BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Iphone to USB for music no longer autoplaying

07-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 MG M2

Iphone to USB for music no longer autoplaying

I use an old iphone for playing music through the USB connection. It had been working great until I updated the iphone OS. Now the music does not autoplay when I go to turn the car on. I have to physically go into the phone, reconnect the USB drive for the car to recognize it, then navigate to the music app and hit play. Anyone else experiencing this?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoominrex View Post
I use an old iphone for playing music through the USB connection. It had been working great until I updated the iphone OS. Now the music does not autoplay when I go to turn the car on. I have to physically go into the phone, reconnect the USB drive for the car to recognize it, then navigate to the music app and hit play. Anyone else experiencing this?
Try deleting the phone and re-adding it
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Try deleting the phone and re-adding it
That won't cut it. There's some issue going on since iOS10 and it's gotten even worse with the iOS11 Beta - now Bluetooth/USB just tries to play the start of the first alphabetical song over and over and over and over again in 3 second clips then just shits the bed and stops working.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
My iPhone 6S works flawlessly. There are two times I have problems.
  1. When I plug in the phone too quickly it will switch to BMW USB. This behavior isn't consistent, so I'm not really sure what is going on.
  2. When I forget and have BT off, it will switch to BMW BT. Then it may default to BMW BT for a couple of times until it gets in the groove again.

I mentioned the delete and reinstall b/c, I was having a problem with DirectTV Now. I chatted with support and they wanted me to reboot the router, AppleTV, etc. I told them to pound sand b/c this was not Windows OS. They could see the errors but not why. Finally, right before I ended the chat the guy suggested deleting the app which would also delete the data file/cache and reinstall. That actually made sense. So I tried it and it worked. The data file must have been corrupted.

I would delete both sides of the connection, in the car and on the phone.

Last edited by omasou; 07-12-2017 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
My iPhone 6S works flawlessly. There are two times I have problems.
  1. When I plug in the phone too quickly it will switch to BMW USB. This behavior isn't consistent, so I'm not really sure what is going on.
  2. When I forget and have BT off, it will switch to BMW BT. Then it may default to BMW BT for a couple of times until it gets in the groove again.

I mentioned the delete and reinstall b/c, I was having a problem with DirectTV Now. I chatted with support and they wanted me to reboot the router, AppleTV, etc. I told them to pound sand b/c this was not Windows OS. They could see the errors but not why. Finally, right before I ended the chat the guy suggested deleting the app which would also delete the data file/cache and reinstall. That actually made sense. So I tried it and it worked. The data file must have been corrupted.

I would delete both sides of the connection, in the car and on the phone.

How do I delete the phone? I don't connect this one thru BT, only USB (It's an old iphone 6). When I used to get in the car, the music would start playing automatically from where it left off. Now, when I get into the car, it says USB device not supported and will only work after I replug the phone in, and hit play in Music.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
That won't cut it. There's some issue going on since iOS10 and it's gotten even worse with the iOS11 Beta - now Bluetooth/USB just tries to play the start of the first alphabetical song over and over and over and over again in 3 second clips then just shits the bed and stops working.
Yah it was ever since my last update. Things are all wonky now. It's getting frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoominrex View Post
How do I delete the phone? I don't connect this one thru BT, only USB (It's an old iphone 6). When I used to get in the car, the music would start playing automatically from where it left off. Now, when I get into the car, it says USB device not supported and will only work after I replug the phone in, and hit play in Music.
Sorry, I misread the original post. I would check to see if the car created a profile for your phone under
  • My Vehicle | iDrive Settings | Manage mobile devices or
  • Communication | Manage mobile devices

Last edited by omasou; 07-13-2017 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0