BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Gabri343
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster - ex M3 E46

Audi R8 vs Porsche 911 Carrera 2S powerkit 381 hp

Impressive 997!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

The R8 should be embarassed. Higher price tag, larger v8, and the C2S dusts it. The facelift 997S with DSG is going to be spectacular.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
The R8 should be embarassed. Higher price tag, larger v8, and the C2S dusts it. The facelift 997S with DSG is going to be spectacular.
Agreed on both counts.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
OzCarfreak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Merc / BMW /Audi

but r8 still owns it boyz, wake up
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I would probably take the R8 over it still.....just me
      05-07-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

best to compare the R8 with the 4S
      05-07-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
I don't think a single run represents the true picture. 5th Gear did a direct comparison between the C4S with powerkit and the R8... the 2 were very close.

However, I do agree the updated 997S will be quite impressive
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #8
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCarfreak View Post
but r8 still owns it boyz, wake up
Granted the R8 has superior handling, but I still think that it is grossly over priced. At some angles it is beautiful and many others not so much; far too busy front end for example. I would rather own a 997tt for a bit more or a 997S for a bit less.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Unless the C2S (face-lift) can improve it's lap times by a decent percentage then the R8 will still own it on the track and off it. The only area where I see the C2S beating the R8 is on outright acceleration and that even without DSG.

The Audi is a superior product in my eyes in every way, it's looks are in a different class, as is it's interior design, the fact that it's mid-engined places it in a more exciting sector and then there is the balance from it's chassis. Sure the C2S is a great car but it's no R8.

It impossible to discuss price on the net because each country prices each car differently, here BMWs are dearer than Audis but the opposite is true in the US. Best discuss the merits of each and then work out in your own mind whether you are willing to pay the sticker price.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
I don't think a single run represents the true picture. 5th Gear did a direct comparison between the C4S with powerkit and the R8... the 2 were very close.

Agreed that a single run does not farily represent a true comparison. But, I do not think that comparisons should be limited to a C4S. Audi chose to only produce R8s with an AWD drive train. That should not narrow its competitors, imo.

Also, consider that the X51 C2S weighs about 200lbs less and produces well over 26 hp more (considering that it has less of a parasitic loss than the C2S). X51 911s run pretty hard compared to a 911 C2S. Runs to 100 and 150 shave roughly .8 and 1.5 seconds, respectively.

Anyway, yes the FL 997 should be impressive.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #11
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Unless the C2S (face-lift) can improve it's lap times by a decent percentage then the R8 will still own it on the track and off it. The only area where I see the C2S beating the R8 is on outright acceleration and that even without DSG.

The Audi is a superior product in my eyes in every way, it's looks are in a different class, as is it's interior design, the fact that it's mid-engined places it in a more exciting sector and then there is the balance from it's chassis. Sure the C2S is a great car but it's no R8.

It impossible to discuss price on the net because each country prices each car differently, here BMWs are dearer than Audis but the opposite is true in the US. Best discuss the merits of each and then work out in your own mind whether you are willing to pay the sticker price.

My feelings are based on US pricing, of course. And, yes they are just my feelings. The R8 is not my cup of tea. Yes, the R8 will run out run a 911 on the track but that is not important to me at the level of the performance that these cars provide.

I would not say that Audi's are more endearing in the states, they (A4s) are just more common due to their pricing advantage over the 3 series. But, that may change, of course, as Audi really appears to be stepping up their game.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #12
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I'm not a 911 fan, drove them and found them too tricky to learn their rear bias manner, some say that's part of their appeal but as with the R8 to you, the C2S is not my cup of tea.

I much prefer their Mid-engined cars (Boxster/Cayman) but then most people who have driven each agree with that opinion, the only reason why some buy the 911 instead is the image and status.

As for Audi's pricing policy in the States, I can't understand it or should I say how are BMW and Mercedes able to price imported cars so cheaply, that the real question.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a 911 fan, drove them and found them too tricky to learn their rear bias manner, some say that's part of their appeal but as with the R8 to you, the C2S is not my cup of tea.

I much prefer their Mid-engined cars (Boxster/Cayman) but then most people who have driven each agree with that opinion, the only reason why some buy the 911 instead is the image and status.

As for Audi's pricing policy in the States, I can't understand it or should I say how are BMW and Mercedes able to price imported cars so cheaply, that the real question.
Many buyers choose a car because of the perceived status, too include the R8.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Many buyers choose a car because of the perceived status, too include the R8.
Agreed but the R8 is kind of special in the Audi line up, no other car has it's abilities, it's looks or it's drama. The 997 has it's heritage but among it's siblings it don't look much different or special, either inside or out, to most people on the street the Cayman or Boxster looks identical to the 997, that can't be said for the R8 now can it.

I just feel that with the 997 you are having to explain yourself for why you pick it over the much better to drive Cayman or Boxster, it's a similar case with the M6 compared to the M3, the smaller coupe is the clear winner on handling, space, practicality and price and the only reason for picking the M6 is it's ultimate performance and snob status, because you have the money to be different.

Now that is not something that isn't likely to happen with the R8, as of yet Audi haven't built another car to get close to it's abilities and I serious doubt it will any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed but the R8 is kind of special in the Audi line up, no other car has it's abilities, it's looks or it's drama. The 997 has it's heritage but among it's siblings it don't look much different or special, either inside or out, to most people on the street the Cayman or Boxster looks identical to the 997, that can't be said for the R8 now can it.

I just feel that with the 997 you are having to explain yourself for why you pick it over the much better to drive Cayman or Boxster, it's a similar case with the M6 compared to the M3, the smaller coupe is the clear winner on handling, space, practicality and price and the only reason for picking the M6 is it's ultimate performance and snob status, because you have the money to be different.

Now that is not something that isn't likely to happen with the R8, as of yet Audi haven't built another car to get close to it's abilities and I serious doubt it will any time soon.

I picked the 911 because it is much more satisfying to drive to me than any of the other Porsches that you mentioned. And, I simply dislike the R8.

The Boxster and Cayman are too under powered. I love the classic/contemporary 911 look. Who cares if you don't feel the same way, or if you think I am defending anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #16
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I picked the 911 because it is much more satisfying to drive to me than any of the other Porsches that you mentioned. And, I simply dislike the R8.

The Boxster and Cayman are too under powered. I love the classic/contemporary 911 look. Who cares if you don't feel the same way, or if you think I am defending anything.
Mate, it's just a difference of opinion, no harm in that and thank god every one has their own opinion or otherwise we would all be driving the same piece of shit. Now how bolding would that be.

I may choose the R8 over the 997 but that doesn't mean given the choice of a 911 I would turn it down on principal, it's still a great car and better than most other cars out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mate, it's just a difference of opinion, no harm in that and thank god every one has their own opinion or otherwise we would all be driving the same piece of shit. Now how bolding would that be.

I may choose the R8 over the 997 but that doesn't mean given the choice of a 911 I would turn it down on principal, it's still a great car and better than most other cars out there.
Well, if you say it like that, then... X2, and how about a shot, or two , of Partida tequila; blanco would be real nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post

That run was from a stop... this was from a roll. And the C2S is quicker from a roll than a C4S. Either way, a v8 should show better against competition with a smaller motor, and less horsepower don't you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Considering the C2S is now (in the US) going to have an LSD available and a -20 mm sport suspension along with DSG I would say the R8 is going to have its hands full.

It isn't impossible to discuss price, where is the 911S priced higher than the R8? And I can go to a Porsche dealer and get a 911, I can't go get an R8 because of the production. I had a deposit down for the R8 for a while and Newport Audi never ended up paying what Audi required to become an R8 dealer. Suffice it to say, getting an R8 for anywhere near the cost of a 911 today is impossible.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #20
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Considering the C2S is now (in the US) going to have an LSD available and a -20 mm sport suspension along with DSG I would say the R8 is going to have its hands full.

It isn't impossible to discuss price, where is the 911S priced higher than the R8? And I can go to a Porsche dealer and get a 911, I can't go get an R8 because of the production. I had a deposit down for the R8 for a while and Newport Audi never ended up paying what Audi required to become an R8 dealer. Suffice it to say, getting an R8 for anywhere near the cost of a 911 today is impossible.
All valid points sticky and I agree, to get an R8 as easily as a 997 will be impossible because of the success of the thing which then leads to another thing about the price, the resale of both of them. The 997 holds good money over here but it's no where near as strong as the R8, in fact if you had bought an R8 when it was launched over here you could trade it in for a minimum of list price, no bad for 10,000miles and over a year's driving.

The UK price of an R8 starts at roughly £77K and the C2S is £68K but when specced the same the price difference drops to about £5K. Now on these prices of cars I doubt to may people will be concerning themselves over £5K but I don't know the difference there is between the two in the US, it may be a lot more than it is over here.

That is why I don't like to discuss the price in a debate as it's always localised and means something different to each person.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #21
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

cant open the video, whats up?
Appreciate 0