THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Here come the angry experts lol

06-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
steve1980
Private
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 M3 ZCP

Here come the angry experts lol

Hello to all. I am more then likely going to purchase my car at the end of my lease, and am curious about some aftermarket tunes and equipment. I would like to add a few things to enhance the car a bit without going crazy. I am considering adding the Dinan stabilizer bars, a cold air intake, and possibly an intercooler. My main question is regarding a tune. I am very satisfied with the power this car has and honestly do not feel I need any more. Handling I would not mind improving a bit more with the bars perhaps, as I have the Dinan springs installed and have the m performance LSD. The intake n cooler are things that add a little horse at best but will hopefully just make the car n engine run that much better, especially in the warmer weather. Is there any option tune wise that is mild and or undetectable if I go an non warrantied route? Well aware of Dinan's tune but not sure if I should spend 2k on that, and certainly have read many mixed reviews on it. I am also aware of the JB4 piggy back types out there, however I am concerned with it being detected as I plan to keep this car under warranty best I can. I wouldn't mind If I got a minimal HP gain, as I just want to have the car running right with its new parts. I am learning as I go w this kind of stuff so experts bear with me please. All info is much appreciated guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

BMS stage 1 might be your ticket. It's easily removable, 5 mins, proven track record, and I relatively mild. Keep in mind, if something goes really wrong, there is a good chance BMW can trace it back to a tune even if you remove the box. Then again, intercooler is probably a much more obvious piece of equipment where they might attempt to void your warranty if anything motor related goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Keep in mind if you plan to CPO the car they will only do that when it's stock. So do that first then get all the crap you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
steve1980
Private
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 M3 ZCP

Yes I will certainly do that before adding anything. If I go Dinan with the intake,cooler, n tune will it remain certified? My understanding is yes but confirming is always a plus if anyone can speak on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

If you are planning on getting an open intake, JB4 is strongly recommended.

Otherwise just get a Jb stage 1, JB+ or Dinan Sport for a mild power increase

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 12:16 AM   #6
redmoe
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1980 View Post
Yes I will certainly do that before adding anything. If I go Dinan with the intake,cooler, n tune will it remain certified? My understanding is yes but confirming is always a plus if anyone can speak on it.
The warranty that Dinan offers states it is for the duration of the new car warranty. I do not believe they will cover the cpo portion. Also the warranty is through them if BMW denies the claim. So if your original factory warranty is nearly expired the Dinan won't get you anymore coverage then any other tuner.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:23 AM   #7
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Bootmod3 flash tune is by far the best option currently. It's a proper flash tune that doesn't make the many compromises that running a piggyback make.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmoe View Post
The warranty that Dinan offers states it is for the duration of the new car warranty. I do not believe they will cover the cpo portion. Also the warranty is through them if BMW denies the claim. So if your original factory warranty is nearly expired the Dinan won't get you anymore coverage then any other tuner.
That is correct. The best thing you can do, get the Dinan install done at a BMW shop so you have one throat to choke in the event of an issue. Just let them sort out who covers and pays for what. You don't have to fight with anyone.
Appreciate 1