F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > tire air leaking ... can't find the spot..
Extreme Powerhouse

03-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
immortality
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

Garage List
tire air leaking ... can't find the spot..

hi all!

I am struggling with air leaking

I replaced rear tires last year December. then a rear tire has been leaking air little by little. so i have to keep a 12V compressor in the trunk to put air when low presser sign on. this is so annoying me...
I visited local tire shop 3 times 3 different places but they could not find leaking spot... i change cap valve but still it leaks. below is information i can tell...
air leaks much faster if I drive fast... it really depends on how i drive
(90mile speed can last about 50~60 mile distance)
my wheel is style 295 oem genuine(no wheel crack, damage, leak) with oem rsc(no patch no repair)
bubble test can not find leaking spot
for the test, i drove at 150 mph then i got completely flat tire (presser gage show 0 bar)
only one suspected point is attached
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368342
can you guys advise?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortality View Post
hi all!

I replaced rear tires last year December. then a rear tire has been leaking air little by little. so i have to keep a 12V compressor in the trunk to put air when low presser sign on. this is so annoying me...
I visited local tire shop 3 times 3 different places but they could not find leaking spot... i change cap valve but still it leaks. below is information i can tell...
my wheel is style 295 oem genuine(no wheel crack, damage, leak) with oem rsc(no patch no repair)
for the test, i drove at 150 mph then i got completely flat tire (presser gage show 0 bar)
can you guys advise?
You simply didn't drive fast enough to determine the source of the leak. Next time, try driving even faster by going downhill. Also, invest in a dashcam so we can review.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortality View Post
hi all!

can you guys advise?
Uh yeah? That spot in the picture lol. It's not seated properly on the bead. I would bring it to Costco as they can find the leak 99% of the time. If it is a bubble in your sidewall, then tire manufacturer will cover it under warranty. If there is a bubble, then bring it back immediately and stop driving on it. If there is no bubble, then fill them up to below their max, maybe around 40psi, and do bubble test again. Try letting some air out of the valve during the test as this can help bubbles come faster. Again, I would bring to Costco and ask them to look, even if they can't find anything, have them pull the tire off, and remount with bead sealer. But please post more pictures of that spot as I have ever seen something like that

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
Uh yeah? That spot in the picture lol. It's not seated properly on the bead. I would bring it to Costco as they can find the leak 99% of the time. If it is a bubble in your sidewall, then tire manufacturer will cover it under warranty. If there is a bubble, then bring it back immediately and stop driving on it. If there is no bubble, then fill them up to below their max, maybe around 40psi, and do bubble test again. Try letting some air out of the valve during the test as this can help bubbles come faster. Again, I would bring to Costco and ask them to look, even if they can't find anything, have them pull the tire off, and remount with bead sealer. But please post more pictures of that spot as I have ever seen something like that
Dude, he's trolling... lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'd say the bead is literally broken, as in the cable that forms the bead. It's rare, but it happens, usually with summers or winters that get swapped with the seasons.
If he's not a troll he'll eventually find out the hard way that his moniker is anything but accurate.
Appreciate 0