F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Vibration at high speed with warm tires
ARMA SPEED

04-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Vibration at high speed with warm tires

I have a 15' 330d with the M-sport package (see image) and the 18" OEM wheels (M400), summer tires: CONTINENTAL CONTISPORTCONTACT 5 SSR (225/45/18 and 255/40/18) (runflats).

Noticed after changing the winter tires, that the car starts vibrating (feel it in the steering wheel the most) when I give moderate-full gas from 160km/h (100mph). I got the tires balanced not so long ago, but the issue still persists. What I noticed also is that it only happens when the tires have been warmed up, so after driving for about 20-30mins.

I was thinking of the rims might be damaged, however they are in like new conditions, but now I more and more thinking of that the tires are either damaged or something is up with them (no visible sign from the outside though). (Searched google but haven't really found my issue...)

Has anyone experiences similar with these tires/setup? (it certainly didn't do any of this with the winter tyre setup)

I have an appointment in 2 weeks at a local shop who is mainly dealing with M3/M4s so I guess they could tell me if the tyre or the rim is the devil.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I don't have this particular setup, but this type of issue has always been wheel balance in the past. You need to find a top rated tire shop near you with good equipment.

Could be something simple like a weight fell off, although that wouldn't necessarily change with tire temp. Also could be one of the tires is flat spotted after storage...had this happen to me and tire needed to be replaced.

P.S. Nice car and nice picture, BTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
I don't have this particular setup, but this type of issue has always been wheel balance in the past. You need to find a top rated tire shop near you with good equipment.

Could be something simple like a weight fell off, although that wouldn't necessarily change with tire temp. Also could be one of the tires is flat spotted after storage...had this happen to me and tire needed to be replaced.

+1

If you just got new rubber shod, they likely need balancing, even if it was done recently. Could just be a weight that came off since then. As above, find a good shop to balance them and go from there.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:

I have an appointment at a very highly rated shop, working with mainly performance cars, so I'm hoping they have the right gear to tell me what is wrong...

TBH, I've felt the same issue right after I bought the car, took it to another BMW dealer, where they told me it is "normal" with these runflat tires... (i didn't really believed them, but they should be the professionals right?).

I'm looking for that appointment to see what's up.

Thanks. I love it so much, just needs a bit of detailing.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

my $ is on Tire Balancing.

and No it is not normal to have vibrations on your steering wheel, runflat or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
my $ is on Tire Balancing.

and No it is not normal to have vibrations on your steering wheel, runflat or not.
Thanks guys.

I hope I'll get away with only a wrong balance, wouldn't like to buy new set of wheels or rims now, although I've seen pretty ones on the market.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
AlexM
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 M50d

I had this problem and was told by the dealer that it's "normal" with runflats - mine were like 1,5 years old. The vibration started getting on my nerves a LOT. I changed to normal setup 3 months later, as i just couldn't stand it anymore. I had 19s but funnily didn't have this problem with my old car (also on 19s).

X6 M50d Tanzanite Blue
F36 440i GC/retired; F30 328i/retired; E92 335i/retired
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
I had this problem and was told by the dealer that it's "normal" with runflats - mine were like 1,5 years old. The vibration started getting on my nerves a LOT. I changed to normal setup 3 months later, as i just couldn't stand it anymore. I had 19s but funnily didn't have this problem with my old car (also on 19s).
Hmm.. normal as non-runflats, right? Weird. I also have RFT winter tyres but they were running without any issues (those are Pirellis), same size 225/45/18. It is getting on my nerves too.

I have exactly 2 weeks left till my appointment, can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep

So, quick update. It turned out that my right rear rim is bent a bit (although you cannot see it from the outside), if you spin it, you'll see it goes a bit sideways which is not soooo ideal. :/

So now the biggest question of a man's life. Should I get a new replacement rim, or throw the whole set out and buy used, but with brand new paint job (with the color of my choice) 19" Vossen VFS2 rims + tires? :O
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #10
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep

Something like this.

Original image here: https://www.carid.com/images/vossen/...3-series-2.jpg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #11
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

The universe is giving you a sign to go ahead and get all new wheels.

Nice wheel, but personally not a fan of black wheel color.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #12
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep

Quote:
The universe is giving you a sign to go ahead and get all new wheels.

Nice wheel, but personally not a fan of black wheel color.
Universe is wise yes, but 3000€ can be spent wiser, like 2 weeks vacation with all included. (I'm not really a fan of black ones either, but these look cool in this "gunmetal"/grayish color)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:48 AM   #13
Capmoq
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D F11 2015

I have had this issue. Continental ContiSportContact 5 tyres have sticky residue inside the tyre. It is not on the walls but on the other side of the thread. The purpose of this is to seal very small punctures. If you have high torque car and warm tyres then the residue starts to run and creates lumps. These lumps start make it wobble.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:39 AM   #14
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capmoq View Post
I have had this issue. Continental ContiSportContact 5 tyres have sticky residue inside the tyre. It is not on the walls but on the other side of the thread. The purpose of this is to seal very small punctures. If you have high torque car and warm tyres then the residue starts to run and creates lumps. These lumps start make it wobble.
Ahh didn't know that, good to know. Thank you, I have the same tires, soon to be replaced though to Michelins (non run flats) can't wait.

The issue was btw with my rear right rim. Apparently, since it was a BMW training vehicle, someone must have hit something hard, although no issues with suspension or other parts luckily.
And my dealer was "awesome" enough not to tell me anything about it or acknowledge that they sold me a "faulty" vehicle, also went through one other dealer, biggest in Berlin, Germany who also didn't find anything wrong with the car, they said, they did a 210km/h test run on the highway and everything was normal... You could feel it wobble from around 130-140km/h.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #15
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabDev View Post
Ahh didn't know that, good to know. Thank you, I have the same tires, soon to be replaced though to Michelins (non run flats) can't wait.

The issue was btw with my rear right rim. Apparently, since it was a BMW training vehicle, someone must have hit something hard, although no issues with suspension or other parts luckily.
And my dealer was "awesome" enough not to tell me anything about it or acknowledge that they sold me a "faulty" vehicle, also went through one other dealer, biggest in Berlin, Germany who also didn't find anything wrong with the car, they said, they did a 210km/h test run on the highway and everything was normal... You could feel it wobble from around 130-140km/h.
Sounds like dealers are the same kind of scum all over the world.

podman
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #16
pshovest
BMW CCA 69606
Rep
Drives: '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5,'98M3

Quote:
....Noticed after changing the winter tires, that the car starts vibrating (feel it in the steering wheel the most)........
Quote:
.......So, quick update. It turned out that my right rear rim is bent a bit (although you cannot see it from the outside), if you spin it, you'll see it goes a bit sideways which is not soooo ideal......
Seems unlikely a rear wheel issue would cause a problem felt in steering wheel. I would balance front wheels before replacing rear rim.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #17
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabDev;21616626t
3000€

Weird currency, how much is one of these clams worth?
Appreciate 0