F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Well that didn't last long, goodbye I guess
proTUNING Freaks

05-11-2017, 04:04 AM   #1
TheFifthElement
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i F30

Well that didn't last long, goodbye I guess

Car change time, I've not been on here long (November), and probably contributed next to nothing (never my intention) but following on from this thread ..

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1325819

I've traded my car, for something old, and ridiculous and chavvy. I got a reasonable deal, lost 3K on the BMW and the car below is coming my way with a fair amount of cash into my bank account

Let's get the new one out of the way. It's an 07 Subaru STi, with the (chocolate) 2.5 engine. I am fully aware of all the possible issues and have a slush fund in the bank to forge the engine if needs be. At the moment it's standard. It's only done 53K and (in the pictures) looks to be in very good condition. I'm 45, in a professional desk job and wear a suit to work, so not a young loon, perfectly happy with the image of the Scoob and it will be staying (externally at least) standard

So, I guess the question, why am I changing a 335i, clearly a classy car, quick (with a JB+ and MPE, probably quicker than the Scooby when it's hooked up in 3rd) with a massive amount of kit, for a 10 year old, rattly, laggy, basic Scooby. One word - fun.

I am a serial car changer I will admit. I really enjoy the research, excitement and the chance to own a different car every 6 months or so, if I can afford to do so. As usual (like my S3 8V before) the 335 on paper is an ideal car for me.

It's practical with 4 doors, a big boot, it's beautifully built, sits well on the 19's and is a lovely thing to look at. The individual interior lifts it to something really special. The MPE made it sound a bit better (although, for me, it's WAY too quiet and the only way to enjoy it is in manual mode with the windows down and even then it's only for the wee burbles on the over run. I've never been that impressed (inside anyway) with the noise from the 6 cylinder, it's too refined or you're too insulated from the external noise.

It's ideal on long trips, stick in in D and enjoy the pace, comfort and Harmon Kardon, heated seats, it's absolutely effortless. That goes for around town too. I only commute twice a week (I walk the other days) and stuck in traffic it's perfect. I hate the stop/start but you can turn it off. There's no hassle with hill starts and it purrs it's way home or to work, stress free - lovely

And therein, for me, lies the issue. I want the car to excite me, I want it to have character. The engine gives me full torque from about 1,800 revs. There's no need to go past 3k. It doesn't encourage you to either in terms of noise or a change in acceleration. You almost want to be able to remap it to make it worse so there's a noticeable step when the turbo kicks in. It's linear, which for me, makes it a bit errrrrrm dull.

Just to give you an example, me and the missus recently had a weekend in Inverness (we stay in Aberdeen). The BMW surely is the ideal car for the trip. It's 90 miles and a mixture of A/B roads with overtaking lanes along the way. I can (if I want) take a few more cross country routes for some fun and hoonage .. what did I do? Stick it in D and stay to the main roads no inclination to take it cross country. It doesn't encourage you to. I find it also tends to wallow about a bit (it's heavy) so you fire along straights not revving it out, and then brake heavily to sort of lurch around the corner, and repeat. I know my driving style heavily influences this, but I don't really find it enjoyable

So, I've gone back to my roots (this will be my 4th Scooby), stuck some cash in the bank and bought a worse, slower car with a bad image, absolutely no tech (might even have a tape player) that'll probably detonate it's engine within 6 months.

Still, it's a manual will sound fantastic when I get a subtle back box on it that I can actually hear from inside the cabin (no a 4" slash cut jap ninja box will be going nowhere near it) and I'm sure Subaru use old toilet roll holders for insulation. Winter tyres will make it fantastic in the snow/cold up here and it has, for want of a better word, character

So, I've filed the BMW 335i along with my previous S3 in the box of 'nice car, would recommend, just not for me sorry about that !
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      05-11-2017, 04:05 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

That's a great car you're stepping into, nice!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 04:17 AM   #3
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Fair play to you OP. I know where you're coming from re fun. I've just moved on a 435d for a mini JCW as my DD and am feeling the fun. Not sure how long for though. I might get on my tit's after a while. You're brave taking on a 53K 2.5 engined car. Hope you like modding.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 05:15 AM   #4
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

I really like your logic, enjoy the new motor

My petrol engined car is giving me far more pleasure than the (albeit far worse than 335d) diesels that came before. Rev range and variation of power within that is a great part of the driving experience. Going back many years, I didn't like the Golf TDI I test drove as it just delivered everything it had, immediately. Far too on/off, even by diesel standards.

Anyway, good luck, it looks great fun!

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #5
320dAsh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Touring

I LOVE Subaru. I've never owned one but have been in plenty. It was the Legacy 3.0 spec b that got me hooked.
I wanted a Subaru when I changed mine in December (either Outback 2.0d or Forester XT) but didn't for reasons I gave in another thread.
Have fun in the Scoobie, watch the battery, and take care with oil changes (I researched them for 2 years!!). The Subaru forums are very friendly but there is a new post on the UK forums about every 3 months (well, outback and forester forums anyway - very quiet. This is making me sad that I STILL haven't got a Subaru - maybe next time I change.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
TheFifthElement
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys, I'm going to do 6 monthly oil changes whether it requires them or not, and I will run with side lights on (what no DRL's lol) to make sure the alternator is putting charge back into the battery.

I've had 3 before and although they did cost me a fair bit in maintenance, I never had one fail to start or get me somewhere come hail, rail or snow
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #7
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

I have to say that having had 2 Sti's - 1 blobeye with the PPP & 1 JDM hawkeye both 2.0 litre I absolutely love them, the JDM was possibly the best car all round for me and to this day wish I still had it.

I agree entirely with your sentiments on the 335 as I feel the same with my 330d F31. It does everything I need but don't you just miss that fun!

I did have the Jap style 4" on mine but found that a change to a TSL Group N back box and the mid cat delete was fantastic. (not sure TSL are still around though).

Anyway enjoy yourself....I know you will It does exactly what is says on the tin !!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Congrats, I wish I bought an STi back in 03 but I got an Acura (year I moved to the US) . I just traded my 3rd Outback and I had no real issues with mine. Yes it was will maintained. Had the 2.5 engine in it (2011 model year).

Main issue with it for me was it was a little dull and lacked pick up. The outback is much heavier than an Impreza though.

I'm an big fan of Scubies, goes back to Colin McRae and the WRC cars of the mid 90's.

Good luck and enjoy.
      05-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #9
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Looks like a lot of fun, and if you ever take it camping, you have somewhere to hang your towels
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I always did enjoy driving my Impreza, when I had one. A real hoot. Grip was astounding.

To give you some idea of how long ago it was, mine was the 'Terzo 3' edition model, which I bought new !
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #11
TheFifthElement
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Terzo, that'll be around 1998 I think .. I had a deep blue mica UK Turbo 2000 wagon back in 2001, my first Scooby and the car my daughter came home from after being born.

I was expecting a bit of a backlash (maybe still to come) but it appears there's some love for an old Scooby. Maybe that means its past the chav stage and starting to become a bit more of a classic. There's very very few unmolested examples about now.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #12
samm134
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F33 435d / Tesla Model 3

I bought my ST220 from Performance Car Company, they are a great company to deal with. And about a mile away from me.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
TheFifthElement
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

samm134 - your comment is much appreciated, always nice to know that the company is a good one. Always a risk buying a car unseen from the other end of the country !
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #14
Gaz330d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xDrive

I remembered my Subaru Impreza Catalunya well. One of the best and reliable cars I've owned. Only downside was the petrol costs !!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #15
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

I owned from new, a red MY99, P1 in 2001 & a UK STi from 2003-2007.

Great cars & loved driving mine on road, loads of trackdays & loads of laps around the Ring

Enjoy the car, OP. You going to be posting on Scoobynet now? Been a good few years since I have been on there.

I might know something about this as well. Searched for my old plate a few years ago & this came up

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewt...ce1a555766d636
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #16
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Looks nice man
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #17
Vinc3
Your Clothes Are Black!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
Just to give you an example, me and the missus recently had a weekend in Inverness (we stay in Aberdeen). The BMW surely is the ideal car for the trip. It's 90 miles and a mixture of A/B roads with overtaking lanes along the way. I can (if I want) take a few more cross country routes for some fun and hoonage .. what did I do? Stick it in D and stay to the main roads no inclination to take it cross country. It doesn't encourage you to. I find it also tends to wallow about a bit (it's heavy) so you fire along straights not revving it out, and then brake heavily to sort of lurch around the corner, and repeat. I know my driving style heavily influences this, but I don't really find it enjoyable
It's a shame that you didn't get adaptive suspension or go and visit Birds Auto, they tune BMW's very well indeed...

I have adaptive on my 335d and during a recent trip to Wales the country lanes in sport mode were proper fun By the time we got to where we were going after about an hour and a half of twisties, the first thing that my wife did when she got out of the car was vomit

Anyhow...

Enjoy the scooby! excellent bang for buck

I too am a car whore who's lost a lot of money keep changing cars, and you're more than likely going to do it again sometime soon, so you should really ask yourself what you want out of a car???

Think about getting 2 cars?

I'm going to do the following very soon: -

1 Build bigger garage that will actually if a car in and allow space to work on.

2. Get cheap car to take to race tracks.

3. Keep the 335d as the daily driver.

4. Possibly save up for the car of my dreams... (Not sure what that is yet)

All boxes ticked

Saves you p1ssing your money away by keep on changing cars, and gives you a hobby.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #18
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc3 View Post
Quote:
It's a shame that you didn't get adaptive suspension or go and visit Birds Auto, they tune BMW's very well indeed...

I have adaptive on my 335d and during a recent trip to Wales the country lanes in sport mode were proper fun By the time we got to where we were going after about an hour and a half of twisties, the first thing that my wife did when she got out of the car was vomit

Anyhow...

Enjoy the scooby! excellent bang for buck

I too am a car whore who's lost a lot of money keep changing cars, and you're more than likely going to do it again sometime soon, so you should really ask yourself what you want out of a car???

Think about getting 2 cars?

I'm going to do the following very soon: -

1 Build bigger garage that will actually if a car in and allow space to work on.

2. Get cheap car to take to race tracks.

3. Keep the 335d as the daily driver.

4. Possibly save up for the car of my dreams... (Not sure what that is yet)

All boxes ticked

Saves you p1ssing your money away by keep on changing cars, and gives you a hobby.
Exactly my plan

But I do enough miles on busy roads that I absolutely need a comfortable DD, and having modified it to death it's still never going to be a sports car. But it's still a great DD, and now I have a proper sports car.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Terzo, that'll be around 1998 I think .. I had a deep blue mica UK Turbo 2000 wagon back in 2001, my first Scooby and the car my daughter came home from after being born.

I was expecting a bit of a backlash (maybe still to come) but it appears there's some love for an old Scooby. Maybe that means its past the chav stage and starting to become a bit more of a classic. There's very very few unmolested examples about now.
I think if you look after it this might be one that makes you money. Perhaps when the urge comes to swap, just keep it and buy another to drive daily....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #20
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

... Miss my subaru
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #21
Dizzilad
BMW Enthusiast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

My mates just thought one of these. Ive always wanted one since being young and watching Richards Burns and Colin McRae etc. Drove my mates all over Cyprus the other day and im not sure what it is but i didn't like it. A case of never meet your hero i think.

Good luck with it, i know they're great cars but for me something just didn't click.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #22
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Nice one brother, do what's best for you. It's your prerogative...enjoy👍
Appreciate 0