F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Buying 4 Series Gran Coupe – need advice
Studio RSR

04-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
ushafiq
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xdrive & G01 X3

Buying 4 Series Gran Coupe – need advice

Hi Guys,

I am currently on an E92 – 320d Sport Edition on a 62 plate. For practical reasons (from two to now three!) I am looking for a 4 series GC. I like diesels so my first preference was to hunt for a decent 435d! Found one (approved used), went for a test drive, and found an odd clonking noise from the front suspension – it had an active suspension - a 64 plate car approx. 25K miles, but with all possible extras (the normal plus heated steering wheel, surround view, rear view camera, adaptive Head lights, HK stereo, MSports breaks – a fully spec’ed car that is) – instantly put a deposit – now the dealer is saying new front struts are needed. The car is well within my budget.

2nd option - Found a brand-new Sport GC – delivery miles only – money is same – rather £500 less. Of course, limited extras – no x drive, but has pro Nav, sports transmission with flappy paddles, 19” wheels, my fav mineral grey color….black leather with red stitching (my wife liked it a lot! I can live with it as well)

If I try to search another 435d, the good ones (with all extras I am after) are way out of my budget.
So now the question is should I wait for the dealer to fix 435d and take the chances? – I am anxious that why an approved used car with only 25k miles needed new struts! May be there is some issue with the car – I have also been reading some horror stories around active suspension – in particular F30s, F32 and F36 built in 2013 – 2014. I am worried that the car might give me trouble again in the future. I will be ok until the car is under warranty for an year at least, but in future, I would have to get additional warranty for my own peace of mind….

Now what I should do….get a nearly Brand New 420d Sport coupe with delivery miles….or wait for 435d to get fixed.

Looking for some advice here.

Thanks

US
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

There is a software update for the knock on Adaptive suspension. That will probably fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Johnnoooooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Rich View Post
There is a software update for the knock on Adaptive suspension. That will probably fix it.
I like the 4 series alot, and the 3, but what is the point in a 4 grand coupe?? Isn't the idea of a 4 series a 2 door 3??? Just seems like an expensive 3 series to me lol
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnoooooo View Post
I like the 4 series alot, and the 3, but what is the point in a 4 grand coupe?? Isn't the idea of a 4 series a 2 door 3??? Just seems like an expensive 3 series to me lol
I suspect this might have been said at the start of every single review of the car THREE YEARS ago. And pretty much all of them ended with a thumbs up for the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Johnnoooooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Quote:
I suspect this might have been said at the start of every single review of the car THREE YEARS ago. And pretty much all of them ended with a thumbs up for the car.
Dont get me wrong i like the car, i just think ide save myself a few bob and get an even better 3 series
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Dont get me wrong i like the car, i just think ide save myself a few bob and get an even better 3 series
Thing is, the 4 series isn't more expensive if you're loading up a 3 series with options, especially new on a pcp.

Residuals slightly better, interest rate 2% lower (worth about £40 a month) and lots of the options on a 3 series are standard on 4 series. Pro nav, heated seats, memory seats.

Only time a 3 series is better value is if you don't load it with options. Otherwise, there is very little in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Ps. I ordered and cancelled a 340i with only m sport plus and storage pack as options.

I cancelled and ordered a 4 GC with just the same options. It is £30 a month more than the 3 would have been, but, I have pro nav, heated and memory seats. 3 Series would have cost more per month with those added.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
Johnnoooooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Quote:
Thing is, the 4 series isn't more expensive if you're loading up a 3 series with options, especially new on a pcp.

Residuals slightly better, interest rate 2% lower (worth about £40 a month) and lots of the options on a 3 series are standard on 4 series. Pro nav, heated seats, memory seats.

Only time a 3 series is significantly better value is if you don't load it with options. Otherwise, there is very little in it.
Oh right i got you.. Im out of touch with all that pcp, i got a bank loan for my car lol.. but they are a nice looking car..
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
ushafiq
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xdrive & G01 X3

My reason for picking 4 GC over 3 series saloon is 4's boot is larger (more practical for family use) plus I find 4 series aesthetically more balanced and attractive looking car..... those doors with frame less windows just look awesome - 4 series is wider and longer hence more presense on the road and the list continues!
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushafiq View Post
Hi Guys,

I am currently on an E92 – 320d Sport Edition on a 62 plate. For practical reasons (from two to now three!) I am looking for a 4 series GC. I like diesels so my first preference was to hunt for a decent 435d! Found one (approved used), went for a test drive, and found an odd clonking noise from the front suspension – it had an active suspension - a 64 plate car approx. 25K miles, but with all possible extras (the normal plus heated steering wheel, surround view, rear view camera, adaptive Head lights, HK stereo, MSports breaks – a fully spec’ed car that is) – instantly put a deposit – now the dealer is saying new front struts are needed. The car is well within my budget.

2nd option - Found a brand-new Sport GC – delivery miles only – money is same – rather £500 less. Of course, limited extras – no x drive, but has pro Nav, sports transmission with flappy paddles, 19” wheels, my fav mineral grey color….black leather with red stitching (my wife liked it a lot! I can live with it as well)

If I try to search another 435d, the good ones (with all extras I am after) are way out of my budget.
So now the question is should I wait for the dealer to fix 435d and take the chances? – I am anxious that why an approved used car with only 25k miles needed new struts! May be there is some issue with the car – I have also been reading some horror stories around active suspension – in particular F30s, F32 and F36 built in 2013 – 2014. I am worried that the car might give me trouble again in the future. I will be ok until the car is under warranty for an year at least, but in future, I would have to get additional warranty for my own peace of mind….

Now what I should do….get a nearly Brand New 420d Sport coupe with delivery miles….or wait for 435d to get fixed.

Looking for some advice here.

Thanks

US
Personally having been in the position of owning a remapped 318d to 320d power and now having a 435d I would go for the the 435d all day long. Yes the 420d is a brand new car but it's not the more desirable m sport and as good as the 20d engine is the 6 cylinder is just something else in my opinion. Ok so it's a few years old but it's got all the options in it and lowish miles too. As mentioned above the issues on the suspension have been dealt with now via a software update.
Appreciate 0