F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Found an oil leak
Studio RSR

05-31-2017, 03:02 AM   #1
j.badwal
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Found an oil leak

I was looking under my car today just cause my warranty is about to run out next week to check for any issues and I found this oil leak. I dont know what that part is called where it's leaking from. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I already scheduled an appointment with BMW. Sorry for the blurry pics had to lower the resolution to upload them on here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Somewhat hard to tell because you don't mention where your are in relation to front, back, middle of the car...

But that black pan with fins looks like your transmission oil pan. If that's the case, then you are leaking transmission fluid and this should be serviced immediately. Have the transmission inspected as well to make sure nothing was damaged.

Take your pics to BMW since you are in warranty and don't drive it if possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
j.badwal
Private
Rep

All the pics are taken directly under the oil pan facing the rear of the car.

I feel like it's been there a while cause the oil is pretty much dry with all the dust and debris on it, so maybe residual oil from a previous oil change? I'm not sure, but I do have an appointment with BMW on Monday.

I have to drive it to work for the next 4 days but I put it in map 0 and won't be on the throttle much
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.badwal View Post
All the pics are taken directly under the oil pan facing the rear of the car.

I feel like it's been there a while cause the oil is pretty much dry with all the dust and debris on it, so maybe residual oil from a previous oil change? I'm not sure, but I do have an appointment with BMW on Monday.

I have to drive it to work for the next 4 days but I put it in map 0 and won't be on the throttle much
Based on this additional info, this is where the transmission mates to the engine. The major problem here is that those seals should not have leaked in the first place. If you haven't had transmission or engine work done, those seals should not have been touched.

You can't go by condition of the leaked oil, that part of the car gets very hot under operation and can cook the oil and dry it out. Most likely it's only going to leak when the system is under pressure, which is why you don't see oil leaking when you took the pics.

Looking at the pics again, I do see some staining on the oil pan where oil did leak, but I find it hard to believe that it would have travelled up the mating surface to the bolts and then caked around the bolt seat like that, unless you park uphill.

Definitely take it easy till your appointment - stop driving immediately if you notice strange behavior from the tranny.

Last edited by madmonkey; 06-01-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

It's very disappointing when a leak happens. If the engine / transmission seal is the suspect, I suggest to call BMW and have the car towed on a flat bed truck to avoid causing potentially more damage.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
j.badwal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
It's very disappointing when a leak happens. If the engine / transmission seal is the suspect, I suggest to call BMW and have the car towed on a flat bed truck to avoid causing potentially more damage.
I took it in to BMW and it turned out to be the transmission seals. Coverage d under warranty. Luckily checked everywhere for any problems couple days before it expired. I'll post a pic of the service form I got tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Good that you caught this before the warranty ran out. This kind of service can get expensive. Pay close attention to your transmission's performance and report any abnormalities to your dealership. Make sure if there are any issues that they get logged in your service record so that in the case of failure, you have a history track they can look at.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
Good that you caught this before the warranty ran out. This kind of service can get expensive. Pay close attention to your transmission's performance and report any abnormalities to your dealership. Make sure if there are any issues that they get logged in your service record so that in the case of failure, you have a history track they can look at.
Very sound advice to closely observe transmission behavior during the next few thousand miles. Glad that you detected the problem early.
Appreciate 0