THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Which Trickle Charger To Use?

03-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Which Trickle Charger To Use?

So long story short I'll be overseas all summer, and I need to store my M235i. I planned on doing the standard stuff, like fuel stabilizer and over-inflating the tires to avoid flat spots, but one thing I'm unsure of is battery care. Typically I'd just disconnect the negative terminal and have someone slap a charger on the battery ever so often. With this car, considering the location of the battery and the cost, I'd rather be more careful. This car has a huge battery so what I wanna know is what capacity trickle charger will do the job? Will a regular 1.5 amp trickle charger do the job hooked up top the jumper terminals in the engine bay or is there something special I need to do? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...attery+charger

chk out the BMW chargers sold on their accessories page, if your a BMWCar Club NA member you cam use that to get a discount at participating dealers.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41908.00
Beartato881.50
      03-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
So long story short I'll be overseas all summer, and I need to store my M235i. I planned on doing the standard stuff, like fuel stabilizer and over-inflating the tires to avoid flat spots, but one thing I'm unsure of is battery care. Typically I'd just disconnect the negative terminal and have someone slap a charger on the battery ever so often. With this car, considering the location of the battery and the cost, I'd rather be more careful. This car has a huge battery so what I wanna know is what capacity trickle charger will do the job? Will a regular 1.5 amp trickle charger do the job hooked up top the jumper terminals in the engine bay or is there something special I need to do? Thank you.
You need a battery maintainer not a trickle charger. If the charger is not turned on and off exactly right the battery will either be under or over charged. A maintainer keeps it fully charged automatically and probably has a desulphation mode if the battery needs that. I use a CTEK MUS 4.3 for my Winter storage and it works fine.
I use the front jumper points and have had no problems.
Appreciate 1
Beartato881.50
      03-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Also, don't connect it directly to the battery in the trunk. Connect it to the posts in the engine bay.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
Beartato881.50
      03-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
You need a battery maintainer not a trickle charger. If the charger is not turned on and off exactly right the battery will either be under or over charged. A maintainer keeps it fully charged automatically and probably has a desulphation mode if the battery needs that. I use a CTEK MUS 4.3 for my Winter storage and it works fine.
I use the front jumper points and have had no problems.
Sweet, this is the response I was fishing for, someone who has actually stored their car and what charger they use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...attery+charger

chk out the BMW chargers sold on their accessories page, if your a BMWCar Club NA member you cam use that to get a discount at participating dealers.
Heck. Never noticed the section. The more expensive battery charger listed seems to be an exact copy of the one mentioned above with a BMW logo slapped on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Also, don't connect it directly to the battery in the trunk. Connect it to the posts in the engine bay.
Noted.

Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Sweet, this is the response I was fishing for, someone who has actually stored their car and what charger they use.
If you decide to buy the CTEK, I'd suggest you put it in Recondition mode this time.With the BMW intelligent battery system, a battery doesn't stay in the best condition no matter how much you drive the car. The maintainer showed my less than year old battery not able to hold a charge (step5). I put it in Recond mode and never had a another problem. Just a suggestion.
Appreciate 1
Beartato881.50
      03-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

This is what I use on all my 12V batteries.

http://www.batteryminders.com/1510-1...-with-warranty
      03-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
I'm a fan of Battery Tender and CTEK, both of which, I have. The thing that sucks about the BMW compared to my Porsche is the Porsche has a live cigarette lighter socket when the car is off and that's how I charged it with my CTEK. The bmw has to be hooked up under the hood which is more of a pain.
Appreciate 0