M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

08-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

Oil pan gasket

So I went in for service recently, my A.C was not working. I knew it was a bad condenser, as bmw is going over the car they notice an upper oil pan gasket leak (minor) and oil lines leak.

My aftermarket warranty is covering the AC condenser, but not the gasket and oil lines. Ok fine, but bmw gave me some crazy numbers to replace the gasket and oil lines. Money is not really the issue, but $3500 to repair seems crazy !

Has anyone replaced this gasket before ? is this really a big job ? the oil lines are not a big deal.

Thanks

Update.

After cleaning my underbody of any specs of oil, I did not actually notice any oil from oil pan gasket. Unless it is that slow of a leak. I am going to go ahead and get a 2nd opinion on this. Made an appointment for Auto couture to look it over. Think BMW may be looking to just repair all areas they think the oil will come from, without actually pinpointing. Also the leak is very slow! no oil on plastic under tray, just stains on oil pan.

Last edited by M5_Brandoe; 08-09-2017 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
lanab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 MY12

Just be sure it's not gearbox lines leaking.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
clubcsl
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL,M5 F10,M4 CS, Z4 M40i

Garage List
2003 BMW M3 CSL  [0.00]
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2019 BMW M4 CS  [0.00]
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
Just be sure it's not gearbox lines leaking.
Hi

How did you fix the gearbox lines leaking ?

Thanks

www.clubcsl.com - I am a BMW Motorsport fan !

My youtube channel is here
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Brandoe View Post
So I went in for service recently, my A.C was not working. I knew it was a bad condenser, as bmw is going over the car they notice an upper oil pan gasket leak (minor) and oil lines leak.

My aftermarket warranty is covering the AC condenser, but not the gasket and oil lines. Ok fine, but bmw gave me some crazy numbers to replace the gasket and oil lines. Money is not really the issue, but $3500 to repair seems crazy !

Has anyone replaced this gasket before ? is this really a big job ? the oil lines are not a big deal.

Thanks

Update.

After cleaning my underbody of any specs of oil, I did not actually notice any oil from oil pan gasket. Unless it is that slow of a leak. I am going to go ahead and get a 2nd opinion on this. Made an appointment for Auto couture to look it over. Think BMW may be looking to just repair all areas they think the oil will come from, without actually pinpointing. Also the leak is very slow! no oil on plastic under tray, just stains on oil pan.
There's actually two oil pan gaskets (upper and lower). My upper oil pan gasket was leaking and required replacement. Luckily my vehicle is under ESC with BMW so it only cost me a $50 deductible but it's a fair big job to get done.

My understanding was that you have to remove a bunch of stuff to get to the upper gasket, drop the subframe, etc, etc.

If I'm reading my service information correctly, BMW allocates 129 FRU units for the job which translates into BMW saying that it's roughly a 13 hour job to replace the upper oil pan gasket (10 FRU = 1 labor hour).
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

I totally forgot to update this, I've been super busy.

The upper oil pan gasket was actually leaking, I had the upper and lower changed out. I have not had any issues since then. I did not go to Bmw being they wanted $3100, I ended up paying $1600 from a very reputable shop in the tuning world.