F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > 6MT xDrive launching?
ARMA SPEED

05-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

6MT xDrive launching?

Planning to head to the drag strip this week to see how the car does, and see if I can figure out how to launch it smoothly. Haven't played with it a lot, since a 340i w/ MPPSK has way more power than I need to use anywhere on public roads, but the few empty parking lot launches I've attempted have not been terribly good.

I'm also probably a bit hesitant as this is my first heavy, AWD manual car, so I'm worried about damaging something with too rough a launch, even though I probably shouldn't be since it's a full OE-spec full warranty config.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I say let 'er rip. The tune is pretty conservative although it sounds awesome!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I say let 'er rip. The tune is pretty conservative although it sounds awesome!
But does anyone have specific recommendations for RPM, technique, etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Hold traction button completely down so DSC and everything is disabled.

Avoid water box and drive around it.

Rev it up to 3k rpm and dump the clutch. I'd say thats the sweet spot. if you bog down, try 3.2-3.5k rpm. I am RWD and usually launch just below 3k and I've done all the way up to 4k. With all the torque i put down low (well over 400 torque at the wheels), i spin a lot... but around 3k is where I seem to hook up best. With you being xdrive ... you'll be launching outta the hole hard. I don't see any issues with a harder launch. BMW automatics have launch control and they are programed for like 3k-3.5k if i remember correctly. Good luck.

335i M Sport 6MT || PS2 Turbo, FBO, XDI-35 HPFP, BM3, KW, MP BBK, OEM+
INSTAGRAM || BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Does the manual not have LC? I've seen LC on manual cars before but not sure if it's the case with BMW's. The LC really doesn't give you the best launch anyway. The RPM's are too low and you can launch faster at a higher RPM especially with an X-Drive. It does warn that repeated launches can lead to accelerated wear. There may be a way to customize the launch RPM if you want to set it higher, I thought I saw a post on how to do this.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Does the manual not have LC? I've seen LC on manual cars before but not sure if it's the case with BMW's. The LC really doesn't give you the best launch anyway. The RPM's are too low and you can launch faster at a higher RPM especially with an X-Drive. It does warn that repeated launches can lead to accelerated wear. There may be a way to customize the launch RPM if you want to set it higher, I thought I saw a post on how to do this.
As far as I'm aware, F30 6MTs only had launch control with MPPK. While I do have MPPSK, I have not been able to find launch control following the old 6MT 335i MPPK instructions. Also, I never found anyone claiming to have LC on a 6MT 335i xDrive w/ MPPK (without JB4 or other solution), so I don't know if that has ever been a thing in BMWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
Hold traction button completely down so DSC and everything is disabled.

Avoid water box and drive around it.

Rev it up to 3k rpm and dump the clutch. I'd say thats the sweet spot. if you bog down, try 3.2-3.5k rpm. I am RWD and usually launch just below 3k and I've done all the way up to 4k. With all the torque i put down low (well over 400 torque at the wheels), i spin a lot... but around 3k is where I seem to hook up best. With you being xdrive ... you'll be launching outta the hole hard. I don't see any issues with a harder launch. BMW automatics have launch control and they are programed for like 3k-3.5k if i remember correctly. Good luck.
Even on snows, I bogged at that kind of RPM. Now that I'm on proper summers, I assume I'm going to have to rev higher and launch harder. I'm going to try and find somewhere to test some a bit before I actually go to the strip, so I can make the most of my time there. It's usually busy enough I'll probably only get 3-5 runs all night.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
JAhmed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Planning to head to the drag strip this week to see how the car does, and see if I can figure out how to launch it smoothly. Haven't played with it a lot, since a 340i w/ MPPSK has way more power than I need to use anywhere on public roads, but the few empty parking lot launches I've attempted have not been terribly good.

I'm also probably a bit hesitant as this is my first heavy, AWD manual car, so I'm worried about damaging something with too rough a launch, even though I probably shouldn't be since it's a full OE-spec full warranty config.
Which drag strip are you going to? Just wondering (Also in NE Ohio...)
      05-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAhmed View Post
Which drag strip are you going to? Just wondering (Also in NE Ohio...)
Summit Motorsports Park out in Norwalk. Wednesday night is their cheap bracket racing night.

As an aside, nice garage. Cayman GTS is what I kept trying to justify the price of as my daily.. lol. It seemed like the GTS is where the Caymans got enough power to justify the price tag and packaging compromises.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
JAhmed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Taycan

Quote:
Summit Motorsports Park out in Norwalk. Wednesday night is their cheap bracket racing night.

As an aside, nice garage. Cayman GTS is what I kept trying to justify the price of as my daily.. lol. It seemed like the GTS is where the Caymans got enough power to justify the price tag and packaging compromises.
-Nice...now that the weather has improved, I really should wander out to Norwalk and check it out...Maybe bring the 428 and see what it can do? Haha

-Thanks. I am fortunate to have the Cayman as a strictly weekend/autoX/track car, but you'd be surprised at the kind of utility it can have...I've put 2 carry-on suitcases standing up in the front trunk. The chassis can definitely handle more power, but it is plenty fast as it is...
      05-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #10
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAhmed View Post
-Nice...now that the weather has improved, I really should wander out to Norwalk and check it out...Maybe bring the 428 and see what it can do? Haha
Probably better than my previous car. Similar power, slightly more weight, better power delivery. And wheel spin was a big deal on that car. From what I hear, Summit has a better surface than Thompson or Dragway 42.. but I've never been to either of those.

Quote:
-Thanks. I am fortunate to have the Cayman as a strictly weekend/autoX/track car, but you'd be surprised at the kind of utility it can have...I've put 2 carry-on suitcases standing up in the front trunk. The chassis can definitely handle more power, but it is plenty fast as it is...
Yeah.. My assumption was I'll get a used BRZ as a track beater/weekend road trip car, but I was recently turned onto used Z4M coupes.. just gotta get a house with enough room for the third car first.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #11
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Even on snows, I bogged at that kind of RPM. Now that I'm on proper summers, I assume I'm going to have to rev higher and launch harder. I'm going to try and find somewhere to test some a bit before I actually go to the strip, so I can make the most of my time there. It's usually busy enough I'll probably only get 3-5 runs all night.
So, I must have had the radiator puncture already last time I tried this (no coolant running through the air/water intercooler has a detrimental effect on performance). Went down to an empty parking lot tonight and tried a couple launches. No bog, just smooth acceleration. The GF and I were both very pleased. It caught her off guard, apparently, lol.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what this car will do for me Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

So, I didn't have a great night, but a couple people are telling me I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

I couldn't get a single clean launch all night. I wanted to, but I was not willing to go 'all-in' with my new daily driver and clutch dump from 5k.

That being said, I did get fairly consistent pretty quickly.

7 runs, 3 13.5s, two 13.7s, a 13.8 and a 14.0. Generally got closer to 13.5 as the night went on. I got one run at 106 mph, but that was a horrid launch where I cooked the clutch a bit. Best ET and 60' are both below.

Appreciate 1
monkiboy533.50
      05-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

Not too bad.. cut that 60ft down a touch and you will be in the lower 13s. I know what you are saying about not wanting to break anything, I had the same feeling the first time I went to the track. I can tell you these cars aren't as fragile as you might think.
Appreciate 0