BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Caddy CTS-V storms Nordschleife in 7:59.32

PRESS RELEASE:
2009 CTS-VBlisters Nurburgring
Breaks 8-minute barrier - potentially the fastest documented lap time for a production sedan

Quote:
In testing today at Germany's Nurburgring, Cadillac's upcoming new 2009 CTS-Vcompleted a lap of the legendary Nordschleife in 7:59.32. This blistering time appears to be the fastest ever publicly documented for a production sedan.

Cadillac is nearing the completion of testing for the highly anticipated CTS-V, the limited-edition high-performance model based on the award-winning CTS sport sedan. John Heinricy, GM Performance Division executive and an acclaimed racing driver, piloted the CTS-V through its sub-8 minute lap. The car itself had no performance modifications outside of those planned for consumer production, which is scheduled to begin this fall.

Estimated at 550-hp, the CTS-V is at the moment going through the final stages of intensive testing and development. One of the realistic objectives of the Cadillac team is to make the CTS-V the world's fastest production sedan, as a part of the overall goal to make the V-Series Cadillac's ultimate expression of performance and technology. More updates will be released in the coming weeks as testing is finalized, including the car's certified SAE power ratings, acceleration specifications and U.S.-market pricing.

Video documentation of the car's breakthrough Nordschleife performance will be posted online in the coming days at Cadillac Drivers' Log
The eight-minute mark has long been recognized as a major Nurburgring milestone, reserved for race cars and the fastest exotic sports cars. While there's no single official repository for Nurburgring data from private test sessions, numerous reputable websites and publications report lap times from race teams, automakers and independent sources.

The new 2009 CTS-V includes a suite of advanced performance technologies, including a new version of Cadillac's acclaimed Magnetic Ride Control suspension and the LSA 6.2-liter Supercharged V8 engine. For the first time, CTS-V will include the choice of 6-speed manual or automatic transmissions, with the new automatic sporting steering wheel-mounted shift buttons.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
PRESS RELEASE:
2009 CTS-VBlisters Nurburgring
Breaks 8-minute barrier - potentially the fastest documented lap time for a production sedan

It's still a Cadillac.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
It's still a Cadillac.

What's that suppose to mean and what exactly is your point?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
seb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-DCT - Lotus Esprit

"The car itself had no performance modifications outside of those planned for consumer production, which is scheduled to begin this fall."

Well all I can say is that I see a roll cage in the picture and who knows what other mods this car might have. Or maybe caddys will come with that standard????
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
It's still a Cadillac.
Yup. More proof that they're back. The CTS is a player - and not just this one, either.

I saw the CTS-V at the New York show in a kind of gun metal grey, and damn!, it looked good.

Don't get me wrong, your M3 deserves your love. But you have to admit that Cadillac has come a long way in a fairly short time.

This car looks good, will put up good mileage numbers, and will be really fast in everyday driving - especially with the automatic.

I bet the Caddy comes in at an aggressive price, as well.

What times do you figure the new automatic M3 will put up on the 'Ring while completely stock? 8:07? 8:09?

Gotta hand it to GM. I'm looking for more to come. This has to be good for all of us.

Comparison tests to (inevitably) follow - in which the M3 will do fine.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
chromerl
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: B/S 335i

I'm lovin the power dome! Wonder where I've seen that before?!

This car looks awesome, but common, setting a Lap Time with a Roll Cage and Sparco's is quite misleading
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
He has no point.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

they all have the M in their crosshairs
      05-10-2008, 03:48 AM   #10
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

GM has indeed come a long way ... GM has figured out that you can't become competitive with BMW by aping them, but realizing your own strengths and building upon them. GM's strengths is their V8s, which is one of the best in the world, if not THE best, not because of power, but because it can be done with a remarkably simple design, and without the complexity (with the increased cost) of comparable DOHC V8s.

Now, GM is finally building the proper car around it that has more than 2 doors (read: not a Corvette). The CTS-V may not offer the pure feedback and balance of a BMW, but when the dust settles, you can never say GM brought a knife to a gunfight ... more like they brought a flamethrower :P

Remember, SAE certified numbers are still pending, and look at the final numbers for the ZR1. While this version of the LSA has some differences, I would not be terribly surprised if the final horsepower numbers for this car approach 570 hp.

Think about it ... a 550+ hp supercharged V8-equipped RWD V8 sedan all for the price of a loaded 550i. What a steal ...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's supposed to mean exactly what it states. It is still a Cadillac. I am not a fan of Cadillac's. They have come along way but it is still a GM.

I am entitled to my opinion, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #12
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Yup. More proof that they're back. The CTS is a player - and not just this one, either.

I saw the CTS-V at the New York show in a kind of gun metal grey, and damn!, it looked good.

Don't get me wrong, your M3 deserves your love. But you have to admit that Cadillac has come a long way in a fairly short time.

This car looks good, will put up good mileage numbers, and will be really fast in everyday driving - especially with the automatic.

What times do you figure the new automatic M3 will put up on the 'Ring while completely stock? 8:07? 8:09?

Gotta hand it to GM. I'm looking for more to come. This has to be good for all of us.

Bruce
No question that they have come along way. I haven't even been a BMW owner for a year yet (but have owned an 08 535i w/Sport and now my M3) but felt the same way prior to owning BMW's. I agree that healthy competition is a good thing - it keeps the rest of the manufacturer's on their toes.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #13
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
He has no point.
With replies like this, you should be over the 1000 post count mark soon. Keep up the good work.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's supposed to mean exactly what it states. It is still a Cadillac. I am not a fan of Cadillac's. They have come along way but it is still a GM.

I am entitled to my opinion, right?
Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I was just asking exactly what you meant. And i guess basically you're saying that Cadillac's and GM as a whole are not good in your opinion. Granted that image wise and performance overall is not as good as BMW but they've been catching up and reliability and quality in Cadillacs have been very good for quite a while now as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #15
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
No question that they have come along way. I haven't even been a BMW owner for a year yet (but have owned an 08 535i w/Sport and now my M3) but felt the same way prior to owning BMW's. I agree that healthy competition is a good thing - it keeps the rest of the manufacturer's on their toes.
Drop the possessive plurals, please. It gives people the possibly mistaken impression that you have a single tooth and play a banjo.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #16
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Thanks, professor.

Quote:
Drop the possessive plurals, please. It gives people the possibly mistaken impression that you have a single tooth and play a banjo.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #17
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
On many business trips I prefer to take the Caddy CTS. Drives well but feels like I'm boating. Either way, this is good news for those who love Caddys. I doubt we will see much of these cars on the road, I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #18
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice time. The Ring regression work predicts 7:57 based solely on power to weight. The M3 prediction is 8:04 (actual 8:05).

Good observation about the roll cage. This may or may not be a standard at the Ring for testing production vehicles. Safety first! If so it is all fair. Either way such a structure significantly stiffens the chassis and would produce a measureable benefit.

Lastly do note this is a top notch race driver with some accolades under his belt. Horst's Sportauto time, which for better or worse has become the benchmark, will clearly be quite a bit slower. Notice how BMW does not quote the times they have obtained with their own drivers. I'd love to hear the number for the DCT car with such a driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #19
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:

Bruce
If the automatic is no better than the ZF found in my e92b335i it will be nice, but not in the category of the M-DCT. They put a automatic in it that allows as much control as the M-DCT and produces better times than the manual they will have my attention, a possibly my business.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #20
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

I saw this car at the auto show, it's a nice looking car. If it was available today and not in short supply I'd definitely consider it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #21
Gabri343
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster - ex M3 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The M3 prediction is 8:04 (actual 8:05).
Yes but M3 coupè with Michelin Pilot Cup
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #22
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabri343 View Post
Yes but M3 coupè with Michelin Pilot Cup
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup+ actually which is a far cry from the non +. Funny that the item with the + is less sporty. Do you know what tires the Caddy was running?
Appreciate 0