THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Throttle lag

05-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
captain underpants
Rep
Drives: BMW

Throttle lag

Hiya All,

I have an automatic M240i and am generally happy with it but have noticed resently that from a stop position there is a slight delay when pressing the accelerator and moving off. I find that it's more noticeable driving in eco and normal mode. In sport or sport + it isn't as bad but it's still there. Also when driving and at constant speed and I need to step down on accelerating the delay is there.

I googled this and on bimmerfest there are posts about "tip-in" back in 2011 about 5 series owner experiencing the same thing.

-Has anyone else with a 2 series experienced this?

-Is this a "characteristic" of the brand?

-if this is an issue, has anyone in the U.K. been successful in getting this rectified?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
cdn240cab
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain underpants
Hiya All,

I have an automatic M240i and am generally happy with it but have noticed resently that from a stop position there is a slight delay when pressing the accelerator and moving off. I find that it's more noticeable driving in eco and normal mode. In sport or sport + it isn't as bad but it's still there. Also when driving and at constant speed and I need to step down on accelerating the delay is there.

I googled this and on bimmerfest there are posts about "tip-in" back in 2011 about 5 series owner experiencing the same thing.

-if this is an issue, has anyone in the U.K. been successful in getting this rectified?

Thanks
Yes, mine does the same thing. From what I understand the Dinan tune gets rid of the delay.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      05-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #3
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain underpants View Post
Hiya All,

Thanks
As you move through the driving modes from Eco to Sport+ the throttle response is programmed to be progressively more responsive. If you want the sharpest throttle response leave it in Sport or Sport+. In Comfort and especially Eco modes the throttle appears more laggy in order to provide better fuel economy, although from the line I don't think Comfort is really that bad, it's more at low RPMs when the xmsn is hunting for a gear and you bog the engine briefly as it sorts things out. The Dinan tune does sharpen things up in Comfort and up.
2017 Audi Q5

Last edited by RotorOver; 05-21-2017 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

It's been an issue in both N55 auto xdrives I've had; X3 and current M235i. Didn't have this issue with the N54 135i which was also auto but RWD. It's annoying and for me most noticeable coming to a rolling stop and then taking off or when cruising around 35 and changing lanes and trying to quickly accelerate there is a noticeable pause which is almost dangerous. I always drive in sport throttle setting. Hate that it's still an issue with the M240. Also appears to be same issues with S3 and MB GLA45, so not sure what's going on.
      05-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Hiya All,

Thanks
I have a 16' M235i xDrive, comfort mode does have a laggy throttle. I never drive in Eco Pro but I would imagine it's the same or worse. I tend to drive in Sport+ in the city and Comfort mode on the highway so it's much less noticeable.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
captain underpants
Rep

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to hear it's not just my 2 series then. I can probably live with it and I mostly mix my drive settings anyway but this would Definately put me off getting another BMW. Does the M2 have this issue too I wonder.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
captain underpants
Rep

Does the manual gearbox M240i suffer from this too?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Does the manual gearbox M240i suffer from this too?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 12:35 AM   #9
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Has anyone experienced this lag with JB4?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to hear it's not just my 2 series then. I can probably live with it and I mostly mix my drive settings anyway but this would Definately put me off getting another BMW. Does the M2 have this issue too I wonder.
My M240i did the same thing. Especially noticeable in Comfort (did not drive the car in Eco, but imagine it was there also). Had the Dinan Stage 1 installed and it's much improved.

Thinking it's the electronic throttle (drive by wire) on the car that account for the slight hesitation we feel. 2015 Mini Cooper (BMW lite) displays the same behavior. I asked a similar question on that forum initially too. I traded in a Hyundai Santa Fe for the Mini and didn't seem to have that hesitation. Was told that it's just the way it is. I'm accustom to it so I don't pay much attention anymore.

Perhaps it's just the way BMW's are engineered. Have not spent time in other German car to see if they display the same behavior.

Since having the Stage 1 installed, I have noticed a marked improvement. Likely because Dinan tune changed the throttle mapping.

There are plenty of articles talking about electronic throttles vs. cabled.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-throttle.html

https://www.carid.com/articles/why-s...ontroller.html
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
My M240i did the same thing. Especially noticeable in Comfort (did not drive the car in Eco, but imagine it was there also). Had the Dinan Stage 1 installed and it's much improved.

Since having the Stage 1 installed, I have noticed a marked improvement. Likely because Dinan tune changed the throttle mapping.

https://www.carid.com/articles/why-s...ontroller.html
No, the Dinan tune does nothing with the throttle mapping as it simply ups the boost a fixed amount across the RPM range using a piggyback which has zero control over the throttle or hesitation. I have a piggyback and while it feels quicker, it still has hesitation issues. This was the case with JB stage 1, AA8 and RaceChip ultimate all with the same 8 speed tranny and N55 engine. Had no issues with the N54 and proper flash tune through Cobb. It's annoying.
      05-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #12
captain underpants
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post

There are plenty of articles talking about electronic throttles vs. cabled.

Interesting read!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #13
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
No, the Dinan tune does nothing with the throttle mapping as it simply ups the boost a fixed amount across the RPM range using a piggyback which has zero control over the throttle or hesitation. I have a piggyback and while it feels quicker, it still has hesitation issues. This was the case with JB stage 1, AA8 and RaceChip ultimate all with the same 8 speed tranny and N55 engine. Had no issues with the N54 and proper flash tune through Cobb. It's annoying.
Do you have the Sport or Elite? I have the Elite and I noticed a difference as soon as I drove my car after the install (in Comfort). When I put the car into "drive" to pull away, The normal "hesitation or stumble" was gone (or at least it appeared to be) in comparison to what I had noticed before the tune. Stopped to pull into traffic and again, I didn't notice the hesitation. There was a marked improvement over stock. However, since having the car for a while with the tune and becoming accustom to the improvements the tune provides, I do notice a very slight hesitation on start up (comfort). Nothing like it was, but noticeable.

I do believe the Dinan Elite does more than just "up the boost", or at least that's what they advertise the Elite doing over the Dinan Sport or other sub $500 piggybacks.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357282

If I had to evaluate the difference I have personally noticed in my car...the amount of lag I experienced when in sport (pre-tune) is now what I notice in Comfort w/ the Dinan Elite tune (just a very slight hesitation), but nothing like it was prior to the Elite install. I was pleasantly surprised to see this improvement since I normally drive the car in Comfort anyway around town. When I now put the car into Sport the lag is virtually gone...or at least I don't notice it.

I have not tried any other tunes on this car, just the $1399 Dinan Elite which my BMW dealer installed. I have seen improvement in my car as far as overall performance (extremely fast) and as stated above, normal operation has improved also.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #14
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Coming back to amend the above post. Spent the day in the M240i and did lots of start and stop in "comfort" driving. I can report that I have zero lag at all in Comfort.

I was conceding that there might be some, but after refreshing my memory w/ that very thought in mind today, I can say the Dinan Stage 1 eliminates the lag that I had noticed prior to the install

From a dead stop, applying pressure to the gas pedal results as smooth a take off as any car I have ever owned. No hesitation, lag, stumble, zero, zilch, nada.

That being said, if I do the "California pause" Not coming to a complete stop and the accelerating, I do notice some hesitation. But from a dead stop. no hesitation at all.

Last edited by USA-RET; 06-12-2017 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #15
captain underpants
Rep

I am going to see if I can live with this issue and if not I'll have to research what I can get done here in the U.K. And way up the cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 04:21 AM   #16
Troppo
Keyboard warrior
Rep
Drives: X3.

My turbo diesel X3 has more grunt off the bottom than my M240. Once the 240 gets going, it is game over though...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #17
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I've test driven the M235i and M240i, there is a little bit of lag but I was impressed that it wasn't worse. It's about the best throttle response I've experienced from a Turbo. I'd guess the 4 banger turbo is horrible, the X1 has some serious lag, very unsatisfying. VW and Audi 4 turbos, disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #18
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Not exactly apples to apples, but I've driven a M235i with the ZF8 and my own M240i with the 6-speed manual, and the lag felt more pronounced with the auto box. Or maybe the B58 is just that much better at reducing lag.

It's really next to nothing. If you want to experience real old-school lag, drive a Porsche 944 Turbo for a bit!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #19
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Had it happen again this week. Stopped at a red light, slight decline, light turned green, applied moderate peddle pressure, car moved a couple inches, pause, and then off like normal. I'd call my issue throttle pause, and it happens every now and again from a dead stop, a rolling stop and go, and then switching lanes and trying to accelerate simultaneously. I don't think it has anything to do with turbo spooling, or the throttle at all, i believe it's traction/stability system or something. Yet, I've turned all that crap off and it still persists. It could be something to do with AWD vs RWD too. Same exact issues with AWD N55 X3 prior. Annoying.
      06-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #20
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
Not exactly apples to apples, but I've driven a M235i with the ZF8 and my own M240i with the 6-speed manual, and the lag felt more pronounced with the auto box. Or maybe the B58 is just that much better at reducing lag.

It's really next to nothing. If you want to experience real old-school lag, drive a Porsche 944 Turbo for a bit!!
Saab 900 Turbo was the same.
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #21
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Had it happen again this week. Stopped at a red light, slight decline, light turned green, applied moderate peddle pressure, car moved a couple inches, pause, and then off like normal. I'd call my issue throttle pause, and it happens every now and again from a dead stop, a rolling stop and go, and then switching lanes and trying to accelerate simultaneously. I don't think it has anything to do with turbo spooling, or the throttle at all, i believe it's traction/stability system or something. Yet, I've turned all that crap off and it still persists. It could be something to do with AWD vs RWD too. Same exact issues with AWD N55 X3 prior. Annoying.
It's the electronic throttle. The nature of the beast.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Elec...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #22
ianp622
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

It's also partly the transmission adaptation. If you drive it more aggressively, you'll notice less lag in the coming days. If you go on a lot of gentle highway drives, it will start to be a little more conservative in the power output.
Appreciate 0