F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cruise control - redundant button?
ARMA SPEED

05-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Danburns91
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey Metallic F10

Cruise control - redundant button?

Hi guys,

I'm curious about how your cruise control works, reason being is I'm on my 3rd 320d ED now and this is the only one where the set button is useless.

On my other cars i'd press the cruise control button, toggle the orange light around the speedo and then press set for it to go green and active, however, on my most recent car the moment i toggle it automatically goes green. Have i missed something?

Thans in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Newer cars have the LIM button instead of the Set button, doesn't yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 03:06 AM   #3
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Earlier 320d cars didn't have the LIM button. Not sure if they added it at LCI.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 03:22 AM   #4
Danburns91
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to clarify fellas, my car still has the set button, but it appears to be useless. As the moment I toggle the speed the light goes green and the cruise control becomes active
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 03:31 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Yes, and if you are cruising along and want your current speed 'set' you just activate cruise function and press set. Done.
Just because you can do something another way doesn't mean it has no function.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 03:32 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danburns91 View Post
Just to clarify fellas, my car still has the set button, but it appears to be useless. As the moment I toggle the speed the light goes green and the cruise control becomes active
That is how both my F30's have worked!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 03:35 AM   #7
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Procedure should be when driving along, cruise at 70 mph, turn cruise on then press set at desired speed. The toggle switch can be used for the same thing but can also be used to adjust set speed up or down.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #8
Danburns91
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Yes, and if you are cruising along and want your current speed 'set' you just activate cruise function and press set. Done.
It is useless though, the moment I press the cruise control button, and even slightly press the toggle, it becomes active. Thus making the set button useless. It would make sense if the cruise control didn't become active upon toggle and then use the set button to make it become active
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 04:20 AM   #9
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Quote:
Why set the speed if you don't want it to be active?

If It allowed me to set the speed to 30mph and then activate it whilst the car was doing 70mph+ the car would apply the brakes very hard to hit the desired speed. That's dangerous IMHO.
      05-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
It is useless though, the moment I press the cruise control button, and even slightly press the toggle, it becomes active. Thus making the set button useless. It would make sense if the cruise control didn't become active upon toggle and then use the set button to make it become active
I'm not with you, useless means it has no use or function. That is clearly wrong, as the set button will 'set' the CC to your current speed when pressed.
The history of CC has always worked on this principle......long before toggle buttons or stalks added more functionality to the system. There has always been a universally adopted set button.
Yes you can now do it another way, but perhaps BMW don't want to not piss off non BMW drivers by giving them reason to say the CC has no set button.....who knows?!?!? Same argument could be said for why the ZF8 has the function to move the gear-lever to the left and then allows manual changes by pushing forward and back on the gear lever, when you have paddles on the steering that have the same function. Probably again because that's how it always used to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 04:30 AM   #11
Danburns91
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not with you, useless means it has no use or function. That is clearly wrong, as the set button will 'set' the CC to your current speed when pressed.
The history of CC has always worked on this principle......long before toggle buttons or stalks added more functionality to the system. There has always been a universally adopted set button.
Yes you can now do it another way, but perhaps BMW don't want to not piss off non BMW drivers by giving them reason to say the CC has no set button.....who knows?!?!? Same argument could be said for why the ZF8 has the function to move the gear-lever to the left and then allows manual changes by pushing forward and back on the gear lever, when you have paddles on the steering that have the same function. Probably again because that's how it always used to work.
It's hard to explain without showing you really. I'll try however ha.

Drive at 70mph - press CC button (green CC icon displays and orange dot around speedo) - touch the toggle on the steering wheel - dot around the speedo becomes green and CC activates. (No need to press set)

Previous f30 320d's I've had have worked like this:

Drive at 70mph - press CC button (green icon displays and orange dot around speedo) - touch the toggle - orange dot moves around the speedo to desired speed - press set - CC activates at speed selected.

I could do with making a video really.
Appreciate 0