F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Looking to buy a used F30
ARMA SPEED

06-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Looking to buy a used F30

Appreciate if you would answer couple of my questions:
1. What package/s should I look for as a must? I assume M sport?
2. I've read that n55 engine is descent reliability wise, but what about N20 - are there some issues or they were sorted out?
3. Is M Performance a package worth searching for?
4. Is 2015 LCI a lot better or should I save money with 2014?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2013 335i xdrive m-sport

If you want to mod for power, do not get the n20/n26. They are very limited on the power increase they can handle on the stock block. At stock power levels, so far all 3 engines are fairly reliable.

Packages are a personal preference. Msport is worth it for looks alone IMO, other than that you don't gain much for performance besides a second oil cooler and slightly better suspension on the RWD cars.

Definitely get at least the HID headlight package, or LED. The halogens suck. Also the Security package is nice because the car beeps when you lock/unlock it (some dont come with that and it is actually kind of hard to tell if the car locked/unlocked or not.)

All of the cameras and what not are optional. I have them and have already had to have one replaced due to a malfunction. So I say don't worry about if the car has them or not, besides the backup cam.

Save your money on the LCI and get a 2014. The 2014's are nice because they have the upgraded EWG turbo, and upgraded Nav/Idrive system. With the LCI you don't really gain anything and in fact, I like the looks of the pre LCI lights better.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
M-Sport cars don't have different suspensions vs my Sport Line model (704 spec), so no, if you want the sportier chassis, you don't 'need' an M-sport. If you like the front end of the M-sport and the side skirts, go that route. The extra coolers etc mean nothing if you don't take the car to the track. I agree on the headlight comment..get the best lighting package you can find. I don't have the security package (?), but my headlights/etc flash when I lock it so I don't need to hear the 'beep' .

Nothing beats the sound(s) of the N series motors (NA or turbo). The N20/N26, while power sufficient, just sound like a sewing machine at idle or full song...(I refuse to pay a chunk of $ just so that others can hear me going by and be 'impressed' with the engine sound lol.)

As far as years go, go with a good condition/low mileage car. If you can get a 2015, there should be warranty coverage left for peace of mind.
      06-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

For me the required packages were Msport (steering wheel alone is worth it), HID/LED (I dont even know why ANY BMW comes with halogen these days) and tech package (because I just hate the way the smaller display looks). Anything else like HUD, upgraded stereo etc was just a bonus.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
FutureHendr1x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 Msport

I just recently purchased a Certified Pre Owned 2014 335 with 19,455 miles on the clock. Maitanance package incldude till next year 06/18, CPO 06/20.

Msport
Tech package Heads up display
Navigation
Premium package
19 403 upgraded wheels
Driver assistance package
Cold weather package
Lighting package ( i guess its standard on 2014's 335?)

$36,000 out the door - i think i got a really good deal i haven't seen anything close to this, i only wish it had Harman Kardon.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureHendr1x View Post
I just recently purchased a Certified Pre Owned 2014 335 with 19,455 miles on the clock. Maitanance package incldude till next year 06/18, CPO 06/20.

Msport
Tech package Heads up display
Navigation
Premium package
19 403 upgraded wheels
Driver assistance package
Cold weather package
Lighting package ( i guess its standard on 2014's 335?)

$36,000 out the door - i think i got a really good deal i haven't seen anything close to this, i only wish it had Harman Kardon.
Congrats, welcome to the forum. Well optioned, low mileage CPO. Correct, the Lighting Package is standard on 335i, it was a $900 option on the 328i.

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys! Does F30 335i come with HID or LEDs by default?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
drummerlauw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i. 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeard View Post
Thanks guys! Does F30 335i come with HID or LEDs by default?
HID
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Definitely make sure you have the Xenons/LED headlights; as noted, the halogens aren't great.

The Premium package is worthwhile, lots of good odds and ends in there.

The harman/kardon sound system might be hard to find, but is a decent system, and it beats having to upgrade aftermarket.

The navigation system is probably also worth getting. It will get you a better iDrive display, as well.

Sport seats are another plus, look for those. The car doesn't have to have M Sport to have sport seats, as they were/are available with the plain sport package.

The list of improvements in the LCI model is pretty extensive. I'd say it might be worth getting a lighter-optioned LCI car than a pre-LCI car with more options.

Charles
      06-10-2017, 12:59 AM   #10
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Msport looks so much better than any of the other 3 series lines, especially in Estoril blue
      06-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, I think I'm set on M-sport for aesthetics, will try to get Xenon, but if not hopefully HIDs are ok-ish?

So far I'm looking at pre-lci vs lci and price difference is $8k on average - price to pay for lci goodies, but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it. To be honest coming from 2007 e90 328xi - I can't complain with 2014 M-sport 335i I think. I'm also trying to figure out easiest way to spot different packages when browsing ads, often they don't mention any packages. What's the easiest way to spot Premium or Navi or Harman-Kardon? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks guys, I think I'm set on M-sport for aesthetics, will try to get Xenon, but if not hopefully HIDs are ok-ish?

So far I'm looking at pre-lci vs lci and price difference is $8k on average - price to pay for lci goodies, but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it. To be honest coming from 2007 e90 328xi - I can't complain with 2014 M-sport 335i I think. I'm also trying to figure out easiest way to spot different packages when browsing ads, often they don't mention any packages. What's the easiest way to spot Premium or Navi or Harman-Kardon? Thank you
Premium is easy to spot. Look at the pictures of the interior and look for (1) sunroof and (b) the dead giveaway is the rearview mirror has the little buttons on it. This is the auto dimming mirror, only avail with the premium package. #3 giveaway is there will be a picture of the driver seat. On the side of the seat will be all the power seat adjustments - there will be a circular button with 4 adjustment 'buttons' and this is the lumbar support. Cant get lumbar w/out premium.

Harmon kardon is easy because the speakers look different. Its a silver speaker grill cover with a silver dust cap and I believe a silver speaker cone. Little HK audio logo on the door sill tweeters as well.

Good thing about shopping used 335i is that HK audio and premium are almost always on those cars. 328i you basically never find one with HK audio and premium is in about 50% of cars.

I disagree about modding the n20/26 engine though. Plenty of guys running JB+, stage 1 and JB4 on their 328s and putting down some legit power with no problems. Never gonna sound like the n55 though or be as smooth.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 2
CJ4211559.00
      06-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:

HID = Xenon, in this case. You can look at the headlight closely, it will say "BMW Xenon" or "BMW LED", something to that effect. If nothing is written on the headlight, it's probably halogen.

Just get the VIN for whichever car you're looking at, you can then put it in Real OEM and figure out what came on the car.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Charles
      06-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #14
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

M sport for the looks. The xenon also for looks but the output is tons better. The new iDrive for the 2014 models make a nice upgrade. Also a sports tranny if you're auto. You get nice paddle shifters and some upgraded goodies too! I'd take the pre lci with at least these packages.
      06-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
M sport for the looks. The xenon also for looks but the output is tons better. The new iDrive for the 2014 models make a nice upgrade. Also a sports tranny if you're auto. You get nice paddle shifters and some upgraded goodies too! I'd take the pre lci with at least these packages.
Does sport tranny comes with m sport by default or it's a separate package?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #16
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

One more question for the community: what color combo is best or one of the best? For example in e90 saddle brown seats with were hard to come by and were considered on e of the better choices for looks
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
One more question for the community: what color combo is best or one of the best? For example in e90 saddle brown seats with were hard to come by and were considered on e of the better choices for looks
I dunno what the "best" color is as it seems rather subjective, however I like white with red interior or saddle interior (if you can get that on a 335 Msport I have personally never seen one with saddle brown). Or if you can deal with keeping it clean black with red interior.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #18
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It does NOT come default with the M sport. M sport is solely looks. You can easily spot the sports tranny by seeing if there's a paddle shifter and also the shifter is different. You can have sports tranny WITHOUT the m sport package as well. I'll show you picture details of the options so you don't get confused. It was really confusing for me when I first started looking online. Haha

The right shifter is the sports shifter. It's shorter and more stout whereas the normal auto tranny leans to one side and is a bit slimmer.

The M sport wheel with the sports tranny should be the steering wheel that is more slender and will have the paddle shifters peaking out from behind the cross section-- just above the buttons on the steering wheel.

The non-m sport sports tranny should have a steering wheel that is bulkier in the middle but would also have the paddle shifters above the steering controls.

Any non-sport tranny or 6mt will look the same. It's just whether it has M sport or not that will dictate which steering wheel you get.
      06-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #19
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It does NOT come default with the M sport. M sport is solely looks. You can easily spot the sports tranny by seeing if there's a paddle shifter and also the shifter is different. You can have sports tranny WITHOUT the m sport package as well. I'll show you picture details of the options so you don't get confused. It was really confusing for me when I first started looking online. Haha

The right shifter is the sports shifter. It's shorter and more stout whereas the normal auto tranny leans to one side and is a bit slimmer.

The M sport wheel with the sports tranny should be the steering wheel that is more slender and will have the paddle shifters peaking out from behind the cross section-- just above the buttons on the steering wheel.

The non-m sport sports tranny should have a steering wheel that is bulkier in the middle but would also have the paddle shifters above the steering controls.

Any non-sport tranny or 6mt will look the same. It's Judy whether it has M sport or not that will dictate which steering wheel you get.
I'm on my phone and don't see any pics. Please let me know if it's not showing. I'm overseas right now in Bordeaux so my internet is really spotty. I can re-upload them if they're really not showing. Can't tell if it didn't upload or it's just not loading on my 56k-like speeds.
      06-12-2017, 05:11 AM   #20
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Color scheme is subjective but I'd also go for white or black on red. But if you really wanna ball out I think the white interior is really kick ass as well.. but you can only imagine how hard that is to keep clean. Had a 7 series before with white interior. Jesus.. it was horrid. Lol
      06-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #21
3Series
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:

For the F30, I THINK saddle brown was only an option with the Luxury Line. So if you want M Sport, you won't find Saddle Brown.
Appreciate 1