E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > LED Headlight bulbs

08-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

LED Headlight bulbs

While looking into swapping my halo bulbs for LED's I've noticed you can get H7 LED's for the headlights to replace the halogen bulbs.

Has anyone fitted these and if so what are they like compared to the more common upgrades like the Philips Xtreme?
Also what are the legalities with regards to the LED's being used as headlights?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:51 AM   #2
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
While looking into swapping my halo bulbs for LED's I've noticed you can get H7 LED's for the headlights to replace the halogen bulbs.

Has anyone fitted these and if so what are they like compared to the more common upgrades like the Philips Xtreme?
Also what are the legalities with regards to the LED's being used as headlights?
I've been looking at LED headlights too, I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has installed these as Halogen replacements.

As for legalities, as long as the light is properly focused and not dangerously splattered everywhere like when some replace their Halogens with HID kits, then it should be ok. Ultimately, it would need be able to pass an MOT with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
So_slowly
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

I've recently fitted H7 LED bulbs to my E90. Initial impressions are very good. They are a lot brighter and a lot whiter with a much longer reach than the Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs they replaced. They're a little patchy but that might just be because the old bulbs were too dim to notice. They're 6500k so I was expecting them to be slightly blue but they look very OEM in colour. I haven't been flashed yet so I'm hoping they're not dazzling anyone.

These are the bulbs (E marked according to the seller) and this is the result (at dusk rather than fully dark):

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

I bought some cheapo LED units for my off road bike. Standard H4 bulb in 35w guise. Ģot 35w LED. A lot of extra power block etc to fit into a small space behind the headlight.
Light is far stronger and very bright.
BUT. Spread is awful. No cut off on the right for dip beam.
I wouldn't use them on a car, but fine for the bike which has very little use after dark
Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_slowly View Post
I've recently fitted H7 LED bulbs to my E90. Initial impressions are very good. They are a lot brighter and a lot whiter with a much longer reach than the Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs they replaced. They're a little patchy but that might just be because the old bulbs were too dim to notice. They're 6500k so I was expecting them to be slightly blue but they look very OEM in colour. I haven't been flashed yet so I'm hoping they're not dazzling anyone.

These are the bulbs (E marked according to the seller) and this is the result (at dusk rather than fully dark):

Thats very interesting. Did you need the extra load resistors?
When is your mot as it will be interesting to hear how get on. Or are they fully mot compliant with the halogen lenses?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
So_slowly
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Thats very interesting. Did you need the extra load resistors?
When is your mot as it will be interesting to hear how get on. Or are they fully mot compliant with the halogen lenses?
No load resistors required but they do flicker like mad for a few seconds when I first start the car and I've had the odd failure warning pop up randomly (no more than half a dozen times since install). I will code the check out when I feel brave assuming I don't have a brickable FRM.

They are E marked according to the seller. MOT isn't for another 11 months (that's coincidence rather than planned).
Appreciate 0