BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Problems with the tailgate closing

06-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
spiderman1982
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550x Drive

Problems with the tailgate closing

Our 2017 X1 has a rear tailgate that closes when you don't want it to. You can walk by the left rear quarter panel and the tailgate will close. Also, when you are unloading groceries, the tailgate will sometimes close. This catches you off guard. Thankfully, there is a beep before it starts to close. The dealer reprogrammed the car, but it has already closed once on me unexpected. Also, the foot under the bumper only opens the tailgate 10% of the time. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

I have the same exact issue, first time i panicked and jumped in the trunk locking myself in...it's definitely an issue!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 02:59 AM   #3
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman1982 View Post
Our 2017 X1 has a rear tailgate that closes when you don't want it to. You can walk by the left rear quarter panel and the tailgate will close. Also, when you are unloading groceries, the tailgate will sometimes close. This catches you off guard. Thankfully, there is a beep before it starts to close. The dealer reprogrammed the car, but it has already closed once on me unexpected. Also, the foot under the bumper only opens the tailgate 10% of the time. Any suggestions?
I can't answer to the point about the random closing. For the foot under bumper closing I struggled when I first bought the car but after reading the manual, I get it to open 100% of the time.

->
Standing looking at the tailgate, slowly move your foot in a front to back motion as if kicking a ball so your foot goes under the bumper and back out again.
->

The salesman was useless when he demoed it to me when we collected the car, as he was swiping left to right and wiggling his foot to try make it work without much success (not very gracious!).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #4
TSiSPY007
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 335i xDrive;16 X1;96 4G63T

We have the exact same issue! Our service manager said they "reprogrammed" it as well...and it still does it. It's hit my wife and my mom in the head before!

They said it wasn't a known issue...Such BS, right??!

The same visit, I asked why the lights are always on "Auto" when I want them (and thus have set them) on the "Off" position, and he said that "Off" is now the same as "Auto" for the Canadian 2016 X1's...I told them I prefer to have control over the lights and he said it cannot be done...more BS??

Fred
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #5
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Lights are same here in the UK, always on auto, even in the off position. Think the only thing it turns off is the auto cornering function if in the off position.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

It's a legal requirement in the UK and EU for all cars manufactured after 2011 to have an auto DRL. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...running-lights

And in Canada since 1989: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...afety-1158.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

These are the main lights though, not the DRL's.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
Stockwell
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS, Golf GTI

Hi, I also have the same issue "sudden close of tail gate". I end up Ecode to kill the "Smart Close" function, and YES, I keep the "Smart Open" as it is a Good feature !

BDC_BODY: VAM_ENABLE_SMART_CLOSE

Big Thanks to Almaretto for the tip !
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
+1 on that happening, I think it's happened to me once and it did scared the begeezus out of me...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #10
-Picard-
Admiral
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i, F48 X1 25i MSport

Garage List
'Autonomous' closing rear tailgate

+1 on the 'autonomous' self-closing concern - nearly caught one of my children helping unload the grocery shopping out of the boot/trunk. At least it gave a warning(!) and they were able to duck out of harm's way.

I agree with self-opening on an approach but the self-close presents potential for problems. It should be made an option in the iDrive or programmed/coded out. Could this be done on Carly anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #11
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I don't even like the auto opening as I will often have a hitch mounted bike rack there. I will ask the dealer to disable it if they can. I could probably live without the whole comfort access if I have to.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
ForkLiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
I don't even like the auto opening as I will often have a hitch mounted bike rack there. I will ask the dealer to disable it if they can. I could probably live without the whole comfort access if I have to.
If they can, let us know. I don't think they can help you but it would be fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #13
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkLiter View Post
If they can, let us know. I don't think they can help you but it would be fantastic.
I should be getting the car in about three weeks. If they won't do it, I'll do it myself with e-sys.
I didn't really care for the whole comfort access but it was included in the package I had to get to have the sport seats.

Now that I think about it I'm going to have to get e-sys anyway if I want to disable the stupid automatic start/stop.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #14
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Good news - the auto start/stop remembers the last position so it's just one button push and it's off for good.

I'm too lazy to mess with e-sys so I just unplugged the liftgate sensor in the rear bumper. No error messages, all other ways of opening the tailgate still work just the kick under the bumper is disabled.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #15
o_m_r
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive28i (SULEV Br)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hurng View Post
I have the same exact issue, first time i panicked and jumped in the trunk locking myself in...it's definitely an issue!

Sorry, that's hilarious though, since no-one was hurt...

We have the same tailgate issue/s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiSPY007
They said it wasn't a known issue...Such BS, right??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrashton
Standing looking at the tailgate, slowly move your foot in a front to back motion as if kicking a ball so your foot goes under the bumper and back out again.
Despite those being the instructions, we only get it to open with a very quick kick motion vs slow...

...but in contrast, I'm perceiving that the "random" closing is happening when we stand very close, i.e. while reaching in/adjusting inside, so our foot or feet are under the bumper, thus sensor, and the sensor must see any movement of the foot, slow or fast in this case, as though we're attempting to "kick to close.."

We're now having an issue with only the front panel of the moonroof raising to vent instead of both opening simultaneously as intended. Perhaps a "reset" as mentioned by others is necessary...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #16
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

Thought I'd pass along a possible fix for us folks in the US. Maybe something will be forthcoming for anyone else having this problem:
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #17
BCpilot7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1

Exclamation Software Fix Available for Hatchback Sensor

I complained to my BMW dealer about my X1 hatchback opening and closing when I didn't want it to. I wanted them to deactivate the foot sensor. It took two trips and they had to call Germany and talk to the engineers; but they were able to reprogram the computer and deactivate the foot sensor and leave all other systems operating normally. So now there is a fix to deactivate the sensor. BMW of Tucson was able to deactivate this function. Your dealer should be able to deactivate it now

Happy X1 owner, Brian
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #18
rrayburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Love my 2017 330iX Sport Wagon but that tailgate opens and closes with a mind of its own. I had it triggered by my garage door opening a couple weeks ago, then it jammed in the garage door and caused a dent along the bottom edge. I had previously complained to the dealer and they said that they found nothing wrong with it. They had it for nearly a week. They said to bring it back in if it acts up again. So now I am going to take it in, show them the dent, make them fix the dent, and then tell them they need to deactivate the foot sensor. I have 2 retired racing dogs that ride with me in the car on trips and to the park often. I have had to make a harness to prevent the door from opening unexpectedly allowing them to get out...happened one time at the gas station. Just try to catch a greyhound when they take off. I have had it hit me in the head and draw blood before I learned to duck when I hear the beep. this is the only complaint I have about this car, otherwise what a great car...M-Sport, Track handling Package...NICE!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #19
Tace
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25d xdrive

I have the same issue whit the rear tailgate close unexpected on mine 2018 X1 25d The dealer reprogrammed the car but it stil close unexpected. The dealer dont belive in me any more and say they will charge me if they cant find anything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
Eziv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tace View Post
I have the same issue whit the rear tailgate close unexpected on mine 2018 X1 25d The dealer reprogrammed the car but it stil close unexpected. The dealer dont belive in me any more and say they will charge me if they cant find anything wrong.
That sucks when dealers refuse to believe their customers.

But to all of you I have a sub-optimal “solution” to this problem. You can always drop the key on the front seat and then the boot will neither auto- open or close.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:54 AM   #21
ChilledOut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 S18 D Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tace View Post
I was told by the dealer to ring BMW Assist and they would come to check it out. The first time they came they reset it - no change- it kept opening & closing randomly.
Then it hit me on the head again and they came out second time. The mechanic suggested it went to the dealership for them to inspect it.... then, as he was getting ready to put the lighting bar on the tailgate (he was towing it to the dealership) he walked past the rear wing and it closed on top of him! Perfect! He took it in and explained what had happened, so the dealership can’t say they don’t believe me!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #22
stylesx
Rep
Drives: BMW 330ci E46

This is what it did to my wife's arm when the trunk accidentally closed on her and she tried to stop it with with her arm because the dog was not fully inside yet. The trunk should be a lot more sensitive when it encounters an obstruction and re-open.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0