F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Detailing question - swirl marks
Studio RSR

04-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #1
Dr_O
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Detailing question - swirl marks

I decided to detail my car over the weekend after getting an Autoglym kit and some other bits and bobs.

Spent many hours cleaning away (thanks to information from some previous threads in this board!):

Rinse
Snow foam (using a hose... was pretty awful and didnt stick to the car!)
Rinse
Tyres
2 bucket wash
Rinse
Clay (this took AGES)
Wipe down
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

It was a really overcast day, and in that light looked amazing!
Today I parked up the car at work and while it looks really shiny, in the slithers of daylight I noticed a few swirl marks left on the roof.

My wifes patience was wearing thin after a few hours as the kids were going mental, so I don't think I gave the polishing the attention it required.

Is there a quick and easy way for me to get rid of those marks or do I have to repeat the process again?

She will quite probably attack me if I tell her I have to clean the car again this weekend!!

Or... do I just live with it till the next detail in 6 months or so?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #2
Cuninho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Just to be sure, they are swirl marks and not polish reisude if you left it on a bit longer?

It becomes a PITA to get off once hard and ive had that issue before, crying when I seen the swirls, to elated when I realised it was very faint polish
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

You won't get rid of swirls unless you use a machine and good compound even then you won't remove every single swirl.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #4
Dr_O
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuninho View Post
It becomes a PITA to get off once hard
Tee hee!

Not really had much of a chance to look at it in good light... will have to pop out to take a look.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
You won't get rid of swirls unless you use a machine and good compound even then you won't remove every single swirl.
This, by hand it is very difficult to remove swirl marks and over time I found I had a 'cloudy sky' effect to my finish. I just couldn't get a uniform finish.

A DA Polisher is the best bet for a novice to get a good finish. With an aggressive compound and pad it will attack the swirls scratched into the paint. With a gentle finishing pad and compound it gives a uniform finish.
      04-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Autoglym SRP is a filler polish, so all your swirls are still on the car, merely masked by SRP for a few washes. Are the marks on the roof the swirls that SRP hasn't filled, or is it SRP residue?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
Autoglym SRP is a filler polish, so all your swirls are still on the car, merely masked by SRP for a few washes. Are the marks on the roof the swirls that SRP hasn't filled, or is it SRP residue?
+1

You need something with a light abrasive in it, if they're not bad then something like poorboys SSR 1 would do the trick, followed by SRP and then EGP

Andy
      04-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #8
Dr_O
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEssex330d View Post
+1

You need something with a light abrasive in it, if they're not bad then something like poorboys SSR 1 would do the trick, followed by SRP and then EGP

Andy
Right... didn't realise it was a filler polish! Ok... I think I'm tempted to leave it for now, it's much better than it was and good enough until my OCD keeps me awake at night.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Did you use a lubricant when using the clay? Did you wash the car after claying?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #10
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_O View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEssex330d View Post
+1

Andy
Right... didn't realise it was a filler polish! Ok... I think I'm tempted to leave it for now, it's much better than it was and good enough until my OCD keeps me awake at night.
Thing is unless you're a professional you will always get swirl marks, can't really get away from them in all honesty! Main things are washing practices and not to over wash in my experience, and use mitts, two bucket method, microfibre cloths, all that jazz. I used autoglym for years but find poorboys so much easier and better, worth a try on your next day of cleaning!
      04-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
Dr_O
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Right... checked it in the sunlight and there are still swirl marks all over! Maybe not as pronounced as they were, as you really need to get it in a certain light to see them

I was using Meguiars detail spray after the clay and I didn't wash after, just another spray and buff with microfibre. Should I have washed after?

I'll get some poorboys stuff for the next detailing session. Don't want to get too obsessed at this stage, as getting a buffing machine would be a step too far!!

Although... I do have a Bosh PEX 300 random orbital sander (adjustable speed) - with polishing pads, could this be used?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I fully wash the car, then I use an alcohol spray to wipe the car down and remove the old polish, then clay with quick detailer before polish / wax etc.

In my opinion you do not need to wash the car again after using clay if you have done a good job of buffing clay / detailer off.

It's after claying when you concentrate on swirl removal and I use a Meguiars Dual Action polisher with something like SSR1.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_O View Post
Right... checked it in the sunlight and there are still swirl marks all over! Maybe not as pronounced as they were, as you really need to get it in a certain light to see them

I was using Meguiars detail spray after the clay and I didn't wash after, just another spray and buff with microfibre. Should I have washed after?

I'll get some poorboys stuff for the next detailing session. Don't want to get too obsessed at this stage, as getting a buffing machine would be a step too far!!

Although... I do have a Bosh PEX 300 random orbital sander (adjustable speed) - with polishing pads, could this be used?
Autoglym SRP shouldn't really be called a 'polish' as it just fills in the swirl marks. However, you can use multiple layers of SRP to gradually make the swirls less and less. It doesn't remove the swirls, but if you don't want to use a Dual Action polishing machine, its not a bad option.

SRP will get washed out of the swirl marks so to prolong the benefits its best to seal the surface. Autoglym HD Wax is a great sealing product with a deep, wet like, shine and it lasts for 4 -5 months.

It's advised to wash the car after claying so that you can be sure any streaking is removed before you polish. You don't have to, but I think it helps, and shouldn't take long.

Afraid you shouldn't use a random orbital sander as it doesn't rotate the pad. Its the rotation that removes the swirls.

Everyone has their own favourite products but, if it helps, mine are Autoglym, Zaino and Sonax.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #14
PJJD
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange II F32 M Sport+

Glazes are completely useless in my opinion. You're just putting a bandage over the problem by using a glaze.

Your car needs to be compounded and polished with a DA polisher to remove the swirl marks. However, unless you're going to really take the time to look after your car afterwards, there's not much point in correcting your paint. When I say 'look after your car', I mean two bucket method with a lambswool wash mitt with a good car shampoo and a drying aid along with a drying towel. And also apply a sealant and/or wax every 3 - 4 months depending on what sealant or wax you decide on.

Given what you've said, your wife may kill you if you start doing this though
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Or just get a professional detail done
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:58 AM   #16
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Lots of good advice above.

As said, if you want rid of the swirls then an appropriate abrasive polish and pad on a polisher is really the only way.

SRP is a great product, but misleading as it really isn't a polish, more of an enhancement product with some minor protection built in.

It sounds like you have the pressures of family life, meaning spending a day doing the job isn't really an option. Given you'd need to buy all the various kit too, I'd be inclined to get it professionally done (if it really bothers you) then maintain it properly to minimise the chance of adding back the swirls.

There are other options to mask the swirls from manufacturers like Zymol (HD Cleanse and Carbon wax combo) Zaino's (Z2 and Z8 combo), Dodo Juice (Need for speed) etc etc

Get yourself a coffee and some popcorn and take a look over on detailing world where you can see some of the result you can achieve and then decide which route you want to take
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #17
Dr_O
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
Lots of good advice above.

As said, if you want rid of the swirls then an appropriate abrasive polish and pad on a polisher is really the only way.

SRP is a great product, but misleading as it really isn't a polish, more of an enhancement product with some minor protection built in.

It sounds like you have the pressures of family life, meaning spending a day doing the job isn't really an option. Given you'd need to buy all the various kit too, I'd be inclined to get it professionally done (if it really bothers you) then maintain it properly to minimise the chance of adding back the swirls.

There are other options to mask the swirls from manufacturers like Zymol (HD Cleanse and Carbon wax combo) Zaino's (Z2 and Z8 combo), Dodo Juice (Need for speed) etc etc

Get yourself a coffee and some popcorn and take a look over on detailing world where you can see some of the result you can achieve and then decide which route you want to take
Yeah, as you mentioned there is great advice here! (as always)

I think I will stick to doing the work myself, and just get over the fact there will be a few swirl marks. As mentioned, its not as pronounced and when parked next to a work colleagues Alpine White 320 really stands out! His has a green tinge to it, and its not really that dirty!

I'm sticking to wool wash mitt and proper cleaning regime, so can get away with spending a little time every other weekend. My supplies are steadily growing though, so I hope my wife doesn't go rooting around in the garage

I may get round to a professional detail at some stage, but I want some ACS springs first so need to start laying the foundations for that purchase...

Detailing world is really, well, detailed... lots of information from obsessives!
Appreciate 0