F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Turbo go bye bye
GetBMWParts

04-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Turbo go bye bye

My turbo just stopped producing boost without warning at 3100. No fault lights and I don't have the ability to check codes. I'll report back once the service center has a go at it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnpilot View Post
My turbo just stopped producing boost without warning at 3100. No fault lights and I don't have the ability to check codes. I'll report back once the service center has a go at it.
You all stock config?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder
Quote:
You all stock config?
Yeah, I'm too chicken to mod at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Wow you just got your car...might be a loose charge pipe rather than the turbo...let us know when you finally get back on the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep

I just got a call from the service rep and they say absolutelt nothing is wrong with the car. All of us as car guys know when something is wrong with the car more often than not before the car itself does. We'll see if he managed to inadvertently jostle something back in to position. For your reference, symptoms were no increase in acceleration force indicating positive boost, a quieted turbo, and I spent roughly 50% longer in each gear than normal when accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
symptoms were no increase in acceleration force indicating positive boost, a quieted turbo, and I spent roughly 50% longer in each gear than normal when accelerating.
If the tech did not see a code in the car and can't reproduce the issue, they will tell you that there's absolutely nothing wrong and call it a day. My experience with that is that they are dumb. Of course there was an issue, otherwise why would you have brought it in to them...

I recall from previous threads that early F30 335i's with MSport were having problems with their turbos - sluggish turbos, excessive fan speeds and limp mode - caused by faulty cooling. While this may not be exactly what you are experiencing, and you are in a B58 as opposed to N55, I'm not sure how applicable this info is. But it is food for thought.

However, I also know that B58's are being delivered without sufficient coolant in their second reservoir, leading to low coolant warnings for their owners. You may be experiencing side effects of low coolant - but not low enough to trigger a warning light.

Good luck and keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #7
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey
Quote:
symptoms were no increase in acceleration force indicating positive boost, a quieted turbo, and I spent roughly 50% longer in each gear than normal when accelerating.
If the tech did not see a code in the car and can't reproduce the issue, they will tell you that there's absolutely nothing wrong and call it a day. My experience with that is that they are dumb. Of course there was an issue, otherwise why would you have brought it in to them...

I recall from previous threads that early F30 335i's with MSport were having problems with their turbos - sluggish turbos, excessive fan speeds and limp mode - caused by faulty cooling. While this may not be exactly what you are experiencing, and you are in a B58 as opposed to N55, I'm not sure how applicable this info is. But it is food for thought.

However, I also know that B58's are being delivered without sufficient coolant in their second reservoir, leading to low coolant warnings for their owners. You may be experiencing side effects of low coolant - but not low enough to trigger a warning light.

Good luck and keep us posted
The tech "inspected and refastened everything" and couldn't duplicate the problem. TBH I'm less than impressed with the service department at Jackie Cooper in OKC, especially the service reps. I really wish I could have just spoken to the tech directly since the polo shirted middle man was the weak link in the troubleshoot. They then proceeded to inform me that because I bought it in Colorado the engine needs to adapt to Oklahoma. Then they proceeded to educate me on effects of air density. It's at this point I'll direct the casual reader to look at my username and consider whether or not I need to be instructed on the effects of altitude. I put my phone on mute and walked away for a couple of minutes.

Long story short, the turbo is behaving properly now. I imagine the waste gate was stuck open since all the tech did was jostle things about and now it's hunky dory. There is a silver lining, however. Since I couldn't pick the car up until this weekend I opted to have them install the MPPSK and let me tell you... it's fuckin nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

you didn't get an idrive message of reduced power?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #9
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Alot if not most of these techs just hug the ISTA software and maybe check for problems others have experienced similar to this.. which I dunno about the others but I've not heard of on the forum.
If you ever find one who can think on their feet stick to them like fly on sh!t.
Keep us updated if it happens again.. BOL
BTW I would consider doing some logging as a baseline so you have some #s to compare with if the issue crops again..
Appreciate 0