F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > So I installed a oil thermostat swap on my N55...
Extreme Powerhouse

06-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

So I installed a oil thermostat swap on my N55...

Bought one of these about 4 months ago:

https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...l-cooler-valve

Been sitting in the garage since it arrived from Taiwan.

Finally got around to installing it. I chose to go with this company as I was fairly confident them being from China / Taiwan, they would put 5 dollars down as the value and it would skip me the hastle of customs etc. Don't really mind paying up, but its a major pain in the ass in my country. Usually involves having to go to the customs office, personally to hand in a form before they do they release. Plus I read that this model keeps the thermostat closed durring initial warm up, but just kicks the oil cooler in sooner. Don't have a link to the post that stated this... But that was the goal.

Anyways... Threw it on yesterday and am generally pretty happy with the results.

Warm up time (from cold start) looks the same as before. 3 or so KM and I can start to see the temp needle start to budge.

Had a bit of a longer drive today, and never saw the needle cross the 110C mark. We did have a bit of a colder day today (for this time of year I guess)... 18C ambient temp. Although I did keep it fairly tame as far as driving went... Lots of Police out in the city last couple of weeks... Must be time to hit that quota.

I'm sure as those that know these thermostat swaps tend to work... If you push the car for some medium / extended periods of time... Having the oil cooler in the loop will not make a difference. But durring daily driving, which is where I spend all my time, looks like it does the job as advertised.

Oh and BTW, yes... The needle does cross that magical 218F mark fairly quickly where condensation / etc in the oil are taken care of by the laws of nature. I know there is some debate around if these are good or not... But my understanding has always been that keeping the oil temp just over 218F is optimal... 250F (120C) where it would hit often before seamed a little high... Feel free to (gently) school me if my thinking is wrong.

How it performs when the weather turns cold, only time will tell. But strictly judging by the fact that @ 18C ambient temp oil temp started to climb just as it did previously I'm guessing it should be ok... Worst case the OEM goes back in for the winter. 5 minute swap.
Appreciate 0