F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive M Sport Suspension in Sport Mode
Studio RSR

03-31-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Adaptive M Sport Suspension in Sport Mode

I've just picked up my new F33 440 which has adaptive M sport suspension.

I had a couple of hours on the motorway yesterday so I had a play with the settings. It seemed to me that if I set sport mode to drivetrain + chassis, ie putting the adaptive suspension into sport mode, the steering gets a bit notchy. By which I mean it feels like you have to move the steering wheel a bit before the car reacts.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it a fault?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:05 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChumley View Post
I've just picked up my new F33 440 which has adaptive M sport suspension.

I had a couple of hours on the motorway yesterday so I had a play with the settings. It seemed to me that if I set sport mode to drivetrain + chassis, ie putting the adaptive suspension into sport mode, the steering gets a bit notchy. By which I mean it feels like you have to move the steering wheel a bit before the car reacts.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it a fault?
Mine gets heavier, as you'd expect. not notchy though. Have you got VSS?
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 1
MrChumley453.00
      03-31-2017, 03:23 AM   #3
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

The standard steering gets heavier in sport mode, without particularly adding any sportiness. I've not really used it on the motorway though, as I tend to let comfort take care of things (the ride stiffens up anyway if the surface is decent - check it out with its response to cats eyes).

One thing I have noticed this week is that I'm actually starting to prefer the suspension in sport over certain slow speedbumps. Damping out the body movements more firmly actually makes for a more comfortable ride than comfort mode.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
MrChumley453.00
      03-31-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
MrChumley
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Mine gets heavier, as you'd expect. not notchy though. Have you got VSS?
Thanks, no I haven't got VSS. Maybe it is just feels odd because it's heavier - the lack of response is resistance rather than slack?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 05:27 AM   #5
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
One thing I have noticed this week is that I'm actually starting to prefer the suspension in sport over certain slow speedbumps. Damping out the body movements more firmly actually makes for a more comfortable ride than comfort mode.
That's interesting. Do you mean you just switch it temporarily when you know you are going to encounter a series of speed bumps, or are you leaving it in Sport generally for low speed / town driving?

Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 05:34 AM   #6
MrChumley
Major
Rep

Quote:
The standard steering gets heavier in sport mode, without particularly adding any sportiness. I've not really used it on the motorway though, as I tend to let comfort take care of things (the ride stiffens up anyway if the surface is decent - check it out with its response to cats eyes).

I know what you mean about cats eyes, and small potholes for that matter - it really soaks them up.

It's such a shame there isn't a dedicated button for the suspension though, it would be great to switch to sport independently of the drivetrain. I know you can configure the sport button to do that, but then you lose the throttle response etc.

I guess the only quick way is to have three favourite buttons set
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 05:36 AM   #7
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks, no I haven't got VSS. Maybe it is just feels odd because it's heavier - the lack of response is resistance rather than slack?
I've noticed mine feel a bit old school a low speeds when in heavy setting. feels unassisted.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
That's interesting. Do you mean you just switch it temporarily when you know you are going to encounter a series of speed bumps, or are you leaving it in Sport generally for low speed / town driving?
I generally leave it in comfort around town (which is most of my driving) in case of unexpected potholes.

There is one road that I use reasonably often that has maybe 10 consecutive speed bumps - the long ones that I think they refer to as speed tables in some councils. It has a 20mph limit, so all pretty sedate. I've recently realised that it handles these particular bumps better in sport mode - the car climbs them and drops off them with a much nicer 'motion' compared with the relative bounce of comfort mode. Short, sharp, bumps and humps are still better in comfort mode I think, but I will be looking to experiment more.

So, yes, now I am selectively and temporarily using Sport mode to improve the ride quality in certain circumstances

ETA - the fact that it adapts (as it says on the tin) does make Sport surprisingly usable even on poor roads as it will soften up. It's the OK road interrupted by a big flaw that catches it out more in that mode vs. comfort.

Last edited by MashinBenzin; 03-31-2017 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
mcoops1757.00
      03-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #9
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I know what you mean about cats eyes, and small potholes for that matter - it really soaks them up.

It's such a shame there isn't a dedicated button for the suspension though, it would be great to switch to sport independently of the drivetrain. I know you can configure the sport button to do that, but then you lose the throttle response etc.

I agree, it should be possible to configure all of the options separately - steering, suspension, throttle and gearbox. There are different times and roads where I would value that.

Appreciate 1
MrChumley453.00
      03-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
I agree, it should be possible to configure all of the options separately - steering, suspension, throttle and gearbox. There are different times and roads where I would value that.
There is. Standard on an M3 m8
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
There is. Standard on an M3 m8
Lol, yes, amongst other niceties!

I think it was also standard on the boggo A3 that I test drove a few years back too!

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Yeah pointless on an A3 as they suck to drive, chassis is snoozeville...even on the S3 i had an extended test drive of.

Shame BMW don't offer it on the lower ranks of cars though, maybe if enough people complain they will offer it
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:

True it's a pain, but you can achieve the same result quite easily.

I have programmed sport to be chassis only. If I want throttle response too I do stick left. Same outcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #14
MrChumley
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post

I have programmed sport to be chassis only. If I want throttle response too I do stick left. Same outcome.
I thought stick left just changed the gear shift points?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #15
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Dunno what it does technically but feels exactly the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #16
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:

I did this in my 30d, it works a treat. Especially as I preferred the comfort throttle map.

Though, if you do this on a 40i you never get to enjoy the left (noisy) pipe. Drivetrain needs to be set to Sport to engage this on the standard exhaust.

So, I've found I've done much more nice day town driving with windows down and Sport mode selected. Like MashinBenzin I've found the Adaptive Dampers on a 40i to work very well and give a decent ride even in sports mode.

I had a boot load of wine and beer driving back from France in my 330d. On an undulating section of motorway the car was bouncing like a 70's American station wagon... Flicked it to Sport and all was ok... For some reason the adaptation wasn't working in this situation.

So far, the later F31 340i (66 plate) seems to ride and Adapt better than the older F30 330d (14 plate) did. Maybe there is some new suspension software and we know that the lci received suspension mount changes. Anyway, it all seems to be working well.
      04-01-2017, 02:10 AM   #17
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:

Funny noticed this my self the other day,in sport setting how well the adaptive dampers handle speed bumps
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #18
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wanted to let you know I tried it this morning and you are quite right. I compared stick left with sport drivetrain and they feel different. The throttle response on sport drivetrain feels sharper.

I now have the following assumptions on which am happy to be proven wrong:

- Sport plus, which changes both drivetrain and chassis, has the same settings as the default choice for Sport, the only difference being DSC is switched off

- Stick left gives the same effect on shift points as sport drivetrain. The latter also sharpens the throttle response while the former does not.

If those are correct, you can program sport to affect just chassis and get the same effect as drivetrain + chassis by switching into Sport+, besides switching DSC off. If you have Sport programmed to only affect chassis, you therefore still have a convenient option for separately activating sport drivetrain and chassis without having to go into the menus. Ie just activate Sport+
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #19
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
If those are correct, you can program sport to affect just chassis and get the same effect as drivetrain + chassis by switching into Sport+, besides switching DSC off. If you have Sport programmed to only affect chassis, you therefore still have a convenient option for separately activating sport drivetrain and chassis without having to go into the menus. Ie just activate Sport+
I was thinking on this this morning. I've never found much issue with the Comfort Damper setup, remembering it is Adaptive after all...

Unless the car is heavily loaded or I'm really pushing in on a perfect surface, I think comfort suits my car fairly well. So, >90% of the time I probably want the Comfort Damper map.

I've disabled the mode selection pop-up on the iDrive, so I lost the option to easily change my preferences. However, it is easy map Sport Mode Setup to one of the 'magic' number buttons.

So, now 6 gives me Sport Dials and 7 gives me the Sport configuration page.

Easy to do change for one-up drives. But, as the sun comes out I can wind the windows down and enjoy sports exhaust mode while pottering along comfortably also. Win win.
      04-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I'm sure this will be an option when the new G20 3-series arrives.

The G30 has an additional option to individually configure the Sport mode. Also (according to options fitted) a new ADAPTIVE mode, like the 7-series. Adapts according to how you drive, press on and all functions respond to the driving style.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Wanted to let you know I tried it this morning and you are quite right. I compared stick left with sport drivetrain and they feel different. The throttle response on sport drivetrain feels sharper.

I now have the following assumptions on which am happy to be proven wrong:

- Sport plus, which changes both drivetrain and chassis, has the same settings as the default choice for Sport, the only difference being DSC is switched off

- Stick left gives the same effect on shift points as sport drivetrain. The latter also sharpens the throttle response while the former does not.

In case you missed it in another thread recently, this is what all the different modes do:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bwrlane153.50
      04-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #22
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beemer F30 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
However, it is easy map Sport Mode Setup to one of the 'magic' number buttons.

So, now 6 gives me Sport Dials and 7 gives me the Sport configuration page.

Easy to do change for one-up drives. But, as the sun comes out I can wind the windows down and enjoy sports exhaust mode while pottering along comfortably also. Win win.

Now, if it was possible to select sports configuration just by winding the windows down, that would be really useful..