F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Discoloured b-pillar trim/seal?
Studio RSR

04-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
bunzo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC LCI

Discoloured b-pillar trim/seal?

I have some obvious white discolouration on the rough plastic trim/seals either side of my b-pillars (this is a 4-series GC).

It definitely wasn't there when new. I have only done 550 miles and it's been washed twice, once by a detailer and once by one of these resident shop car-park crews. It was definitely discoloured before the second wash, but I don't remember it being there immediately after the detailing.

Is this normal? If not, any ideas what it is and how to fix it?
Attached Images

04-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

The resident torture chamber probably used strong cleaning products that stripped the rubber of some natural oil and dried it out. Or wax got onto it somehow.

Swiss Vax seal feed is my go to twice a year to nourish seals. Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care is another option but obviously not as good!

Relax nothing is broken.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
bunzo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post

The resident torture chamber probably used strong cleaning products that stripped the rubber of some natural oil and dried it out. Or wax got onto it somehow.

Swiss Vax seal feed is my go to twice a year to nourish seals. Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care is another option but obviously not as good!

Relax nothing is broken.
OK thanks. Swiss Vax isn't cheap is it! But if it sorts it out I'll give it a go.
      04-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Sorry I don't want to sound like a dick here but you obviously care enough for your car to get it professionally detailed, but you then let a car park washing guy wash your car?? Have you not seen what they wash your car with or how they do it?

Anyway I got some wax on mine and it discoloured similar to yours so I just used a wet microfibre which worked for me but depends what's caused it I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
bunzo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog View Post
Sorry I don't want to sound like a dick here but you obviously care enough for your car to get it professionally detailed, but you then let a car park washing guy wash your car?? Have you not seen what they wash your car with or how they do it?

Anyway I got some wax on mine and it discoloured similar to yours so I just used a wet microfibre which worked for me but depends what's caused it I guess.
Fair comment - but the ones I use have been fine on previous cars so I didn't expect a problem. And like I said - the discolouration was there before they washed it.
      04-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

No not cheap but see it as an investment. Use it once before winter and once post winter / in summer. A little goes a long way. My 250ml bottle has been going for about 4 years. Last year I even applied it to our other car and there is about under a half left. The Autoglym can be used as part of a monthly sprucing if you want. Avoid wax and strong cleaners making contact with that area.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #7
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 wheeler

Super Resin Polish did this to my mum's F30 but not mine. Strange.

Might get her one looked at under warranty. I'm sure it's easy to replace the seals.
Appreciate 0