F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Breakdown cover - once BMW out of warranty
Extreme Powerhouse

05-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Breakdown cover - once BMW out of warranty

Nearly had my 328i for a year now and AUC warranty about to expire

I'll need some sort of breakdown insurance and probably going to Germany in the summer so European cover needed.

What's the best place to get cover ? AA, RAC, Green Flag ??

I've been with both the AA and RAC over the years and they all seem to lure you in with a good deal then massively hike the renewal.

Anyone got non-BMW cover ?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

My 3 year warranty and BMW breakdown cover has just expired. I renewed the warranty, but not the breakdown part.

Over 20 years of BMWs I have called BMW Emergency Service 5 times. On only one of those occasions have they sent out a BMW person. The other 4 were just some random local tow truck. So I figured that I might as well take any old cover.

I used comparethemarket to look at alternatives and ended up taking a Breakdown Assist policy (backed by Axa) with a £35 excess per callout, costing under £20.

I know that they won't be great, but then neither were BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I had to call out BMW Assist to a stuck EGR valve on a saturday afternoon.

Called them about 1pm. The tech arrived about 2pm. By 3pm, EGR valve changed and on my way.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

Called them about 1pm. The tech arrived about 2pm. By 3pm, EGR valve changed and on my way.
Now that's good service.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
My 3 year warranty and BMW breakdown cover has just expired. I renewed the warranty, but not the breakdown part.

Over 20 years of BMWs I have called BMW Emergency Service 5 times. On only one of those occasions have they sent out a BMW person. The other 4 were just some random local tow truck. So I figured that I might as well take any old cover.

I used comparethemarket to look at alternatives and ended up taking a Breakdown Assist policy (backed by Axa) with a £35 excess per callout, costing under £20.

I know that they won't be great, but then neither were BMW.
Anyone have any experience with Greenflag - £22 for their basic service or £38 which includes at home?

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited by andrew.webber; 05-11-2017 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Green Flag via Natwest. Pay £18 a month. Also covers all household electric appliances and our smart phones. With phones though excess is £60 and you get a grade A reconditioned phone. Breakdown cover is included. Catch is you need a Natwest account. No excess on breakdown call outs.

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 05-11-2017 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.webber View Post
Anyone have any experience with Greenflag - £22 for their basic service or £38 which includes at home?

Thanks
Andrew
I have used them twice in last ten years. When I lived in Warwickshire they partnered with some independent garages. We broke down in my Polo GTi and guy did the basics to see if he could get me back on road. Towed me home as garages closed late at night. Next day towed car to my mechanic. Up to 10 miles from home was their policy but he made an exception for 12. Helped him get on to ramp which was fun then jumped off the truck.

Other time the Audi S3 wouldn't start and a van emblazoned with green flag pulled up. He was more equipped. Had batteries... belts... fuses... I asked why it went private last time. He said when they are really busy they do that. Actually I was given the option first time. That they were going to be 2 hours and the local could arrive in 50 minutes. Cold winter night and snow... popped back in to Tesco got some Krispy Kremes, a blanket and sat tight...

Felt a bit paranoid leaving key in ignition but car was dead and my mechanic knew the guy anyway so it was fine.

Nothing negative to report

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 05-11-2017 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

Did you tell then you thought it was the valve or is this common they carry it?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:30 AM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
Did you tell then you thought it was the valve or is this common they carry it?
They diagnosed it directly from the diagnostics on the car through the Assist on the idrive.
And yes, they carry a few EGR valves with them all the time, so the tech said to me.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      05-12-2017, 02:46 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Don't forget to compare what you are getting. BMW's emergency service provides a hire car if recovered, plus the extensive European cover.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 03:07 AM   #11
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
I have used them twice in last ten years. When I lived in Warwickshire they partnered with some independent garages. We broke down in my Polo GTi and guy did the basics to see if he could get me back on road. Towed me home as garages closed late at night. Next day towed car to my mechanic. Up to 10 miles from home was their policy but he made an exception for 12. Helped him get on to ramp which was fun then jumped off the truck.

Other time the Audi S3 wouldn't start and a van emblazoned with green flag pulled up. He was more equipped. Had batteries... belts... fuses... I asked why it went private last time. He said when they are really busy they do that. Actually I was given the option first time. That they were going to be 2 hours and the local could arrive in 50 minutes. Cold winter night and snow... popped back in to Tesco got some Krispy Kremes, a blanket and sat tight...

Felt a bit paranoid leaving key in ignition but car was dead and my mechanic knew the guy anyway so it was fine.

Nothing negative to report
Thanks for that broken_gearbox - I actually have a couple of Nat West accounts so I will look into it.

Andrew
Appreciate 0