F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > '18 S4 quick test drive
proTUNING Freaks

03-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I've driven the last few generations of each s4 and each time I ended up purchasing the BMW 3er alternative. I was very close to buying a 340 without test driving anything this time. But I figured I don't car shop often and it's kinda fun so I went ahead and visited each of the German dealers.

Just to give everyone some background. Over the last week I have tested a C43 AMG, 340xi MT, 340xi Auto, and an S3. I am looking to replace my daily 335xi MT e90. I also own a Porsche Cayman R, which is mostly track and weekend duty. I've narrowed my choice down to AWD models offered by each of the three big German brands.

S4
First impressions. The car they had was a metallic blue. Can't remember the color name. It was quite nice. The grille and front aero was quite aggressive. The proportions of the car were well balanced. It didn't look as big as its predecessor to me. Which was a plus as I thought the prior generation looked bulky.

Interior was spot on. I loved the seats. I've never been a fan of Audi interiors. I know many love the Audi interior style in general but I've always thought of their style as a bit much. This new cockpit is right up my alley. Modern, sleek, and simple.

The seats were pretty close to perfect. I'm a tall slender man and these seats fit me well. They were snug, well bolstered, and firm.

The drive: It felt quicker than my 335 but it probably wasn't much quicker if at all. The 8 speed auto transmission felt race car worthy. Super crisp, quick shifts. Up and down through the rev band. Instant and primal. I like to do the shifting myself so most of the test drive was spent in manual mode. I could daily commute this car and be happy never operating it in auto mode. It was that fun and it wasn't tiresome, for the whole 20 minutes I drove it The engine was silky smooth with gobs of torque everywhere. The exhaust note was probably a bit too noticeable. But it wasn't over the top. This car also has the fake sound pumping through the speakers so not sure how much of that sound I was hearing was real. I did role the windows down, and it sounded mostly real to me.

Suspension and handling. This car was equipped with dynamic suspension as it had the sport package which also included the sport rear diff. I drove the car in dynamic mode most of the time, the sportiest of the modes. I loved everything about the suspension, steering, and handling. It didn't feel heavy like the other s4s of the past that I'd driven. It didn't feel light either but comparing it to my e90 it felt as quick and as planted through the corners with similar amounts of understeer. The suspension was much more forgiving and comfortable on rough roads than my xi. Steering feel was good. Steering wheel was well designed. Loved it. This car felt more isolated to me than my e90 but mostly in a good way.

The car I drove topped out at 60k. Which puts it right in the same ball park as the 340 and the C43.

I told the sales guy that it was the best Audi I'd ever driven and that it totally surprised me. I haven't driven some of the newer RS models so I am far from an Audi expert. But I have driven some RS4s.

Audi did a brilliant job with this car. It may be the car that converts me.

Would be very interested to hear what others think of the new S4.

Cheers!

--CB
Appreciate 4
hollandog448.00
STR8-6IX536.00
Beek707.00
chiefneil771.50
      03-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
nice review. props for Audi offering real sport suspension and LSD with AWD.

Just did a quick look on audi.com. The new S4 has ZF 8 speed not 7 speed DCT.

Last edited by hollandog; 03-26-2017 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
cb460.00
      03-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Played around the config a bit.

What's the difference between Premium Plus and Prestige?
When similarly equipped on both trims, the Prestige costs $2000 more.

What's missing on the Premium Plus?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post

Thanks! I was misinformed and apparently didn't get it into 8th

I'll correct my post.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:56 AM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

How can it be an '18, there's 10 months until 2018!? :
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791434.50
      03-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:

Wondering the same thing. I found three in the area to test out. All are premium plus...

Not sure why they are configuring that way
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

I owned the B8 S4 (2009 or 2010, don't remember) and loved the car.
However, their lease deals made me forget about Audi every time...
I have a 66% residual on my 335i...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is View Post
I owned the B8 S4 (2009 or 2010, don't remember) and loved the car.
However, their lease deals made me forget about Audi every time...
I have a 66% residual on my 335i...
Pretty much what put me off Audi's every time I look at it.
The B9 exterior is pretty meh but interior seems nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
MYs can be released as early as January 1st of the preceding calendar year, at least in the US.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
I've driven the last few generations of each s4 and each time I ended up purchasing the BMW 3er alternative. I was very close to buying a 340 without test driving anything this time. But I figured I don't car shop often and it's kinda fun so I went ahead and visited each of the German dealers.

Just to give everyone some background. Over the last week I have tested a C43 AMG, 340xi MT, 340xi Auto, and an S3. I am looking to replace my daily 335xi MT e90. I also own a Porsche Cayman R, which is mostly track and weekend duty. I've narrowed my choice down to AWD models offered by each of the three big German brands.

S4
First impressions. The car they had was a metallic blue. Can't remember the color name. It was quite nice. The grille and front aero was quite aggressive. The proportions of the car were well balanced. It didn't look as big as its predecessor to me. Which was a plus as I thought the prior generation looked bulky.

Interior was spot on. I loved the seats. I've never been a fan of Audi interiors. I know many love the Audi interior style in general but I've always thought of their style as a bit much. This new cockpit is right up my alley. Modern, sleek, and simple.

The seats were pretty close to perfect. I'm a tall slender man and these seats fit me well. They were snug, well bolstered, and firm.

The drive: It felt quicker than my 335 but it probably wasn't much quicker if at all. The 8 speed auto transmission felt race car worthy. Super crisp, quick shifts. Up and down through the rev band. Instant and primal. I like to do the shifting myself so most of the test drive was spent in manual mode. I could daily commute this car and be happy never operating it in auto mode. It was that fun and it wasn't tiresome, for the whole 20 minutes I drove it The engine was silky smooth with gobs of torque everywhere. The exhaust note was probably a bit too noticeable. But it wasn't over the top. This car also has the fake sound pumping through the speakers so not sure how much of that sound I was hearing was real. I did role the windows down, and it sounded mostly real to me.

Suspension and handling. This car was equipped with dynamic suspension as it had the sport package which also included the sport rear diff. I drove the car in dynamic mode most of the time, the sportiest of the modes. I loved everything about the suspension, steering, and handling. It didn't feel heavy like the other s4s of the past that I'd driven. It didn't feel light either but comparing it to my e90 it felt as quick and as planted through the corners with similar amounts of understeer. The suspension was much more forgiving and comfortable on rough roads than my xi. Steering feel was good. Steering wheel was well designed. Loved it. This car felt more isolated to me than my e90 but mostly in a good way.

The car I drove topped out at 60k. Which puts it right in the same ball park as the 340 and the C43.

I told the sales guy that it was the best Audi I'd ever driven and that it totally surprised me. I haven't driven some of the newer RS models so I am far from an Audi expert. But I have driven some RS4s.

Audi did a brilliant job with this car. It may be the car that converts me.

Would be very interested to hear what others think of he new S4.

Cheers!

--CB
While I like the drivetrain and I'm sure the new one drives really nice, I just cant stand the exterior. its literally the same shit as the old one but with new lights front and back! if anything, I liked the old a4/s4 more in terms of looks.

I do like audi interiors though.. I gotta drive all 3 and figure out what ill be buying next.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

Quote:

Premium plus trim levels often include some of the optional features from the Premium trim and usually adds more advanced options. The A4 Premium plus upgrades to 18” 10-spoke Audi exclusive RS design wheels with 245/40-18 all-season tires. The Premium plus trim line includes the S line style package and the cold weather package. Available options include the rear passenger thorax airbags, the Audi MMI Navigation plus package with DVD player, Audi side assist blind spot monitoring, a 505 watt Bang & Olufsen sound system, and a Sport package with four way power lumbar adjustment, a sport steering wheel, sport suspension calibration, sport seats, and Audi drive select.

The top of the line Prestige package includes many of the options from Premium plus models, while making the most advanced options available for order. The Prestige trim level on the A4 also gets the 18” RS design wheels with 245/40-18 all-season tires. It also includes the MMI Navigation plus package, the Bang & Olufsen sound system, and Audi side assist. Optional on the Prestige trim are the rear passenger thorax airbags, the Sport package, Manual rear-side window and power rear window sunshades, a Driver Assist package with Audi drive select, dynamic steering and adaptive cruise control, and an S line interior package with sport steering wheel, leather covered door armrests and trim, and perforated Alcantara seating surfaces.

So basically better re-sale value......
      03-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #12
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by That340i View Post
Quote:

Premium plus trim levels often include some of the optional features from the Premium trim and usually adds more advanced options. The A4 Premium plus upgrades to 18” 10-spoke Audi exclusive RS design wheels with 245/40-18 all-season tires. The Premium plus trim line includes the S line style package and the cold weather package. Available options include the rear passenger thorax airbags, the Audi MMI Navigation plus package with DVD player, Audi side assist blind spot monitoring, a 505 watt Bang & Olufsen sound system, and a Sport package with four way power lumbar adjustment, a sport steering wheel, sport suspension calibration, sport seats, and Audi drive select.

The top of the line Prestige package includes many of the options from Premium plus models, while making the most advanced options available for order. The Prestige trim level on the A4 also gets the 18” RS design wheels with 245/40-18 all-season tires. It also includes the MMI Navigation plus package, the Bang & Olufsen sound system, and Audi side assist. Optional on the Prestige trim are the rear passenger thorax airbags, the Sport package, Manual rear-side window and power rear window sunshades, a Driver Assist package with Audi drive select, dynamic steering and adaptive cruise control, and an S line interior package with sport steering wheel, leather covered door armrests and trim, and perforated Alcantara seating surfaces.

I went and checked one out. Couldn't drive it as it just got sold...
But the interior is sweet. It's comfy. Steering wheel was nice. Exterior is pretty bland, but I guess that's what they go for. I hate Audi wheels. They are so ugly. In my opinion, at least.
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791434.50
      03-28-2017, 11:18 PM   #13
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I didn't realize the "new" S4 was already out in the U.S.? Or is this not in the U.S.? I can't tell where the OP is from on the iPhone app. The new S4 wasn't even on the Audi USA site when I checked a week ago.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:20 PM   #14
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
I didn't realize the "new" S4 was already out in the U.S.? Or is this not in the U.S.? I can't tell where the OP is from on the iPhone app. The new S4 wasn't even on the Audi USA site when I checked a week ago.
It's been there for about a month.
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50
      03-28-2017, 11:22 PM   #15
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

That is lame. They are downgrading to compete with BMW Just like BMW downgraded their maintenance package to compete with everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #16
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post
Quote:
Quote:

But the interior is sweet. It's comfy. Steering wheel was nice. Exterior is pretty bland, but I guess that's what they go for. I hate Audi wheels. They are so ugly. In my opinion, at least.
You cannot tell if it's a 2018 S4 or 2013 A4. Audi styling is awful.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #17
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

I think the upcoming S5 "Sportback" (aka "Grand Coupe") will be a compelling product.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 3
RedKloud737.00
tex26702412.50
CalCarNut1060.50
      03-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #18
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You cannot tell if it's a 2018 S4 or 2013 A4. Audi styling is awful.
Only from the tail pipes and the badge on the grill
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791434.50
      03-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #19
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Audi puts me off a bit due to it being part of the VW Group, which has scr#wed myself and a few of my friends due to widely known defects they refuse to make right.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 03-29-2017 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791434.50
      03-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #20
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Audi puts me off a bit due to it being part of the VW Group, which has scr#wed myself and a few of my friends due to widely known defects they refuse to make right.
Yes like the issue with the diesel emissions test. Also, Audis have the engine mounted in front of the front axle. Not good for handling dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #21
Bloke
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
I think the upcoming S5 "Sportback" (aka "Grand Coupe") will be a compelling product.

+1, This!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

OP, how did the C43 AMG and 340xi compare?

+1 on the S5 Sportback. I think it's about the most beautiful car coming out right now.