E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bad oil level sensor symptoms ?

07-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Mark e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Bad oil level sensor symptoms ?

I'm a little concerned / confused about my oil level.

The last I checked was around 200 miles ago and it was reading half full then when I was driving the car the other night I got the little exclamation mark and when I checked it was oil level add 1L. I pulled over after roughly 5 miles, I was a little concerned that it was telling me it was empty as i do monitor the consumption and its not usually as much as that ! I added 500ml from my top up bottle I have and drove home ( around another 5 miles ) the level now reads full !

I have found that the car burns 1 bar on the reading ( 250ml ) of oil per 300 miles. So the other thing I'm thinking that could have happened is when I last checked and it read half it may just have been ready to drop down to quarter ( last bar ) which is generally when I will top up, never had it low enough to tell me to add 1L before

Was out in the car today for a decent run and it's consistently showing oil level at full ( 4 bars ).

As I said the last time I checked the oil before I got the warning it was at half way so I'm now thinking it may have been a false alarm telling me I need to add 1 litre. Glad I only added 500 ml now !

I am reasonably confident the the current reading is correct but I'm just wondering if it may be best to just dump the oil and change the oil level sensor as it looks like it may be going bad. Could just be a one off I suppose but it doesn't really sit well with me....

What do use recon ? does this sound like a faulty sensor or slightly in accurate reading ?

just found out that a new level sensor is £150 ! So would rather be 100% sure thats the issue before I replace
      07-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
e28bmw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1987 e28 and 2008 e92 335i msp

it should show a fault code if the sensor is faulty. Do you have anything to scan the car for faults?
The code is 2F9E
      07-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
Mark e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Unfortunately not, I did have Carly app but it was on android and I have now moved to Apple. I may just get it again as it was a handy tool to have