F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Clunk in rear when Braking in Reverse
proTUNING Freaks

06-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Clunk in rear when Braking in Reverse

As stated, I am getting a noticeable "clunk" when the car is braked in Reverse only. Plus it doesn't seem to happen every time, only when the car has been sitting.

I'm away from my home - 1100 miles away - for my late Mom's services, staying at the house I grew up in. We are jockeying the cars in the driveway, just like when we all lived here as teens.

As I was backing it up slowly in reverse, I was tapping the brakes, heard the clunk a few times in a row. The next day, I backed up a bit quicker and hit the brakes harder, got the clunk only once and couldn't repeat it. Haven't tried yet today.

I'm going to bring it into the local BMW dealer (North Haven, CT) but I'm wondering if the community here has any thoughts.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

maybe a diff bushing or something similar.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Does this problem happen every time? As long as the symptoms can be consistently replicated, the dealer will find the root cause.

Last edited by cfm56d7b; 06-19-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
paul e
Captain
Rep

NTF. All is secure and tight. Unable to replicate.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Often times something like this may be due to the brake pads moving ever so slightly inside the calipers. If it happens the first time you brake in reverse but not the second time you brake in reverse, then it's a good suggestion this is the problem. If you alternated reverse, then forward, then reverse, you may hear the noise in both directions (but one of them may be easier to hear). If someone is standing outside of the car when this happens, they should easily be able to trace the noise to the offending wheel and brake. Normally this isn't a serious problem, but it could be indicative of a pad where the lining broke loose from the backer, or the pad guides/slides are worn. So I'd get it checked out if in doubt.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

So I know this is an old thread, but figured better to resurrect vs starting a similar thread.

So my car (2017 340) has suffered from this condition since it was new, dealer could never duplicate the noise, thus it went unfixed. Until my most recent visit, the car is in due to a rock going through the radiator (yes another one of those) while there I was able to produce the "thunk" and SA sent me a message yesterday stating:

the foreman found an update to the driveshaft causing the clunk noise on your car! There is some hardware and loctite that needs to be ordered and it should be here in a couple days

Anyhoo maybe that will help someone if they are experiencing the same. I'll post a picture of the service order when I get it back
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
paul e
Captain
Rep

Appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
track.n.trail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Often times something like this may be due to the brake pads moving ever so slightly inside the calipers. If it happens the first time you brake in reverse but not the second time you brake in reverse, then it's a good suggestion this is the problem. If you alternated reverse, then forward, then reverse, you may hear the noise in both directions (but one of them may be easier to hear). If someone is standing outside of the car when this happens, they should easily be able to trace the noise to the offending wheel and brake. Normally this isn't a serious problem, but it could be indicative of a pad where the lining broke loose from the backer, or the pad guides/slides are worn. So I'd get it checked out if in doubt.
This, especially if you have the track handling/m-performance brakes. I always get this the first time I apply the brakes in reverse and have heard it's common/normal for these brake calipers.

Previous: 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE | 2020 JLUR Wrangler | F30 340i | B7 Audi A4 APR Tuned | E46 330ci
Instagram @track.n.trail
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
This, especially if you have the track handling/m-performance brakes. I always get this the first time I apply the brakes in reverse and have heard it's common/normal for these brake calipers.
I also recently had my pads and rotors changed and mine does this now. Clunk on reverse then clunk when switching back to drive, but then it stops. I have read that it's normal for many pads and am not worried about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #10
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
So I know this is an old thread, but figured better to resurrect vs starting a similar thread.

So my car (2017 340) has suffered from this condition since it was new, dealer could never duplicate the noise, thus it went unfixed. Until my most recent visit, the car is in due to a rock going through the radiator (yes another one of those) while there I was able to produce the "thunk" and SA sent me a message yesterday stating:

the foreman found an update to the driveshaft causing the clunk noise on your car! There is some hardware and loctite that needs to be ordered and it should be here in a couple days

Anyhoo maybe that will help someone if they are experiencing the same. I'll post a picture of the service order when I get it back
Here you go...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0