E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > EBox/ECU Fan Replacement

07-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

EBox/ECU Fan Replacement

Can anyone link me to a good DIY? Can't really find one in my searches. Getting far too many random results when I search ecu or ebox fan replacement.

I did find some info stating to go from the glove box under the fuse panel using extensions and a torx bit to get the two screws off of the fan but other than this I really have no clue what else is required for the E90.

I found this for a 7 series but I'm pretty certain it's not right:

Disconnect battery
Remove passenger side microfilter (assuming USA / left-hand drive)
Remove microfilter clip above passenger side of e-box cover (1 screw)
Remove e-box (electronics box) cover
Unclip e-box fan connector (2-pin plug along interior edge of e-box closest to front of car)
Remove IVM module
Remove DME module
Remove Valvetronic control module
Remove any other modules remaining in the e-box because maybe your car is cooler than mine and you have more modules
Remove plastic module cage (one screw at front-passenger, one screw at rear-driver)
Remove e-box fan clamp (2 screws)
Pull out e-box fan and its ductwork (it all just pulls apart)
Clean out e-box and vent hole in base of e-box (rear-driver)

--

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Though I've never done this repair, You should be able to follow these steps for the most part.

Just leave out the portions regarding the IVM & VVT module because E90's don't have them. The cowl removal will be a little different as well.
Just got around to trying this and...it was a failure. Got the DME out ok, removed the smaller cage then the bigger shell that houses everything. There were 4 screws total, I think two of them screw into the fan but not 100% certain.

From here I couldn't figure out what to do, seems like I gotta come at it from inside the car but couldn't find anything that looked like the fan when looking through the glove box and behind the kick panel.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Mine has been dead for 2 years now.. I hope I don't fuck my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Mine has been dead for 2 years now.. I hope I don't fuck my car.
Are you also throwing code 2F71? If you've gone 2 years and your ecu hasn't fried yet then I'll feel a little less guilty about driving the car lol
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:12 PM   #5
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
Are you also throwing code 2F71? If you've gone 2 years and your ecu hasn't fried yet then I'll feel a little less guilty about driving the car lol
That sounds about right... I know it said ECU electrical fan fault or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That sounds about right... I know it said ECU electrical fan fault or something.
"Electronics-box fan, activation" is what it reads.

Found some additional information if you're curious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
E-box a.k.a. Electronics Box for Engine Management = Houses the control units for Engine Management, Chassis, etc...

Since this box must be sealed to avoid water intrusion, we don't want to fry the control units in places like Arizona or the sun. Unlike computers, our control units can withstand quite a bit of heat. They just wanted to make sure. I've unplugged noisy ones on E-38/39/32 in New York where I became BMW_tech many years ago and there were no problems during the heatwave where old people were dropping like flies in N.Y.C. It sets a fault, thats all.
There's also a decent possibility the fan still works but doesn't activate on one of the speed settings. Still throws the code though which is lovely...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
"Electronics-box fan, activation" is what it reads.

Found some additional information if you're curious:

There's also a decent possibility the fan still works but doesn't activate on one of the speed settings. Still throws the code though which is lovely...
Anyway to find out if its working vs completely busted? Its good it can stand the heat without it but.. if the ECU goes isn't that like 1000 dollar fix?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #8
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anyway to find out if its working vs completely busted? Its good it can stand the heat without it but.. if the ECU goes isn't that like 1000 dollar fix?
Not that I'm aware of, I think we need a 3pin fan. When I go back out to me car tomorrow I'll check my replacement to see if it's two or three pins. As I understand it 3 pins = multiple speeds. 2 pins = one speed fan

Not sure how much it costs, fan was $170 shipped though which is bs
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of, I think we need a 3pin fan. When I go back out to me car tomorrow I'll check my replacement to see if it's two or three pins. As I understand it 3 pins = multiple speeds. 2 pins = one speed fan

Not sure how much it costs, fan was $170 shipped though which is bs
What a fucking rip.. No aftermarket solutions?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What a fucking rip.. No aftermarket solutions?
Not that I could find. On another model (I think 7 series) there was a post regarding a replacement motor for the fan that cost ~$15 from RadioShack or something. But there wasn't much info for the E9x platform.

I could be wrong but if that BMW tech guy said it's for hot ass climates like Arizona then we should be okay. I also figure another possible reason for the fan is climates like in the middle East. Gets hot as fuck out there too.

We don't see that sorta weather in Philly, but I still wanna get it replaced if I can. I'll post a DIY if anyone can point me in the right direction for pulling the old one out
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
The DIY would be in Rheingold. Just search "FAN" in engine electronics. It may be on newtis.info as well.
Never knew those resources existed, but holy shit. Newtis.info is pretty legit

Here's the DIY for the fan, looks like I gotta remove the fuse panel...damnit lol I spent like an hour trying to go through the dme box

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-335i-lim/repair-manuals/12-engine-electrical-system/12-90-control-unit-box/Oantz3T

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:41 AM   #12
wkh023002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: n54 335i E93

Quote:
Just got around to trying this and...it was a failure. Got the DME out ok, removed the smaller cage then the bigger shell that houses everything. There were 4 screws total, I think two of them screw into the fan but not 100% certain.

From here I couldn't figure out what to do, seems like I gotta come at it from inside the car but couldn't find anything that looked like the fan when looking through the glove box and behind the kick panel.
From inside the cabin , did you remove the glovebox and the fusebox ?
I removed glovebox couldnt find the ebox fan like what you've shown in the above pic.
Appreciate 0