BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
aaccon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G21 330i M Sport

Talking Ordered my new G01, 30i

Done the deed and ordered a new G01, November delivery.

30i, MSport, Sunroof, Alpine White, Wood, Tint, Lights

Going from the F25, 2.0d to the petrol. Dieselgate and all the negativity around diesel has prompted a change to petrol.

Did drive the new Audi Q5, Lexus and the new Tiguan. Must admit the Tiguan was a hoot to drive in the 162 TSI guise, but VW has in my mind lost credibility and in Australia their after sales is questionable. The Q5 was not engaging to drive, 2.0 Litre petrol and they wanted over 100K compared to a similarly equipped G01.

Believe i have made the right choice for me !!! BMW -don't let me down...

cheers..

Last edited by aaccon; 09-23-2017 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Well done.

Didn't know Australian dealers had the necessary information yet. Out of curiosity did you notice what other engines will be available in the Australian market - specifically whether the 30d made the cut.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
aaccon
Private
Rep

Engines..

Hey Tony,

First round engines for Australia (November 2017)

- 20d
- 30d
- 30i

Pricing has been confirmed for Aus, dealers were waiting for M Sport and additional Package pricing, which was touted at $4500, but confirmed at $3800.

I believe by May 18, we will start to see the 2.0i, but this car possibly will be a rear wheel drive only, not XDrive, TBC.

And we will be getting the M40i later in the year

Cheers..
Appreciate 1
brissim84.00
      08-28-2017, 02:25 AM   #4
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Well thanks for that info - will have to investigate. When I asked a month or so ago I was told the prices/specifications wouldn't be finalised until Sept/Oct with first deliveries perhaps as far out as February next year.

We're looking a perhaps going back to a wagon (530i wagon in our sights) after 6 great years in our F25 X3 30d but were holding off until details of the G01 X3 were available and specifically whether the 30d would be in the line-up. All things being equal would prefer the G31 5 Series wagon over the G01 X3, but with the fantastic 30d engine being available for the X3 and not in the G31 wagon we may have to have a re-think. Decisions, decisions...

Tony
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:07 AM   #5
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Out of curiosity... what are fuel prices like in Oz
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:45 AM   #6
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
Out of curiosity... what are fuel prices like in Oz
There's still a fair bit of variability in petrol prices. Last fill with RON 95 (~91/92 octane) on our other car (a V60 T5) was $1.21/liter (AU$5.50/IGAL ; AU$4.60/USGAL).

In the last week RON 95 has jumped to around $1.40/liter (AU$6.36/IGAL ; AU$5.32/USGAL).

Diesel prices are fairly steady with my last fill on our X3 being $1.25/liter (AU$5.68/IGAL ; AU$4.75/USGAL).

Tony
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #7
GianniB
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Congrats! I ordered mine too, M40i. Hope to receive it in November as well
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
aaccon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniB View Post
Congrats! I ordered mine too, M40i. Hope to receive it in November as well
Congrats ! It's going to be a cracker of a car...

We in Aus will get the M40i later in 2018, but a little rich for me at this point
A$ 110K + options.

Cheers..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

I’m close to ordering but am stuck on deciding on a 30d vs 30i.
I’ve only ever driven Petrol engines but love the fuel economy and high torque of diesel.

My only concern is long term maintenance costs and issues with dpf in a diesel.
I keep my cars a long time.... so in 10 years will I curse the decision of going diesel when it breaks down etc.

Not to mention the higher pollutants from diesel exhaust being emitted in my garage.

Tough choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
I’m close to ordering but am stuck on deciding on a 30d vs 30i.
I’ve only ever driven Petrol engines but love the fuel economy and high torque of diesel.

My only concern is long term maintenance costs and issues with dpf in a diesel.
I keep my cars a long time.... so in 10 years will I curse the decision of going diesel when it breaks down etc.

Not to mention the higher pollutants from diesel exhaust being emitted in my garage.

Tough choice.
I agree it is potentially a tough choice - a 4-cylinder petrol vs 6-cylinder diesel. For me, the question could really come down to what sort of driving you are going to use the X3 for - city vs long distance driving. If its mainly city/suburban driving with only the occasional long distance trip I would opt for the petrol 30i, or if you do say 50% or more long distance driving like I do, I'd say the diesel. We've had our 2011 F25 X3 30d for over 6 years & 120,000+km now and with the amount of long distance country driving we do the diesel is the natural choice - both for reduced fuel costs and driving range.

We're currently looking at replacing our X3 with either a G01 X3 30d or a 5 Series wagon. The X3 30i is not under consideration but if we end up with the 5 Series wagon it will probably be the 530i (we currently only have the choice of the 520d and 530i in Australia). We would love it if they brought in the 530d wagon - it would solve our problem.

Whose paying for your fuel? - ie will it be you personally or will your company (if applicable). Don't forget the 6-cylinder diesel attracts a higher yearly rego cost over the 4-cylinder (worth an extra $160/year in QLD). The 30d has it all over the 30i in terms of performance - especially rolling acceleration for overtaking on country roads. If the comparison was between the M40i and the 30d, the petrol would be the better performing car.

While the 30d is very refined for a diesel (much quieter inside than say the 20d diesel), the 30i petrol will be the overall quieter car.

Maintenance costs are much the same. If you opt for the pre-paid service agreements (which I highly recommend if you do 15-20,000+km a year in the car) the costs are the same for either petrol or diesel X3s. The pre-paid service costs are listed on the X3's specification sheets downloadable from the BMW Aust website. And you can extended your pre-paid servicing to cover up to 10 years/200,000 km. Extended warranty is limited to only 5 years.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 01:58 AM   #11
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Whose paying for your fuel? - ie will it be you personally or will your company (if applicable). Don't forget the 6-cylinder diesel attracts a higher yearly rego cost over the 4-cylinder (worth an extra $160/year in QLD). The 30d has it all over the 30i in terms of performance - especially rolling acceleration for overtaking on country roads. If the comparison was between the M40i and the 30d, the petrol would be the better performing car.

While the 30d is very refined for a diesel (much quieter inside than say the 20d diesel), the 30i petrol will be the overall quieter car.

Maintenance costs are much the same. If you opt for the pre-paid service agreements (which I highly recommend if you do 15-20,000+km a year in the car) the costs are the same for either petrol or diesel X3s. The pre-paid service costs are listed on the X3's specification sheets downloadable from the BMW Aust website. And you can extended your pre-paid servicing to cover up to 10 years/200,000 km. Extended warranty is limited to only 5 years.

Tony
It’s a personal car so fuel costs are out of my pocket.
I don’t drive much, but I do have a 20yr old car that I don’t trust going long distances. I also like the performance aspect of 30d vs 30i. The torque is almost double in 30d.
I also do like an efficient car.... I’d go full electric if I could afford it.

It’s 6k more to go up to 30d and worry I’ll regret it later if I get the 30i.
However I’m worried about long term mechanical issues with diesel. Ie. dpf etc
Also about the possible impact a diesel phase out might have on car values in the medium term.... and the possibility that Diesel engines can get louder as they age.
A quieter car is preferred so there’s 1 for 30i.

Practically I should get the 30i.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 03:49 AM   #12
aaccon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
It’s a personal car so fuel costs are out of my pocket.
I don’t drive much, but I do have a 20yr old car that I don’t trust going long distances. I also like the performance aspect of 30d vs 30i. The torque is almost double in 30d.
I also do like an efficient car.... I’d go full electric if I could afford it.

It’s 6k more to go up to 30d and worry I’ll regret it later if I get the 30i.
However I’m worried about long term mechanical issues with diesel. Ie. dpf etc
Also about the possible impact a diesel phase out might have on car values in the medium term.... and the possibility that Diesel engines can get louder as they age.
A quieter car is preferred so there’s 1 for 30i.

Practically I should get the 30i.
Hi Cvee,

I recently drove both the 30i and the 30d. Yes - the 30d has miles of torque
and it was a smooth motor. The 30i, for me, had `enough` power and drove like an X5. It was quiet, comfortable and smooth. I have driven diesels for over 10 years, but diesel gate, diesel negativity, fewer `highway` miles being driven and the risk of a DPF dying led me to the 30i. I would like the M40i, but a little too many $$$.

If your only keeping your car for 3 years +-, the 30d is a sweet ride. I don't like the fact that the DPF is a `consumable` and has no implied warranty.

Each to his own and decide for your own reasons which way you should go.

Whatever you choose it will be good choice !

PS: Boat from US left late, won't get my car until early to mid December !

Cheers..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey,

Thanks for your input.
I’ve decided on the 30i. I was working myself up for nothing.
I’m not really a rev head and was going from specs.
On paper the 30d is better.... but for my practical use 30i is more than sufficient.

Now it’s just trying to spec up the options I want.
Dissapointed I cannot get Sensatec dash... seeing if dealer would consider selling the demo car I drove which had everything I wanted. The only compromise with doing that is that I cannot choose the color and interior colours.
My pref is phytonic blue and cognac interior.... with metal trim instead of wood.
There are some good wood options but that default comfort pack wood is aweful to my eye. The Matte finish wood looks great.
Appreciate 0