F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > MY2018 F30 340i M-Sport or G20 M340i? Advice Appreciated.
proTUNING Freaks

06-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
AD7
Rep
Drives: N/A

Hello all,

I'm a new member on here and I felt that I should share some of my thoughts on leasing my first car. Since many of you have a great amount of experience with BMWs and cars in general, I thought that it'd be a good idea to hear what you have to say, so feel free to chime in!

Brief background of my situation:

As a college student, I've been looking to lease my first car, a sports sedan. After all, I chose to take the BMW route. Even though the MB C43 AMG is a great car with a lot of "bling" (all of the extra stuff: lots of AMG badging, deep-sounding stock exhaust note, and high-quality material used for the interior/exterior, which makes the car look very new), I would still take the F30 340 over it. One of my main reasons is that the C43's exterior looks too luxurious to me. It's just not my style. As a young man, I prefer a sportier exterior look and a more agile car. I want my 340 with RWD and that's not something offered in the C43. Also, in terms of interior, the inside of the 340 may be dated, but it's still fresh and has all I need.

So, I finally made my confident decision of choosing the 340 over the C43, but another car added a wrinkle to my plans. This car was the upcoming G20 M340i. Currently, I have a MY2018 F30 340i M-Sport on queue at the dealership (July production). To add a little taste of newness, I'll hopefully be able to add the new M-Sport wheels, fully digital instrument cluster, and touch-screen iDrive screen that are on the new 440i and 540i. Those three features are all I know of at the moment and I hope that they'll be available options for my 340. We'll get to see once the official MY2018 order guides are released.

With all of this said about my current situation and the MY2018 340, would it be a smart/beneficial decision to get the F30 now instead of waiting at least another year for the G20?

Here are some reasons why I am leaning more towards the 2018 F30:

- The F30 is great as it is. For me, it's the best all-around car when compared to its competitors. It has everything that I want and need.

- There is at least a one-year wait for the G20 and I want my first car soon. I can't picture myself waiting that long. Also, the wait may be even longer, since I've read that the F30 will most likely end production in October of 2018. That means production will probably start in November of 2018 and deliveries will be made by mid/late December of 2018. Based on my calculation, the G20 will be released onto the streets about 1 year and 4 months after I receive my MY2018 340 this August of 2017 (that's if everything goes smoothly and is on schedule). 1 year and 4 months would be a very long wait for the G20!

- It's impossible to always have the newest car and play "catch-up," since there's always a newer or better car that's comes out the next year.

- Leasing a first model year of the G20 might be risky. It'll look new and all, but will it be the best performing/looking version of the G20? We haven't even seen it yet, but I'm guessing it'll be a smaller version of the 540i. I think I'd rather be safe, wait, and see what I and other people think about it. Then, after my lease expires, I'd get a 3rd-year G20 model when all of the crucial tweaks are made (after seeing what was wrong with the first two model years). That'd be a beast!

[Quick question: would I be able to break/terminate my BMW lease after 2 years without spending a lot of money? Minimal or no damage on my pockets would be great. Pulling a lease while having 1 year left doesn't sound too bad. By the way, this isn't something I plan on doing, but I figure it's safe to know what my options are. If I were to consider it, it'd be only if the G20 greatly surpasses the F30 and ends up being the best non-M 3-series ever.]

As you can tell, I'm leaning more towards the F30. Do you agree with my reasons? Am I thinking with the right mindset? Please let me know what you all think.

I apologize for typing such a long post. I will definitely appreciate those of you who take your time to read through it.

Thank you and take care!

Last edited by AD7; 06-10-2017 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Your lease deal on an F30 will have lower payments because you could likely get a better selling price.

If you are leasing it wouldn't matter about the first year of production because you'd return the car in 3 years and warranty would cover issues.

I would get the newer model later next year but that's me. That is if cost doesn't matter.

Since you are so young though, If you're paying for everything yourself I'd go with F30, especially right out of college you'll be paying close to $200 per month insurance on top of lease.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 2
AD713.50
      06-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Couple reason imo to wait
1) its only 1 more year
2) in 1 year the F30 will be old news (I happen to luv mine but itll be the "previous" iteration)
3) BMW is in hot competition in this space and I would expect a properly spec'd G20 to be an improvement over even the 340i to create distance from its competitors .. ie the M340i
besides the engine will be the same
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
AD7
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Your lease deal on an F30 will have lower payments because you could likely get a better selling price.

If you are leasing it wouldn't matter about the first year of production because you'd return the car in 3 years and warranty would cover issues.

I would get the newer model later next year but that's me. That is if cost doesn't matter.

Since you are so young though, If you're paying for everything yourself I'd go with F30, especially right out of college you'll be paying close to $200 per month insurance on top of lease.
Thank you for your response!

Cost isn't really the problem here. Time is one of my biggest issues. From a price perspective, I definitely have an amazing deal for this F30 and a low insurance payment amount (much lower than $200/mo). I also understand that prices for the G20 won't be as low. But is the 1-year (or longer) wait worth it? We don't even know when the G20's official release is! It could be delayed for all we know. I'm still in college and I'm young. Being carless for a year or more is kind of wasting some of the enjoyment out of my youth. It's also going to be my first car and getting places quicker is important to me. At the same time, I also want the best car out! This is a very tough decision.

In terms of having the first year of production, I meant that BMW wouldn't have the best version of the G20 out during the first year. I've heard that first year models aren't usually good to get. There will always be a better G20 after the first model year. It'll be much more improved 1 or 2 years down the line when my lease would expire. I'm not worried about having issues with the car. I'm more concerned about having the the best and most updated version of the G20 (which for me, would be the 3rd model year of the G20, since my F30 lease would expire during its launch). For example, the MY2018 F30 will clearly be the best F30 model, since it is the last and it been updated/tweaked for 7 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
OneLastBMW
Sarcasm while you wait.
Rep
Drives: 2017 F33 B58 xDrive

The time is now to get over the obsession with always having the newest thing available, it makes for a much happier and long life. Get the 2018, it's a fine car and will be no less so when something else comes out.

Personally, I think the 340 has two too many doors and isn't as well proportioned as the 440 Grande Coupe if you need 4 doors...but that isn't what you asked.

Being a student clearly pays better than it did 35 years ago.

Last edited by OneLastBMW; 06-10-2017 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
icwhatudidthere
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

If you need a car now, you buy a car now. And you make that decision with no mind to what's coming in the future because there will always be a better car in the future.

That said, it doesn't actually sound like you need a car now.

Either way, whatever car you get, make sure it has every single option that's a must have for you, otherwise you'll regret it every time you drive it and you'll likely make stupid financial choices to get out of it.
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

If you're not into tech stuff like auto braking, full digital cluster, torque vectoring rear wheels than just go f30. if the G30 is any indication of where bmw will take the g20 then don't expect any better steering feel and expect a whole lot less natural feel if u opt for all the driving tech in the m sport versions

Good comment on the 440 gc, as it won't be replaced until at least 2020

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug

Last edited by anotheran; 06-10-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #8
Buzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MT 244'80 V70R'07 Golf R'19

Whatever you do, if you're getting a new BMW order it to spec and pick it up in Munich and South Carolina.
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Will the car be in your parents name? if not insurance will be pricey. BMW makes the individual on the lease have his or her own insurance. Mine was much cheaper, then I got my car at 25 and since I was in my own it went way up. No accidents, tickets etc.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #10
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

I doubt the G20 M340 is gonna be a huge difference then the F30 340, check this article:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/06/09/ne...ghter-premium/

HP is up only 7 and TQ by 20nm and its like 70lbs lighter. I doubt you will ever feel the difference especially on the streets of NYC, unless you are gonna track it? I would get the 2018 340 asap enjoy your hard work at college and worry later about the Next car... I am sure you will love the 340, whats not to love? Good luck with your decision and congratulation on your graduation
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-11-2017, 03:18 AM   #11
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

IMHO, if you need a car right now, buy the C43 or the new S4/S5. Every forum has a set of members that receive their car within 1 year of a full model change and they end up regretting it. A lot of people will argue that you will get an amazing deal right now, but if you're forking out the serious money you need for a high end 3 series, I doubt being a bargain hunter is your top priority. Just remember, you can justify buying your car now all you want....as long as you are convinced you won't feel bad when you see the new G20s rolling around and still have years of heavy payments left on your lease.
Appreciate 2
AudiA4647.50
AD713.50
      06-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Get the AMG C63 s on the used car market in a couple years with warranty. These things depreciate fast in the first couple of years and you can get a lot of car for the money. If you get the coupe those are still rear drive. It's really a nice car that you can get with a V8.
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
HP is up only 7 and TQ by 20nm and its like 70lbs lighter. I doubt you will ever feel the difference especially on the streets of NYC, unless you are gonna track it?
70lb would still be noticeable, it's half the weight of an average person - I can instantly feel the difference with my car when I'm driving with someone vs. just myself. I'm talking about day to day city driving when it comes to acceleration.

To the OP, get a MY2018 F30. You clearly don't care for keeping the car (lease) so why do you care if it gets outdated after 1.5 years? 340i are not as common in the streets as you think they are, an F30 340i will still stand out from the crowd in the years to come and you be able to enjoy the car sooner than later.

There's always something new that's coming out and there will always be a big financial impact when getting a brand new car then switching after only a year or so.

Another option is you get a used MY2016/17 F30 340i then sell it once the G20 M340i comes out if you really want it badly. Drawback of this is you may not find one with all the options you want... but at least you'll get a better car at the end of next year lol.
AD713.50
      06-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #14
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

I'd say get the 340 now. It's a lease. After 2 years it'll hopefully be year 2 or 3 of the G20. By then maybe the LCI would out and you get all the updated goodies that come with it. And a 2 year lease isn't bad to hold down as the 340 is a fun car in itself. Since you're not purchasing none of this long term regret really matters since you'd be giving it back to BMW in a couple of years. My 335 has been keeping me happy.
AD713.50
      06-11-2017, 11:53 PM   #15
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
IMHO, if you need a car right now, buy the C43 or the new S4/S5. Every forum has a set of members that receive their car within 1 year of a full model change and they end up regretting it. A lot of people will argue that you will get an amazing deal right now, but if you're forking out the serious money you need for a high end 3 series, I doubt being a bargain hunter is your top priority. Just remember, you can justify buying your car now all you want....as long as you are convinced you won't feel bad when you see the new G20s rolling around and still have years of heavy payments left on your lease.
This x100...no way I'd purchase "new" what is essentially a 6 year old car set to be replaced within 12 months. If you need a car now, get what's really "new" (S4) or wait for the G20. Talk about regret...

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-12-2017, 05:16 AM   #16
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Quote:
This x100...no way I'd purchase "new" what is essentially a 6 year old car set to be replaced within 12 months. If you need a car now, get what's really "new" (S4) or wait for the G20. Talk about regret...
That sounds like some experience talking. Haha ya make sure you won't regret it when the next new thing pops up next to you. I have the same mindset for tiers of car. Like buying a WRX over a STi. You better not feel stupid when that STi rolls up next to you. Which is why I just get be top of the line to prevent that. Haha

But it seems like he's thinking about leases only so even if there is regret, it'll only be for short term and it's not a terrible idea to wait out all the first MY bugs.
      06-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #17
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Quote:
That sounds like some experience talking. Haha ya make sure you won't regret it when the next new thing pops up next to you. I have the same mindset for tiers of car. Like buying a WRX over a STi. You better not feel stupid when that STi rolls up next to you. Which is why I just get be top of the line to prevent that. Haha

But it seems like he's thinking about leases only so even if there is regret, it'll only be for short term and it's not a terrible idea to wait out all the first MY bugs.
Good point about a lease. My perspective comes from purchasing cars and typically keeping them for 6-10 years.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #18
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

new generation car in its first year will have the typical growing pain. It is really a toss up decision whether to go for it or not, so as long you accept this sort of issues will happen and deal with it accordingly, then I say to just enjoy the car.

All my cars purchased in the past 7 yrs or so have been new generation of 1st year production, they all had some sort of issues to some degree but I had accepted the fact.
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-14-2017, 11:59 PM   #19
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

Your perfect scenario is to lease the 340, but only for 2 years. By doing a 2 year lease, you have the best of both worlds. (1) You can get your car now, and (2), by the time the G20 M340i becomes widely available, your lease will be almost up, and you can then make the transition to the newer car.
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-15-2017, 02:32 AM   #20
add911_11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330I M Sport

I will wait for the new G20 to come out. It doesn't seems you are in a hurry to get a car
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #21
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I'm for getting the G20. You will get more bang for the buck. The base price will go up but they'll be more standard equipment and the better motor for a relatively minor bump in price.
Appreciate 1
AD713.50
      06-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #22
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

G20 probably will not have the same discounts off MSRP that you would get with a 2017 or 2018 F30
Appreciate 1
AD713.50