F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DSC light came on, but hazard lights fixed it...
ARMA SPEED

04-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
karma mechanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d GT xDrive M Sport

DSC light came on, but hazard lights fixed it...

Strange occurrence just now.
The car was warm, having been used all day. I got in again, started fine, at the first junction the DSC light came on and the power was limited to crawling speed. I crawled up to a set of lights intending to loop back round to my house. at the lights the start/stop cut in.

Upon the lights changing I was able to pull away normally, but within seconds it was DSC light again and limping along. There was an odd chittering noise from the dash.

Foot deep in the carpet I was going so slowly I wondered if I'd get home, a car was approaching from behind so I put on the hazard lights - just a few hundred yards to go...

Upon hitting the hazard light switch all power was restored abruptly and instantly, and with the foot deep in the carpet progress was unexpectedly swift for the next few yards.

Having recovered from the excitement and used my wife's car for the actual errand I've just taken my car on the exact same journey without incident.

Some searching would suggest wheel sensors might cause the DSC error, but what about hazard lights fixing it - it was the exact moment I hit the switch.

Any ideas?

By coincidence, the car tells me it needs its first service in 600 miles so this can all be sorted out in one go.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I would say it was coincidence that the problem went went you put the hazards on. I can't see any reason that hazard lights would fix a DSC fault.

Mind you it appears to be active cruise control that's causing mine and others interior light problem so it's not entirely impossible!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
karma mechanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d GT xDrive M Sport

Yes, rationally it must have been a coincidence.

However, the actual effect of pressing the hazards button was exactly like pressing a 'go' button after all the labouring along.

I'll book it in asap and we'll see. If it shows the same symptoms in the next few days I'll be able to experiment with pressing buttons.
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      04-23-2017, 03:27 AM   #4
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma mechanic View Post
Yes, rationally it must have been a coincidence.

However, the actual effect of pressing the hazards button was exactly like pressing a 'go' button after all the labouring along.

I'll book it in asap and we'll see. If it shows the same symptoms in the next few days I'll be able to experiment with pressing buttons.
Not a coincidence at all. The crash sensors use the hazards and ABS sensors as well as other sensors to determine a crash scenario so I'd say you should have a fault logged.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:52 AM   #5
Driv3r_FR
Rep
Drives: 330D Xdrive Touring F31

Hi There
I had exactly the same issue (Dsc light flashing, no power and chittering noise from the dash twice (at 6 months interval).
Did you solve the issue and how ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 08:07 AM   #6
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r_FR View Post
Hi There
I had exactly the same issue (Dsc light flashing, no power and chittering noise from the dash twice (at 6 months interval).
Did you solve the issue and how ?
You've rekindled a 7 year old thread...

Maybe best to start a new thread and ask that way