09-04-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Jacking up the M2

Hi All,

I'm intending to have a bit of fun fitting some cosmetic components to my new MY18 which is due in a couple of months. Some of these are going to require the car to be jacked up so that I can easily access the underside of the car (this is for the installation of an M Performance Rear Diffuser).

I've read the manual, and I can see the jack points documented ... but I wanted to use a trolley jack like this one to raise the car before lowering the car onto jack stands which I would position at the jack points.

My questions are:
  1. Do I need to purchase jack pads..? I've seen a few videos where these are referred to. As I don't have the car yet, I don't know whether it comes with pads (or not), and how essential they are.
  2. I've seen (again) youtube videos where BMW owners have roughly pointed to sections under the car where I should place the trolley jack ... but I'm reluctant to second guess where this would be on the M2.

Advice is most welcome!

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 12:45 AM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Car does not come with jack pads so i purchased one from Burger Motorsports that i use in conjuction with my trolley jack to utilise the oem jack points. There are 2 jacking points on either side of the car.

Just be mindful when buying a trolley jack that it's advisable to buy a low profile jack so it fits underneath the car comfortably, especially with the jack pad on top.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf162.00
      09-04-2017, 01:37 AM   #3
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks Prodigy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Car does not come with jack pads so i purchased one from Burger Motorsports that i use in conjuction with my trolley jack to utilise the oem jack points. There are 2 jacking points on either side of the car.
I'll order a couple from Burger Motorsports ... but I don't want (if I can avoid it) to jack up the car at the jacking points as I want to put the jack stands at these points.

The process that I think I would follow is using the trolley jack at a central point on the rear axle and jack up the car, before then lowering it onto the jack stands (which are placed at these jacking points) ... then moving the trolley jack out of the way so that I can work underneath the car. Does that make sense...? Hence the question about where I can jack the car with a trolley jack

Essentially I'm asking how to raise the car onto jack stands that are positioned at the jack points (i.e. I can't jack them at the same point as where I am going to place the stand).

Sorry for the noob question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Just be mindful when buying a trolley jack that it's advisable to buy a low profile jack so it fits underneath the car comfortably, especially with the jack pad on top.
I've purchased one already, with exactly that mind The jack is 100mm high when fully retracted. I hope that's going to be sufficient ...? I couldn't actually find one that was lower than 100mm fully retracted.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
This thread helped me find the correct jack point and where to place jack stands.

Center lift point on rear? http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1306220
V.Smurf162.00
      09-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks BAN_M2,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2 View Post
This thread helped me find the correct jack point and where to place jack stands.

Center lift point on rear? http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1306220
That's exactly what I was looking for ... most appreciated!

I see that the jack pads that Prodigy has linked me too are not suitable for jack stands ... so I've got a few questions you may be able to help with.

From your reply on the post you've linked me too (where you've asked where to place the jack stands .. and you've included a super-helpful photo!), it looks like you've used the jack points ... so how did you place the jack stand..? Did you place the top of the jack stand directly into the jacking point, or did you put pads into the jacking point and then place the stand underneath...?

Really appreciate the help!

Last edited by V.Smurf; 09-04-2017 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Added question
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4154.50