E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Comfort Access woes

05-31-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Comfort Access woes

Hello. First post, new owner.

2008 328XIT

Has comfort access. None of it worked when I got the car Monday. Replaced all the fob batteries, still didn't work. Checked battery and it looked factory 90ah and registered 12.3V at rest.
Replaced battery with a new 110ah Duracell(East Penn). Just coded the CAS with new battery info and registered it with tools32.
Now one fob works and the other doesn't. Non functioning fob buttons work and it will start the car if you insert into dash.
I read that I hold the non functioning one up to the dash and start the car and it's supposed to learn, but it doesn't.

So I'm either doing it wrong or I'm missing a step.
suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Could be the second fob was a replacement and the previous owner never had it programmed to enable CA functions.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Could be the second fob was a replacement and the previous owner never had it programmed to enable CA functions.
this is very possible.

Fob looks brand new. no wear marks.
I forgot to mention that.
Fob that works looks well used.

Can I program this in inpa or with tools32?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
Checked battery and it looked factory 90ah and registered 12.3V at rest.
Replaced battery with a new 110ah Duracell(East Penn). Just coded the CAS with new battery info and registered it with tools32.
Now one fob works and the other doesn't. Non functioning fob buttons work and it will start the car if you insert into dash.
I read that I hold the non functioning one up to the dash and start the car and it's supposed to learn, but it doesn't.

suggestions?
CA fob function is independent of radio transmitter FOB button control...it is separately enabled.
The CAS allows only TWO CA fobs to be active it its programming.
Did your second CA fob ever work correctly...and now it is not functioning for CA?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
Hello. First post, new owner.

2008 328XIT

Has comfort access. None of it worked when I got the car Monday. Replaced all the fob batteries, still didn't work. Checked battery and it looked factory 90ah and registered 12.3V at rest.

suggestions?
You might not be missing anything just have broken wire loom between your hatch and body.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15902250
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
CA fob function is independent of radio transmitter FOB button control...it is separately enabled.
The CAS allows only TWO CA fobs to be active it its programming.
Did your second CA fob ever work correctly...and now it is not functioning for CA?
It hasn't worked since I got the car, all of 4 days ago.

To recap.
Both fobs did not work.
Replaced car battery because it was going to sleep and was original 2007 BMW battery.
One fob (well used) works with CA.
One fob (looks brand new) does not.

At this point I assume it is a replacement fob and was not coded.
Car was purchased at a local used car lot, not BMW or CPO. Came from auction. At some point it's possible that someone got another fob for it.
I'll have to look up how I code a new CA key in the CAS module.

I don't think it's a physical issue, because everything else works and the old fob works flawlessly now that the car isn't shutting things off because of battery voltage.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Comfort Access will only work with 2 fobs. The 2 fobs that it will work with, are the 2 (enabled) comfort access fobs with the lowest key number. If the fob that you have is a comfort access fob, and it's not working with comfort access, it's most likely that there is another CA fob that is defined to the system, with a lower key number. If you disable any CA fobs that you do not have, then the one you do have should start working with CA.

Take a look at this post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...88&postcount=4

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Comfort Access will only work with 2 fobs. The 2 fobs that it will work with, are the 2 (enabled) comfort access fobs with the lowest key number. If the fob that you have is a comfort access fob, and it's not working with comfort access, it's most likely that there is another CA fob that is defined to the system, with a lower key number. If you disable any CA fobs that you do not have, then the one you do have should start working with CA.

Take a look at this post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...88&postcount=4
you sir, are the man

this looks like exactly what needs to be done.
Appreciate 0