BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Superb M Sport Brakes on G30 540i

05-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Superb M Sport Brakes on G30 540i

I had M Sport brakes on an F33 435i convertible and I have to say, they were nothing compared to the M Sports on my G30 540i! The front calipers are noticeably larger than on the F33 - even though the F33 was a heavier car (by 300+ lbs). And I can feel the result. M Sport brakes well worth the cost on this car.
Attached Images

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 3
ZigmundUK436.00
ando1954.50
ronkkk6.00
      10-22-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
KnoxDawg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328i

How's the brake dust with the M-sport brakes? My F30 M-Sport (non-Msport brakes) had HORRIBLE dusting, with black wheels in days. I recently moved to a pre-owned F10 M-sport and dusting is minimal thanks to the ceramic pads. A G30 is in my future but want to know if the M-sport brakes are going to dust horribly.
      10-25-2017, 03:05 AM   #3
Jay R
Private
Rep
Drives: g30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxDawg View Post
How's the brake dust with the M-sport brakes? My F30 M-Sport (non-Msport brakes) had HORRIBLE dusting, with black wheels in days. I recently moved to a pre-owned F10 M-sport and dusting is minimal thanks to the ceramic pads. A G30 is in my future but want to know if the M-sport brakes are going to dust horribly.
The dusting is very horrible I love the look of the M-Sport brakes but it's impossible to keep the wheels clean. After every drive 5 miles or 50 miles you will have to wipe wheels.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
KnoxDawg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the input! I love the look of the brakes, but I'll stick with the standard brakes and save my sanity from ridiculous brake dust.
      10-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
kaakti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: g31 540i on the way

Quote:
Appreciate the input! I love the look of the brakes, but I'll stick with the standard brakes and save my sanity from ridiculous brake dust.
What kind of wheels You have? I have 664 M jest black and didn't have any issues. Good braking is much more important than clean wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
KnoxDawg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Don't have a G30 yet, currently in a F10 535. Just getting ideas for what I do/don't want in the future.
      10-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Quote:
The dusting is very horrible I love the look of the M-Sport brakes but it's impossible to keep the wheels clean. After every drive 5 miles or 50 miles you will have to wipe wheels.
Brake dust is a problem with the M-Sport brakes. However the braking performance makes it worth the pain for me.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
Trevster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Brake dust is a problem with the M-Sport brakes. However the braking performance makes it worth the pain for me.
Have you checked into the cost into replacing pads? I have M brakes on my 4 series. Looking to move into a 4 door, but worry about the pad replacement cost, I got quoted $2000-2500 for pads on my 4 series
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have you checked into the cost into replacing pads? I have M brakes on my 4 series. Looking to move into a 4 door, but worry about the pad replacement cost, I got quoted $2000-2500 for pads on my 4 series
Have not looked at brake pad cost because I plan to replace this car after three years. It is sad that BMW no longer includes brake pads as part of the maintenance plan.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
Trevster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have not looked at brake pad cost because I plan to replace this car after three years. It is sad that BMW no longer includes brake pads as part of the maintenance plan.
Lease? How are you liking the car? What don't you like, what did you drive previously?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lease? How are you liking the car? What don't you like, what did you drive previously?
Lease - yes.

I like the interior fit and finish, Powertrain (in Sport Mode with Sport Auto), manual shifting when called for, the technology - especially the iconic headlamps, auto parking, digital dashboard (changes with each of the three driving modes), 360 degree view, improved navigation system, etc. Also like the M Sport package on this car - especially the M steering wheel. Also like key elements of exterior design - the wheels are beautiful two-tone and look much better than photos, the entire exterior design is understated yet attractive. Acceleration and braking are awesome - especially for a full size six cylinder automobile.

Don't like the lack of auto trunk lid. Don't like the intermittent Apple CarPlay - but I suspect this more an iPhone issue than the car. The Gestures feature is good for some controls, e.g., skipping to next song, but generally needs more work - especially the volume control. Not crazy about body roll (when pushing it on canyon roads). Steering at very low speeds could be better (pulling head-on into tight parking spaces. These last two items make me wish I had Intelligent Active Steering and Dynamic Damper Control.

Wife and I have driven; 2002 Z3 3.0i, 2006 MZ4, 2007 335i Coupe, 2012 335i Sedan, 2014 435i Convertible, 2015 428i Gran Coupe (wife's current ride).

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
Trevster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lease - yes.

I like the interior fit and finish, Powertrain (in Sport Mode with Sport Auto), manual shifting when called for, the technology - especially the iconic headlamps, auto parking, digital dashboard (changes with each of the three driving modes), 360 degree view, improved navigation system, etc. Also like the M Sport package on this car - especially the M steering wheel. Also like key elements of exterior design - the wheels are beautiful two-tone and look much better than photos, the entire exterior design is understated yet attractive. Acceleration and braking are awesome - especially for a full size six cylinder automobile.

Don't like the lack of auto trunk lid. Don't like the intermittent Apple CarPlay - but I suspect this more an iPhone issue than the car. The Gestures feature is good for some controls, e.g., skipping to next song, but generally needs more work - especially the volume control. Not crazy about body roll (when pushing it on canyon roads). Steering at very low speeds could be better (pulling head-on into tight parking spaces. These last two items make me wish I had Intelligent Active Steering and Dynamic Damper Control.

Wife and I have driven; 2002 Z3 3.0i, 2006 MZ4, 2007 335i Coupe, 2012 335i Sedan, 2014 435i Convertible, 2015 428i Gran Coupe (wife's current ride).
Do you prefer it over the 428GC? I'm debating trading my 428xi for either 530-540i or 440GC
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:02 AM   #13
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lease - yes.

Do you prefer it over the 428GC? I'm debating trading my 428xi for either 530-540i or 440GC
Very much prefer the 540i over 428i GC. If BMW brings the 4 GC interior up to near the level of quality of the 5 then it could be a different story. But then the next issue is the dimensions - the 4 GC sits lower than the 5, so that's a matter of taste.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #14
Trevster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #15
solomonshv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6

Garage List
i got these brakes on my 540i xdrive. yea, there is definitely a lot of dust coming off of them. less than 100 miles on my car and dust is already clouding up the wheels. but i don't care, just like i didn't care about it on my Audi A6. safety and performance are my primary concerns.
Appreciate 2
TopDown89.50
      11-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #16
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

I doubt the stopping distance would change much on m-sport vs. non m.sport but perhaps I'm wrong.

I opted for the M-Sport brakes for the added brake feel and sharper bite. The dust does suck, but i appreciate the feel every time i hit the brake. I don't look at the wheels nearly as much as I hit the brake, so the choice was easy for me
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #17
andrewzwj
Rep
Drives: M550i

As others have mentioned, the brake dust is horrible. But the brake feel with the M-sport brakes are excellent.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have the MSport brakes on my 530e. I have the 664M wheels and the brake dust is almost imperceptible on those wheel. But...I do have a hybrid so I am not using my brakes as much as I would without one as the regenerative braking does some of the brake work.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #19
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Same here - the standard 664M wheels are darker inside so you can't notice the dust unless its on the outer part of the wheel. Obviously the black versions will make it even easier to keep perceptibly clean...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #20
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Dont notice it much at all on either the 668s or 669s...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:19 AM   #21
gjross
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewzwj View Post
As others have mentioned, the brake dust is horrible. But the brake feel with the M-sport brakes are excellent.
Try gtechniq wheel armour. PITA to apply, but does a really good job repelling the dust and really easy to clean afterwards - lasts around 18+ months too. As with most coatings, the key is preparation.
Appreciate 0