidm2
Private
Rep
Drives: bmwm2

Ohlins knocking

Hi all. I want to ask everyone who has Ohlins R/T who noticed the sounds at a low speed?I have a knock at a low speed, it appeared right after installation the next day when I drove out of the garage.We rechecked everything that was only possible, I even changed the top mounts under the guarantee, but all is useless.Bmw service said that it is knocking the front shock absorbers and that they have a backlash.I am very disappointed, I will shoot them and put back my own suspension.
P.s The installation is 100% correct, and everything was done according to the instructions.This is specific kit for bmw m2
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

No, never had any issues with noise on the Ohlins and we have been selling and installing Ohlins for 7-8 year now.

Most of the noise issue can be traced to a nut or bolt not properly torque to specs. There is always the possibility of a defective damper, but your local Ohlins dealer or distributor should be able to warranty it for you.
Appreciate 4
///M TOWN13117.00
Poffman493.00
      11-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Could be spring bind

If you hear a popping sound when you are driving slow and go over a speed bump or over a big depression, the springs may be binding and releasing causing a popping sound. I have this issue and will install swift thrust plates to try and deal with it. Let us know if you find the cause of your issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
Leonidm2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaslieb View Post
If you hear a popping sound when you are driving slow and go over a speed bump or over a big depression, the springs may be binding and releasing causing a popping sound. I have this issue and will install swift thrust plates to try and deal with it. Let us know if you find the cause of your issue.
ok I'll let you know, now they are sent to Ohlins for check
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
wolfbane1967
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaslieb View Post
What is thrust plates from Swift ?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbane1967 View Post
What is thrust plates from Swift ?

http://www.hpashop.com/Swift-Thrust-...?categoryId=-1
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

I didn't have good luck with swift thrust plates and used http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...isolators.html
worked better, but it's thick so I couldn't use it on the bottom of the spring or it will be out of the seat.
      11-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
I didn't have good luck with swift thrust plates and used http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...isolators.html
worked better, but it's thick so I couldn't use it on the bottom of the spring or it will be out of the seat.
Two different items for two different purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidm2 View Post
Hi all. I want to ask everyone who has Ohlins R/T who noticed the sounds at a low speed?I have a knock at a low speed, it appeared right after installation the next day when I drove out of the garage.We rechecked everything that was only possible, I even changed the top mounts under the guarantee, but all is useless.Bmw service said that it is knocking the front shock absorbers and that they have a backlash.I am very disappointed, I will shoot them and put back my own suspension.
P.s The installation is 100% correct, and everything was done according to the instructions.This is specific kit for bmw m2
I'm having the same issue also. It's only in the fronts and seems more so on the passenger side. The installer also noticed it during a test drive so double checked that everything was tight. He said give it a bit to see if it went away, while also letting things settle. I think the rears came with thrust bearing/sheets, which he also commented on being odd since the fronts didn't. May need to order a set for the if this is the solution. Very annoying being the price of the Ohlins and the additional shop cost to get these corrected.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Leonidm2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2taz View Post
I'm having the same issue also. It's only in the fronts and seems more so on the passenger side. The installer also noticed it during a test drive so double checked that everything was tight. He said give it a bit to see if it went away, while also letting things settle. I think the rears came with thrust bearing/sheets, which he also commented on being odd since the fronts didn't. May need to order a set for the if this is the solution. Very annoying being the price of the Ohlins and the additional shop cost to get these corrected.
Ohlins sent me new front shock absorbers, I will test them. on the back I did not have problems
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #11
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ohlins sent me new front shock absorbers, I will test them. on the back I did not have problems
Keep us posted, maybe there's a bad batch?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keep us posted, maybe there's a bad batch?
After reading up more and some youtube video searches about noisy coilovers I went over the passenger side of the suspension and found the issue. It was a loose top lock nut. All better now and drives awesome through the canyons! Just needs a few minor adjustments to the ride hight now.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #13
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Glad to hear that it was just a loose nut...double entendre, ha....anyhow, I am lovin mine...still playing with different settings, was running 10 clicks for awhile, now going all the way soft at 17....5 clicks is absolutely race track mode....10 is canyons/ irregular surfaces 'spirited' driving...I'm thinking 17 is the setting for road trips with my wife.....just love being able to adjust it so easily!!!
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After reading up more and some youtube video searches about noisy coilovers I went over the passenger side of the suspension and found the issue. It was a loose top lock nut. All better now and drives awesome through the canyons! Just needs a few minor adjustments to the ride hight now.
Glad you fond it.

I mentioned that in post#2 above.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #15
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
Glad to hear that it was just a loose nut...double entendre, ha....anyhow, I am lovin mine...still playing with different settings, was running 10 clicks for awhile, now going all the way soft at 17....5 clicks is absolutely race track mode....10 is canyons/ irregular surfaces 'spirited' driving...I'm thinking 17 is the setting for road trips with my wife.....just love being able to adjust it so easily!!!
Yeah awesome stuff and I should have done them sooner! I'm sure everyone has watched this on here but rewatch on Amazon the first episode of The Grand Tour with the M2. You really see how the stock suspension dances around as it exits corners, when pushed hard (and not drifted). That's exactly what bothered me about the stock suspension and the Ohlins totally fixed!

Just in time for winter storage!
Appreciate 1
Saanen180.50
      12-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #16
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Thrust sheets from Swift are available for those with noise concerns that aren't related to the camber plates, top nuts or sway bar end links but rather the springs against the perches.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #17
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
So what was the resolution? Did the new shocks fix it or was the issue traced to somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
Leonidm2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
So what was the resolution? Did the new shocks fix it or was the issue traced to somewhere else?
I decided to install them in the spring, then it will be clear if this sound is gone or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #19
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I decided to install them in the spring, then it will be clear if this sound is gone or not.
Ohlins should know what is going on once they have that damper taken apart.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:05 AM   #20
RacletteMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Bumping this thread to see if there are any news ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:10 AM   #21
RacletteMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Thrust sheets from Swift are available for those with noise concerns that aren't related to the camber plates, top nuts or sway bar end links but rather the springs against the perches.
Hello HP Autosport ! I have the Ohlins and I do have a clicking noise when I turn the steering wheel at low speed and when stationary. The shop checked all the bolts so do you reckon the noise I am hearing is the springs against the perches ? Is this noise present on all cars equipped with ohlins ? If so, I reckon thrust sheets should fix it but I would like to be sure before throwing more money at the problem.

Many thanks !
Appreciate 1
m20e30871143.00
      06-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #22
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacletteMan View Post
Hello HP Autosport ! I have the Ohlins and I do have a clicking noise when I turn the steering wheel at low speed and when stationary. The shop checked all the bolts so do you reckon the noise I am hearing is the springs against the perches ? Is this noise present on all cars equipped with ohlins ? If so, I reckon thrust sheets should fix it but I would like to be sure before throwing more money at the problem.

Many thanks !
Although we have not experienced that issue with past installations the spring against the perch could cause noise issues. Swift thrust sheets should take care of the issues.

Clicking is typically a strut mount bearing or sway bar endlink. We have even seen low mileage strut mounts fail because of the use of the plastic bearing races. The endlinks can also be at their maximum articulation with a lowered vehicle.
Appreciate 2