THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Automatic Driving Modes

06-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

Automatic Driving Modes

Hey all, ive tried searching but couldnt find my answer;

there are so many modes, eco, comfort, sport, sport +, then switching it to manual and then sport or sport + from there, then ive heard of people adjusting the profiles in each but keeping it in comfort or sport..

is there a general best setting to use? i find sport + too aggressive for regular driving while sport is pretty good for the most part. just wanted to see what yall were running.

Thanks!

John
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      06-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
I drive in comfort 99% of the time. Sometimes I switch the transmission into sport. If I've going to drive like a hooligan I'll move it to Sport. I don't think I've ever used Sport+, I'm afraid I'll end up putting it into a ditch.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9GunSlinger View Post

there are so many modes, eco, comfort, sport, sport +, then switching it to manual and then sport or sport + from there, then ive heard of people adjusting the profiles in each but keeping it in comfort or sport..

is there a general best setting to use? i find sport + too aggressive for regular driving while sport is pretty good for the most part. just wanted to see what yall were running.

Thanks!

John
I also drive in Comfort mode 90% of the time. Sport is more agressive but also safe.

Sport+ in my opinion should be used only in dry conditions and when you're already used to the car, it's power, it's weight, etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

Thanks!

John

Sport is same as Sport+ but + also has DTC ON which relaxes the DSC intervention....

You can only configure Sport mode to be: 1 drivetrain only - 2 chasis only - 3 both...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

90% of the time I am in the sport mode profile with the transmission in regular mode. I did modify the sport mode to disable the suspension stiffness.

ITS RANT TIME!

In the Dallas area the roads are total sh*t so the last thing needed is more chassis stiffness, ever. It is my opinion that the suspension's two modes should be renamed to 'extreme' and 'extremely violent' as there is no such thing as 'comfort' mode in the 240's suspension.

I am also not too happy with the sport modes in the profile or the transmission with how long the car holds on to the gears. I want quick banging shifts without the engine holding at 5-6000rpms after I come off a stop with some quickness... it's stupid. I find myself very often yelling SHIFT *** DAMN IT when I am in sport/sport mode.

I do like the shift RPM timing in comfort mode but they are just slow sloppy shifts the way a comfort mode should be. What I wish I had was the RPM shift profile of comfort mode with much harder shifting of the transmission when it's in sport mode.

I am hoping one of these days the ECU is cracked and we can get some end user flash tuning (MHD or Cobb) and put a little customization in these modes. I was hoping the Dinan Elite would possibly provide a mechanism to make some changes but when I brought it up in the Dinan Elite thread I was pounced on for wanting to change perfection so I don't think that will be an option sadly.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree View Post
90% of the time I am in the sport mode profile with the transmission in regular mode. I did modify the sport mode to disable the suspension stiffness.

ITS RANT TIME!

In the Dallas area the roads are total sh*t so the last thing needed is more chassis stiffness, ever. It is my opinion that the suspension's two modes should be renamed to 'extreme' and 'extremely violent' as there is no such thing as 'comfort' mode in the 240's suspension.

I am also not too happy with the sport modes in the profile or the transmission with how long the car holds on to the gears. I want quick banging shifts without the engine holding at 5-6000rpms after I come off a stop with some quickness... it's stupid. I find myself very often yelling SHIFT *** DAMN IT when I am in sport/sport mode.

I do like the shift RPM timing in comfort mode but they are just slow sloppy shifts the way a comfort mode should be. What I wish I had was the RPM shift profile of comfort mode with much harder shifting of the transmission when it's in sport mode.

I am hoping one of these days the ECU is cracked and we can get some end user flash tuning (MHD or Cobb) and put a little customization in these modes. I was hoping the Dinan Elite would possibly provide a mechanism to make some changes but when I brought it up in the Dinan Elite thread I was pounced on for wanting to change perfection so I don't think that will be an option sadly.
Am I the only one that drives in sport/sport+ mode all the time?
Appreciate 1
SCCThree808.50
      06-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

this has been covered about 60 times...

I always drive with stick to the left in manual mode.

ECO: running out of gas mode
Comfort: Girlfriend in car mode
Sport: Rain mode
Sport +: Normal daily driving mode
DSC OFF: Track or empty parking lot hoon mode (if your a beginner on track, use comfort at first, its smoother and work up to sport than sport +)
DTC: Stuck in snow mode
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 4
AlexM240i101.50
Saffa_G24.50
WolfGTI688.50
      06-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
this has been covered about 60 times...

I always drive with stick to the left in manual mode.

ECO: running out of gas mode
Comfort: Girlfriend in car mode
Sport: Rain mode
Sport +: Normal daily driving mode
DSC OFF: Track or empty parking lot hoon mode (if your a beginner on track, use comfort at first, its smoother and work up to sport than sport +)
DTC: Stuck in snow mode
Great explanation.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

look at the nice table in this post and it will answer all questions

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtop...dce909d2b5c1c9
Appreciate 2
SCCThree808.50
cxp213313.00
      06-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:

Thanks!

John
Hey John,

I keep my set-up simple. Usually drive in "Comfort" & shifter set to "D" around town. Car w/ a Stage 1 Dinan is very quick in this mode. Doesn't bang the gears or hold higher RPM's like "Sport and "D/S", but car has lots of pep. As far as actual "get up and go", performance not too much different than when the car was "Stock" and set to sport mode. The Dinan Stage 1 tune really has transformed the car for me.

When I have the urge to get really "jiggy", I put the car in "Sport", and the shifter to "D/S". The Sport + really doesn't add anymore more "Umph", so I never use it.

Before the Dinan tune, basically used the car the same way (or maybe a bit more in sport than comfort).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #11
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Hey John,

I keep my set-up simple. Usually drive in "Comfort" & shifter set to "D" around town. Car w/ a Stage 1 Dinan is very quick in this mode. Doesn't bang the gears or hold higher RPM's like "Sport and "D/S", but car has lots of pep. As far as actual "get up and go", performance not too much different than when the car was "Stock" and set to sport mode. The Dinan Stage 1 tune really has transformed the car for me.

When I have the urge to get really "jiggy", I put the car in "Sport", and the shifter to "D/S". The Sport + really doesn't add anymore more "Umph", so I never use it.

Before the Dinan tune, basically used the car the same way (or maybe a bit more in sport than comfort).
Hope that the Dinan Sport (still need to be installed - never find the time) has the same effect for me than the Elite had for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:48 AM   #12
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey John,

Awesome, and are you on stock wheels/tires and suspension? I was thinking of going this route. would you mind sharing how much everything came out to? 1399 for the unit and prolly 100-200 for install?

really debating on going this route..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #13
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, and are you on stock wheels/tires and suspension? I was thinking of going this route. would you mind sharing how much everything came out to? 1399 for the unit and prolly 100-200 for install?

really debating on going this route..

My out the door price was something like $1615 or there abouts. Dealership charges $154 labor (1 hour) and some shop fee BS and taxes.

Yeah, I know guys will say, you can do it yourself for less, and it doesn't take an hour. Or go with a Burger or Dinan Sport......yada yada

So my car was in the bay for over an hour w/ the tech doing the install. He tucked everything away so the install is very clean. I have the peace of mind knowing that should I have an issue, I can bring it to my dealership for them to troubleshoot as they sold the kit and did the install. I also have the piggyback Dinan Warranty for the full length of the BMW warranty.

Figures out to be about a $1 a day over the 4 years for a tune that transformed car.

Additionally, the hesitation many complain about when starting off from a dead stop is now gone.

I'm getting avg 26.X MPG in mixed driving w/ the tune. Admittedly, I don't have the "lead foot" I had as a kid, but I still do "test" the tune each time I take the car out.

Coming out of a 2015 C7 to the M240i, I can say, I do not see a huge performance gap between the two cars. Last time out I got on the M240i entering an on ramp to the interstate and my wife commented that the car felt just like the Corvette (she was scared).

Car is otherwise stock, All Season RF tires too.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #14
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My out the door price was something like $1615 or there abouts. Dealership charges $154 labor (1 hour) and some shop fee BS and taxes.

Yeah, I know guys will say, you can do it yourself for less, and it doesn't take an hour. Or go with a Burger or Dinan Sport......yada yada

So my car was in the bay for over an hour w/ the tech doing the install. He tucked everything away so the install is very clean. I have the peace of mind knowing that should I have an issue, I can bring it to my dealership for them to troubleshoot as they sold the kit and did the install. I also have the piggyback Dinan Warranty for the full length of the BMW warranty.

Figures out to be about a $1 a day over the 4 years for a tune that transformed car.

Additionally, the hesitation many complain about when starting off from a dead stop is now gone.

I'm getting avg 26.X MPG in mixed driving w/ the tune. Admittedly, I don't have the "lead foot" I had as a kid, but I still do "test" the tune each time I take the car out.

Coming out of a 2015 C7 to the M240i, I can say, I do not see a huge performance gap between the two cars. Last time out I got on the M240i entering an on ramp to the interstate and my wife commented that the car felt just like the Corvette (she was scared).

Car is otherwise stock, All Season RF tires too.
awesome! so stock everything?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #15
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
awesome! so stock everything?
Yep, completely stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #16
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep, completely stock.
great, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #17
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Im in sport+ like 99% of the time with the trans in the manual shift mode and im happy with it
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 12:33 AM   #18
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
Im in sport+ like 99% of the time with the trans in the manual shift mode and im happy with it
Manual mode is when the shifter is to the left of the original position correct? What's the different between that and when you use the paddle shifters in the standard position?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 12:35 AM   #19
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
Manual mode is when the shifter is to the left of the original position correct? What's the different between that and when you use the paddle shifters in the standard position?
Yea the paddled r manual mode
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 12:43 AM   #20
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Manual mode is when you put the shifter to the left and either hit a paddle or hit the shifter up or down...

and the display on the cluster will show M1-M2-M3 etc instead of S1-S2-S3

if you use the paddle shifter in D it will momentarily go to M after 30 secs or so of normal driving it will go back to D

if you use the paddle shifter in S it will switch to M and stay there till you turn off the car or till you move the shifter back to D
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #21
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Taking the paddle shifters out of the equation, when you move the shift lever to the left (D/S mode), the car's shift points change. So when is you are rolling along in "D", and move the shifter to the left, you'll instantly feel the car grab a lower gear and w/ the elevated RPMs, become much more responsive to any throttle input. Additionally, it will stay in lower gears longer as the car accelerates. On deceleration, the car will grab lower gears quicker also, allowing for more engine braking. All this happen automatically w/o ever touching the paddles. I find that feeling reminiscent of a car being driven w/ a manual transmission (although it all happens automatically)

If you choose t use the paddles w/ the shifter in the D/S position, you may find that you'll be be adjusting the manual shift points to compensate for the more aggressive automatic shift points in D/S.

Honestly, if you live in a relatively flat area (no hills or mountains when engine braking is used), playing w/ the paddles is more of a novelty than a performance enhancement IMO. I've not heard of anyone turning better times using the paddles than allowing the transmission to do the work instead.

I personally do not feel the need to ever use the paddles when I switch to D/S (or "D" for that matter). The ZF in sport and D/S does a far better job than I could hope to manually in making the car go fast and respond aggressively to throttle input. When I'm in "D", I'm also in Comfort mode and only want to enjoy, my music, AC, gas economy, and the compliant ride the car offers.

Not saying you shouldn't use the paddles if you choose. They are there and intended for use. For someone that wants to feel like they are operating a car w/ a manual transmission, they do provide a similar connection.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

You can only configure Sport mode to be: 1 drivetrain only - 2 chasis only - 3 both...
I'm looking for somebody to confirm whether this is true on a 228 with no extras (no track handling, m-sport, etc). I just had my car in and they 'reprogrammed it' or 'checked the computer program' and I noticed that the option to change this on the menu is black, not selectable. I can remember setting this long ago, but not sure if it was on the car I test drove, or my own (several features that I worked with on dealer cars but did not order, so this might be one?) . Not something I ever messed around with, so I can't be sure if I'm crazy (and it was never adjustable on mine) or if they somehow botched something with the reflash. Anybody who can comment?
Appreciate 0