THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MPE owners - how do you like it?

04-12-2017, 02:09 AM   #1
jcl89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i ZF8

MPE owners - how do you like it?

Considering the MPE for my 2015 M235i.

1. Any drone in the cabin?

2. Any increase in cabin engine sound?

3. Will the exhaust affect performance or reliability?

Been doing some research, figured it'd help to hear firsthand.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Guitarman15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl89 View Post

Love it no issues! Not super loud but definitely better than stock exhaust
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

no power gains, not loud enough, high cost. Get something else.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Here are my impressions:

1. Any drone in the cabin? No

2. Any increase in cabin engine sound? Yes

3. Will the exhaust affect performance or reliability? No

It is slightly louder than the stock exhaust, just the right amount for me. Roll the windows down, put the car in Sport+, press the DSC Off button for 4 sec, and put the gear selector in S mode and you will get a cornucopia of unexpected and delightful aural entertainment.

As an added bonus in this mode you get a gas pedal with a proper linear throttle response, just like a real race car.

(note: some people reported that this procedure put the car's suspension in comfort mode, this doesn't occur in my car)

(double note: Yes overly cautious people, you are driving with most of the nannies off, so you have to behave like a responsible adult. If that's not possible keep your car in comfort mode )
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
LiuC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

MPE + DP in my opinion sounds amazing, just MPE is only light increase in sound, almost no increase in cabin, but definitely noticeable out side the car.

Or you can just stick with stock cat and go with a muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
put the car in Sport+, press the DSC Off button for 4 sec, and put the gear selector in S mode and you will get a cornucopia of unexpected and delightful aural entertainment.
putting car into DSC off puts it into comfort mode throttle settings, u'd get better sounds leaving it in sport + or sport mode.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
putting car into DSC off puts it into comfort mode throttle settings, u'd get better sounds leaving it in sport + or sport mode.
Absolutely, comfort mode throttle setting = linear throttle response. For old school drivers like myself a linear throttle makes for more predictable throttle control on the track or street. YMMV
The DCS off mode with S mode transmission also puts my car into a more aggressive shift mapping than sports+ with S mode. Based on reports, some cars seem to operate differently. So give it a try, if you don't like it go back to your favorite flavor.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

1) No drone. Maybe a little more exhaust warble under certain loads.

2) Yes, there's an increase in interior sound. You hear more exhaust. Still very refined inside.

3) No affect on either. BMW makes no claims on HP gains. Dinan and many other aftermarket companies claim ~5hp/5tq gains with similar high flow muffler setups. I felt no change, but the change in sound is worth the price plus the OEM fitment is great. The sound is intoxicating. A cross between muscle and exotic. The exhaust overrun (i.e., burbles are far more prevalent as well).

I suggest ordering from Brian Keller at BMW Sun Motors. He gives the best new prices.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Per BMW, you get around 80% of the overrun sound in DSC Off compared to Sport. I can't tell any audible difference. Both settings have a lot of overrun, at least in a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
1) No drone. Maybe a little more exhaust warble under certain loads.

2) Yes, there's an increase in interior sound. You hear more exhaust. Still very refined inside.

3) No affect on either. BMW makes no claims on HP gains. Dinan and many other aftermarket companies claim ~5hp/5tq gains with similar high flow muffler setups. I felt no change, but the change in sound is worth the price plus the OEM fitment is great. The sound is intoxicating. A cross between muscle and exotic. The exhaust overrun (i.e., burbles are far more prevalent as well).

I suggest ordering from Brian Keller at BMW Sun Motors. He gives the best new prices.
Does he offer a better price than what's listed on ebay if you call? Its still one of the best prices, but I've seen a few ebay retailers offering the same price or similar less / more.
      04-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
Does he offer a better price than what's listed on ebay if you call? Its still one of the best prices, but I've seen a few ebay retailers offering the same price or similar less / more.
I think the price is the same as the ebay listing. I just email him at BKeller@sunmotorcars.com, tell him a member of this site, and request his best quote shipped to my zip code. I prefer dealing directly with someone.
He's always the cheapest and manages to have everything in stock. He typically ships same day. I just ordered the MP rear diffuser from him 5 minutes ago.
Appreciate 3
M235iguy167.50
bryan_G011164.50
koston37.00
      04-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #12
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
I think the price is the same as the ebay listing. I just email him at BKeller@sunmotorcars.com, tell him a member of this site, and request his best quote shipped to my zip code. I prefer dealing directly with someone.
He's always the cheapest and manages to have everything in stock. He typically ships same day. I just ordered the MP rear diffuser from him 5 minutes ago.
That email will come in handy, thanks!
      04-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiuC View Post
MPE + DP in my opinion sounds amazing, just MPE is only light increase in sound, almost no increase in cabin, but definitely noticeable out side the car.

Or you can just stick with stock cat and go with a muffler delete
More and dp all the way. Part of me wishes I went armytrix axel back with do though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #14
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Quote:
Per BMW, you get around 80% of the overrun sound in DSC Off compared to Sport. I can't tell any audible difference. Both settings have a lot of overrun, at least in a 6MT.
I have a 14' MY 6spd and DSC off has near the same over run as comfort. I am full Armytrix exhaust and catless DP so maybe my situation is exaggerated but in my experience 80% of Sport/Sport+ would be pushing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #15
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I think it's perfect for what it's designed for. Which is a nice tone and no rasp. Here's my MPE w/ 4" catless DP

Still has resonator between the cat section and muffler, to me it's the perfect tone, volume and over run. I could imagine it being slightly better with a high end axle back, but I'm content. It also has an oem+ finish which helps keep things looking factory. Exhausts are one of those things that each person has preferences for. Best bet it try to hear one in person, as the videos can distort a lot of pure sound. My video was done with a mic, so it's as about as clear as I could get to show how it would sound in person.

D
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #16
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:

For me, zero

Quote:
No

Quote:
Nope

You didn't ask the best question, does it sound better?

YES!
      04-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #17
Bmw.Fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

I've debated endlessly over this before I ended up purchasing my MPE. I searched countless threads and watched all the videos.

In the end, I would say it exceeded my expectations. There are some that say there wasn't much change in noise but I can tell you for a fact that there is a night and day difference in sound. It's much more aggressive and burbles often under the right circumstances (Letting off the gas below 4K RPMS or down shifting with revs hitting below 4K).

There are some that say the MPE is too quiet and I have to say that it's a matter of preference. I think it is plenty loud while maintaining stock levels of noise in comfort mode (which was important to me), I do not want to explain to anyone why the car is droning on the highway. I made 3 videos that I just uploaded to Youtube for reference purposes. Hopefully this will help you and anyone else that is on the fence about it like I was.

Stock note for reference

Right after changing exhaust (not broken in yet, oh yeah did I mention the exhaust needs about 500 miles to 1000 miles of break in before it gets even louder?)

After break in (But inside of a garage so it is a bit louder)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by Bmw.Fan; 04-19-2017 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #18
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by uisynot View Post
I've debated endlessly over this before I ended up purchasing my MPE. I searched countless threads and watched all the videos.

In the end, I would say it exceeded my expectations. There are some that say there wasn't much change in noise but I can tell you for a fact that there is a night and day difference in sound. It's much more aggressive and burbles often under the right circumstances (Letting off the gas below 4K RPMS or down shifting with revs hitting below 4K).

There are some that say the MPE is too quiet and I have to say that it's a matter of preference. I think it is plenty loud while maintaining stock levels of noise in comfort mode (which was important to me), I do not want to explain to anyone why the car is droning on the highway. I made 3 videos that I just uploaded to Youtube for reference purposes. Hopefully this will help you and anyone else that is on the fence about it like I was.

Stock note for reference

Right after changing exhaust (not broken in yet, oh yeah did I mention the exhaust needs about 500 miles to 1000 miles of break in before it gets even louder?)

After break in (But inside of a garage so it is a bit louder)

Let me know if you have any questions.
This is a great post! I am still on the fence if I should give my 2015 M235 a mid life upgrade with the MPE and diffuser. On one hand I'd like a better sound but I don't want to drive around like a Mustang GT owner in puberty either.
Still debating the choice..
      04-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
This is a great post! I am still on the fence if I should give my 2015 M235 a mid life upgrade with the MPE and diffuser. On one hand I'd like a better sound but I don't want to drive around like a Mustang GT owner in puberty either.
I don't have an MPE yet but did ride in a car that had one. Mine will be done shortly. To put it bluntly, when you drive like an asshole you sound like an asshole, in a good way It's really pretty tame as far as these things go and when you're not pushing the car it's not obnoxious. My dad's R32 was MUCH more aggressive sounding and that was stock exhaust.

I really just want my car to sound like the RS3 I drove in Stockholm. That thing is perfect from that perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #20
Bmw.Fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
When it is in comfort mode, the car sounds nearly identical to stock which is why I love the MPE. The only other exhaust that I know of that can do that is the armytrix or Dinan, both of which are a bundle of $$$$$!

Also, if you need to buy, Check with Brian at Sunmotorcars, it's where I got mine for $700 without tips (You can reuse your stock tips, which I preferred anyway).

-Tony
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #21
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Thanks! Do the stock tips fit without any issues regarding width and length?
      04-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #22
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967
Thanks! Do the stock tips fit without any issues regarding width and length?
Ping me Mon to remind me I'll post some pics.
Appreciate 1