F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Air conditioner stopped blowing - new car
GetBMWParts

04-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
RaleighDawg
Rep
Drives: 2016 328iX GT

Air conditioner stopped blowing - new car

First road trip in the new car (328ix GT) and on the way back after a pit-stop, the air conditioner stopped blowing. Made all the noise of it running, but hardly any air coming out of any vents. Tried ever configuration and stopped to turn off and reset a start up. But never would work again on the trip. Next morning it worked just fine. I have a scheduled check up to look into it since I have another trip planned soon. But wanted to see if this has happened to anyone and what it could have been. After that trip the car only has 1500 miles on it total. The trip wasn't that long either, less than five hours each way.

The little air, and I mean little - could barely feel it, that came out was cold like it should be.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
RaleighDawg
Rep
Drives: 2016 328iX GT

Took it in for service and it was a known issue. Apparently is just a code error. After taking a day to reload the code I got it back and is working fine. I have taken it for a longer road trip into 96 degree South GA and an HPDE event when it was 94 degrees. Worked just fine through all of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
k332814
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3 and more

just happened also

40,000 miles on my 'old' 2015 M4 no problem.
2,000 miles on 'new' 2017 M4- exact same problem.

Long story short I was out of town and went to Global Imports in ATL - 'sorry, you didn't buy the car here we can't help you.' Note everybody- FU Global Imports.

Home service dept. 'plugged the computer in' & 'reset the AC system' and cold air was blowing out the vents again. Total of 10minutes. Told the same that next time I need to leave it overnight for a full sys reload.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

What temp?
Where was your center dial set?
Were you recirculating air?

In the past this issue was caused by improper placement of temp sensor which caused the coil to freeze.

I had it happen to me once when the system was trying to cool below 70 degrees and center dial was moved to max cool.

If it happens again crack/tilt sunroof, move center dial to the middle, turn off AC and just run air out of the dash vents. It'll defrost in 1-2 mins as you're going down the road.

After that just run AC at 72-74 degrees on "Auto" at higher than min fan speed with center dial in the middle.

GL.

Note: Sorry about your experience at Global. They're my home dealer and unfortunately they have limited space but are possibly the busiest service department in the area.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
k332814
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3 and more

Yeah, tried all that at the time trust me as instinctively in my experience with home/commercial HVAC systems frozen coils seemed like the obvious problem. Im not one to turn the dial to 60 thinking that it cools faster lol. I set and forget. Everything was on Auto. Even after 90 minutes of being off, it still had nothing coming out the vents while the blower was blowing.

When I pulled into Global, everyone of the service lanes was wide open and the 30 'advisors' were all standing around doing nothing. Absolutely no signs of those people being overworked lol.

When 10 of them came over and started pushing buttons I was trying to troubleshoot by asking myself... 'whats different'? I had the M-Performance steering wheel installed at delivery. I had maybe a suspicion that the installation of that might be a cause.

When I volunteered that 'theory' I was told it would cost me a diagnostic fee just for them to look at it.

Nevermind the fact the car had 3000 miles on it and I was over 100 miles from home. To me I left with this impression- You're right- they are so busy, they don't give a shit. F Them.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have about 6,000 miles and as I drove away from a golf course (car had been sitting for more than 5 hours) the car only blew warm air. Unlike your description, it was blowing, just not cold. Couldn't be a frozen coil because it didn't have time to freeze (happened as soon as I drove away).

I drove straight to the BMW dealership (a Saturday afternoon), left the car and received a loaner.

Given the bad service you received, I want to give a shout out to BMW of North Scottsdale. Didn't raise an eyebrow at my coming in without an appointment on a weekend and said "of course we will take it and give you a loaner".

Turned out to be a compressor failure. SA said that they ordered and received the only compressor part in the US. If that is true, either it is a part that almost never fails or it is a part that fails so often that they can't keep it in stock.

Anyway...got my car back and it is all fixed. Really missed my HUD while using the loaner.

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 05-10-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighDawg View Post
...the air conditioner stopped blowing. Made all the noise of it running, but hardly any air coming out of any vents.
The little air, and I mean little - could barely feel it, that came out was cold like it should be.
This happened to me today on my 2015 335. Blower making the sound like it's blowing full speed, but barely any air coming out. Was fine after car parked awhile and air flow rate started to drop after driving 20 min down the highway. Looks like I have no choice but to bring it to the dealer?
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2017, 10:31 PM   #8
E46andF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: e46 323i, f30 328xi

Happened to me last summer on my first "road trip" with the car, it's a known issue, and they are starting to see a lot of vehicles coming in with this ac issue according to my adviser, but not enough yet to make it a recall...why Bmw....why?....please don't let my F30 go the route of my money pit, but still loved and adored, but not as hard or far driven for fear of the next repair anymore E46 .
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
E46andF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: e46 323i, f30 328xi

k332814, I also got one of those you didn't buy the car here/ we can't help you/ oh you bought the old one here, maybe we can help you at a price crap type greetings, FU Richmond BMW! Seriously what is it with these damn dealers/ serivce departments and attitude? Wonder if MB is the same
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #10
raducris
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5d

Garage List
2015 X5d  [0.00]
AC reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by k332814 View Post
40,000 miles on my 'old' 2015 M4 no problem.
2,000 miles on 'new' 2017 M4- exact same problem.

Long story short I was out of town and went to Global Imports in ATL - 'sorry, you didn't buy the car here we can't help you.' Note everybody- FU Global Imports.

Home service dept. 'plugged the computer in' & 'reset the AC system' and cold air was blowing out the vents again. Total of 10minutes. Told the same that next time I need to leave it overnight for a full sys reload.
Can you please give a few more details, how did you reset the AC? ISTA/which module/register?
I have always had this AC problem and went to different shops. One the guy said he did an AC reset and well it was blowing like never before... till I got home and shut off the engine. I'd like to repeat this on my own if I can figure what software to use
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #11
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I don't think it's a re-set, but actually a software change.

I had the same problem with my 2016. From what I understand there are a couple fixes depending on the age of the car. One fix is to add a small plastic part in the ductwork (forget where...) and the other is a software update that changes the way the AC works. Both are designed to keep the AC from freezing up while running for long periods of time in hot humid conditions.
      06-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The plastic piece keeps space between the coils and the sensor. I haven't seen it mentioned for a while, a service bulletin search should turn it up, as well as software updates.
Appreciate 0